Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Article: How Much Longer Will Alex Meyer (and Twins Fans) Wait?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nobody thought they would DFA Nick Blackburn, who had two years and $10 million left on his contract. They didn't hesitate to do that.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Nobody thought they would DFA Nick Blackburn, who had two years and $10 million left on his contract. They didn't hesitate to do that.
    And how long did they sit through his ineptitude before doing it? Pelfrey isn't getting the DFA 1 month into a 2 year contract. KC might at this stage, but even so, I suspect Ryan will be attempting to line up a trade partner, even if it's for a marginal prospect.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to see Alex Meyer up north ASAP, but I do not see this happening soon. As a matter of fact, I think that if the Twins need a starter from AAA, it will be Trevor May and not Meyer. Other than the 40-man situation (which can be alleviated since Eric Fryer and Brook Raley are on it,) I think that Meyer has few ways to go with the shoulder. He is taking a full 20 minutes or so to stretch it with resistance bands before each game. He is on a pretty severe pitch limit. And I think that the Twins have every reason to do that. I'd rather see him healthy, fully rehabbed and go deep into games in MN for many seasons, than have a cup of coffee this season.

Frankly, I just don't see it happening...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only way Meyer gets called up before September is if a rash of injuries occurs. Deduno and May are ahead of him on the rotation list.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    The only way Meyer gets called up before September is if a rash of injuries occurs. Deduno and May are ahead of him on the rotation list.
    And apparently Kris Johnson is ahead of them both

(no; has to do with the turn in Rochester rotation...)
    Last edited by Thrylos; 04-29-2014 at 07:38 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    You should go back and check how many times they wheeled that corpse out to the mound before they finally had some mercy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Actually, they didn't get around to that until there was just over one season and ~$6.5 mil left on Blackburn's deal (in August 2012).

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I'd like to see Alex Meyer up north ASAP, but I do not see this happening soon. As a matter of fact, I think that if the Twins need a starter from AAA, it will be Trevor May and not Meyer. Other than the 40-man situation (which can be alleviated since Eric Fryer and Brook Raley are on it,) I think that Meyer has few ways to go with the shoulder. He is taking a full 20 minutes or so to stretch it with resistance bands before each game. He is on a pretty severe pitch limit. And I think that the Twins have every reason to do that. I'd rather see him healthy, fully rehabbed and go deep into games in MN for many seasons, than have a cup of coffee this season.

Frankly, I just don't see it happening...
    Thanks for the input. From the game logs, his in-game pitch limit seems to be exactly the same as the other Rochester starters so far.

As to the shoulder, I too would exercise caution, but if he's throwing 100 pitches every 5th day, I don't see how it's better for his shoulder to do that in AAA rather than MLB. And if he's on a season inning limit, letting him log the first bulk of that limit at AAA when he is otherwise healthy and effective also seems of dubious value (see Gibson, Kyle).

Blog Entries

The main reason they called up Johnson instead of Meyer is he's on the 40-man and Meyer isn't. It's kind of a free move with the 25th man rule.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Actually, they didn't get around to that until there was just over one season and ~$6.5 mil left on Blackburn's deal (in August 2012).
    It was a three-year deal. So he had two years left on it when they DFA'd him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    It was a three-year deal. So he had two years left on it when they DFA'd him.
    It was a four-year deal, and it began in 2010. So when they DFA'd him in August 2012, it was near the completion of the third season, with just a little over one season remaining.

There was a fifth-year club option for 2014, if that is what you are thinking of:
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...extension.html

12. These 2 users like spycake's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (04-29-2014), USAFChief (04-29-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Thanks for the input. From the game logs, his in-game pitch limit seems to be exactly the same as the other Rochester starters so far.

As to the shoulder, I too would exercise caution, but if he's throwing 100 pitches every 5th day, I don't see how it's better for his shoulder to do that in AAA rather than MLB. And if he's on a season inning limit, letting him log the first bulk of that limit at AAA when he is otherwise healthy and effective also seems of dubious value (see Gibson, Kyle).
    This paragraph really sums up the situation quite well. The Twins 2013 process of going through weird gyrations and machinations with the starting rotation- like giving 5th and 6th chances to non-entities like PJ Walters and Pedro Hernandez- lays bare the concept of "prospect blocking" and how much of it is actually performance-related and what percentage is related to prospect "readiness" (apparently not so much) and to non-performance issues (evidently quite a bit).

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The main reason they called up Johnson instead of Meyer is he's on the 40-man and Meyer isn't. It's kind of a free move with the 25th man rule.
    ...And that Meyer just pitched on Monday and is unavailable and that Johnson just had his turn rained out last evening....

15. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (04-30-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In terms of value, Corriea is still pitching around 6 innings per start. He's throwing some good games and some crap. He's an ok option for a 5th starter. Meyer is better then Corriea but having Meyer as the 6th option is better than Johnson or Darnel Logan or May as there is a drop off in talent after Meyer. So the question is how much of a drop off is it from Corriea to Johnson. It looks like were about to get a sample of the answer on Thursday.

At this point in the season it is more important to have options to turn to because there are so many more games to play. As we play more games there will be fewer chances of injuries though that doesn't mean we won't have them. Just less likely to have a rash of them or there will be fewer games left if we do have multiple injuries in pitching add that to some of our pitchers developing and it makes sense to trade Corriea to a team looking for depth. Oakland had 2 starters undergo Tommy John surgery this year and still have 5 solid starters. They do not have much left to turn to if there is another injury. mlbtraderumors.com speculated the other day that Oakland is essentially looking for a 6th starter. Corriea is a perfect fit for them especially as we pay down some of his salary over the next month or 2.
    I do want to note that I think our pitching is so much deeper than it has been the last several seasons.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    no, at this point it is more important to have your best players up, giving you a better chance to win games. Doesn't matter how many options you have, if you are 15 games under .500. I don't understand how that is hard to understand. Can you help me understand why it is better to have worse players playing (increasing your odds of losing), but to have more of them?
    Lighten up Francis....

18. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (04-30-2014)

Blog Entries

and Johnson is 29 years old in AAA, not exactly high upside, so if he works out, he's on Pelfrey's turn in the rotation so he's easy to slot quickly, if being moved around hurts him, you aren't wrecking a high value prospect.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    At this point in the season it is more important to have options to turn to because there are so many more games to play. As we play more games there will be fewer chances of injuries though that doesn't mean we won't have them.
    Wouldn't necessarily have to trade Correia, just shift him to the pen. Tonkin is being under-utilized there at the moment anyway. So you wouldn't lose any starting options (which I agree are good to have), just re-shuffle them to try to get the best ones in positions to contribute to the MLB club.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    no, at this point it is more important to have your best players up, giving you a better chance to win games. Doesn't matter how many options you have, if you are 15 games under .500. I don't understand how that is hard to understand. Can you help me understand why it is better to have worse players playing (increasing your odds of losing), but to have more of them?
    It's true, but you also need depth. In the case, I think there's plenty of depth to risk losing an under-performer, but it's a slippery slope. Injuries can take care of this problem for you whether you're prepared or not.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    No one is arguing depth is bad......I am arguing that having great players is more important than having depth. You can't live your life in fear of injury....and keep your best player in AAA just because some bad player might get hurt in the future. Do you then not bring him up, because he might get hurt, and there is no depth behind him?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    You can't live your life in fear of injury....and keep your best player in AAA just because some bad player might get hurt in the future. Do you then not bring him up, because he might get hurt, and there is no depth behind him?
    "Yes. Until he stopped sliding head first (after I told him not to). I want him on the field and healthy.....this isn't about false hustle or other silly stuff, this is about keeping your best player on the field."

Sure.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast