Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Appel sent to EST

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts

Mark Appel sent to EST

Last year's #1 overall pick has had a tough time adjusting to A ball and a pro pitcher's 5 day schedule. So the Astros sent him back to EST hoping to get him right.

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2014/4/...pring-training

The 22 year old was at the Astros high A team (equivalent to the Twins Ft Myers team where the 20 year old Berrios is our best pitching prospect). Astros have had some interesting drafts these last few years, passing on Buxton, Gausman, Zunino, Gray and Bryant (among others) to nab Correa and Appel. Correa is also at A+ and holding his own.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Last year's #1 overall pick has had a tough time adjusting to A ball and a pro pitcher's 5 day schedule. So the Astros sent him back to EST hoping to get him right.

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2014/4/...pring-training

The 22 year old was at the Astros high A team (equivalent to the Twins Ft Myers team where the 20 year old Berrios is our best pitching prospect). Astros have had some interesting drafts these last few years, passing on Buxton, Gausman, Zunino, Gray and Bryant (among others) to nab Correa and Appel. Correa is also at A+ and holding his own.
    Gray was 2011. They picked 11th that year and grabbed Springer.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Correia was also about going under slot, and getting another top guy later, though. It was sort of a 1.5 for 1 trade, if you know what I mean. And, Correia has looked worthy of a top pick (if not the top pick). I've also read that there may be an injury issue with Appel.....which would suck. I like to see the best players play.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder about injury too. Hard to explain it otherwise.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Gray was 2011. They picked 11th that year and grabbed Springer.
    No, Jonathan Gray was picked in 2013. Third player taken overall.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=gray--001jon

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    The MiLB article I read emphasized that Appel is not injured, but also notes that his FB velocity is down considerably this spring.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp..._l110&sid=l110

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I wonder about injury too. Hard to explain it otherwise.
    He did have an appendectomy in the offseason and may not have fully healed when he came back and started pushing. Sort of Mauer's leg surgery fiasco.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    This guy's career hasn't really gone as planned so far.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    No, Jonathan Gray was picked in 2013. Third player taken overall.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=gray--001jon
    Figured you meant Sonny Gray. Not sure anyone can rip them at this point regardless as those players are still in the minors. That Appel hasn't leaped forward isn't their fault as the teams who had other picks very likely would have made the same pick. Correa was another story, but even then, it's hard to rip them too much for that overall draft, which is what made Correa the #1 pick, part of the beauty of the current system for the draft.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    The MiLB article I read emphasized that Appel is not injured, but also notes that his FB velocity is down considerably this spring.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp..._l110&sid=l110
    Hmm. Sounds like bilateral arm weakness to me.

11. These 2 users like jimv2's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (04-29-2014), SydneyTwinsFan (04-29-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm in the camp of I want to see the great talents play, so hopefully it's a short-term thing and he can get to the big leagues soon. That said, when this story came out last week, it certainly opened a lot of eyes.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't wish him any ill will, and I hope he recovers. But I also hope young players take a lesson from this. Take the opportunities you are given and don't hold out for a huge payout. Tomorrow isn't a given to any of us.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I don't wish him any ill will, and I hope he recovers. But I also hope young players take a lesson from this. Take the opportunities you are given and don't hold out for a huge payout. Tomorrow isn't a given to any of us.
    Either that or take the big payout whenever you can because nothing is guaranteed later.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Either that or take the big payout whenever you can because nothing is guaranteed later.
    Or, treat life as a multi-stage stochastic process, take your best forecasts and make your decisions at each stage, and then live with the results. [/geek]

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Or, treat life as a multi-stage stochastic process, take your best forecasts and make your decisions at each stage, and then live with the results. [/geek]
    There's no chain like a Markov Chain.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

17. These 2 users like crarko's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (04-30-2014), twinsfan34 (04-30-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I once had a Russian chemistry professor explain stoichiometry with cheeseburgers as an example.......it was glorious; I was the only one awake.
    I will one day successfully sneak onto the Sportive Podcast, and have nothing intelligent to say or add to the conversation.

19. This user likes LimestoneBaggy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (04-30-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LimestoneBaggy View Post
    I once had a Russian chemistry professor explain stoichiometry with cheeseburgers as an example.......it was glorious; I was the only one awake.
    I once had Russian dressing, then I found out it has beets in it. Ew.

/ PS: stochastic != stoichiometry, as I bet you know

21. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LimestoneBaggy (04-30-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Correa is also at A+ and holding his own.
    I'd say he's doing more than holding his own. He's 19 at high A and has a .300/.366/.463 slash.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Or listen to the people around you that care about you, not your agent. Scott Boras has a portfolio of 100's of clients. So if Appel turned down #8 money to go back to school, he was taking on a lot more risk than Boras, who is obviously already a multi-millionaire.

Same for a guy like Max Scherzer. Boras would love you to turn down $150M and become a free agent in a year. If he does that with each of his 100 clients, he will be better rewarded because although a few will get hurt, he will still end up ahead with those that didn't (not to mention his clients that hit the FA market will push up the highest AAV values, helping his other clients). But if you are Appel or Scherzer, take the security.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Or listen to the people around you that care about you, not your agent. Scott Boras has a portfolio of 100's of clients. So if Appel turned down #8 money to go back to school, he was taking on a lot more risk than Boras, who is obviously already a multi-millionaire.

Same for a guy like Max Scherzer. Boras would love you to turn down $150M and become a free agent in a year. If he does that with each of his 100 clients, he will be better rewarded because although a few will get hurt, he will still end up ahead with those that didn't (not to mention his clients that hit the FA market will push up the highest AAV values, helping his other clients). But if you are Appel or Scherzer, take the security.
    Actually, it worked out for Appel - going back to school netted him several more millions than if he had signed with the Pirates (it also helped the Twins net Stewart by adding one more pick into the 2013 draft).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast