Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neal: Rosario has nothing to do but wait

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Neal: Rosario has nothing to do but wait

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/257268071.html

LaVelle Neal was able to talk to Eddie Rosario late last week about his 50-game suspension and what he's doing now and going forward. We've all had a lot of questions and this answers some of them.

Hopefully he's learned from his mistakes, but it's good to hear him said, "I miss baseball bad!"

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Geebers....he smoked a joint and lost a half year or year of baseball. What a screwed up planet......it is OK to throw a baseball at a guy "to teach him a lesson", and potentially injure him, but not OK to smoke a joint. Wow. What a world.

Hopefully they move him to LF, and get him here fast. Between Dozier and Polanco, they look set at 2B (and not so set in the OF, as Hicks continues his slide).
    Lighten up Francis....

3. These 3 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (04-30-2014), Taildragger8791 (04-30-2014), Tibs (04-30-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Here's hoping.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I never have and never will understand why marijuana is a banned substance in professional sports testing.

May as well ban supersized meals and double cheeseburgers while we're at it. It would have lengthened Sidney Ponson's MLB career.

6. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (04-30-2014), mike wants wins (04-30-2014), PseudoSABR (04-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I never have and never will understand why marijuana is a banned substance in professional sports testing.

May as well ban supersized meals and double cheeseburgers while we're at it. It would have lengthened Sidney Ponson's MLB career.
    One reason is that MJ one of the few drugs that it's really easy to test for.

Do Rockies' prospects and players get a pass on testing now?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries

Perhaps this: http://www.popsci.com/scitech/articl...mance-enhancer

But mostly society is likely not ready for our athletes (purported role models) to be sitting around smoking pot in any venue. Hypocritical in relation to alcohol and thickburger abuse, possibly, but if you reasonably (societally) curb bad press in one area of your players personal lives and get away with it, a professional sports organization is going to do it.....possibly any organization.
    I will one day successfully sneak onto the Sportive Podcast, and have nothing intelligent to say or add to the conversation.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I assume you mean besides 'because it's illegal in 48 states in this country?'

The weird thing is that players on the 40 man roster can't be tested for "Drugs of Abuse" but it is in the minors.

10. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (05-01-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post

The weird thing is that players on the 40 man roster can't be tested for "Drugs of Abuse" but it is in the minors.
    I personally think it should be legal in the US and should not be included in minor league testing. Having said that, it is and Rosario had to know it. I also believe you first get a warning, then a 50 game suspension on your second offense. So it seems wreckless and extremely immature on Rosario's part.

12. These 4 users like tobi0040's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (04-30-2014), Kevin (04-30-2014), nicksaviking (04-30-2014), USAFChief (04-30-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't understand why the drug is illegal in the first place. Within 10 years, it will be a legal recreational drug across the country, as states replicate CO to close revenue gaps and reduce the burden of MJ on their prison systems (estimated at more than a third of the inmates).

That kind of puts it in context. Yeah it was a 50-game suspension, but thousands of people are serving life sentences for three counts of MJ possession in California alone, where you can buy the stuff in vending machines with a prescription.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

14. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

zchrz (04-30-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    It is illegal to do a lot of things that do not generate 50 game suspensions.

16. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (04-30-2014), whosafraidofluigirussolo (05-01-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post

It's illegal to drive past the speed limit but I'm not sure baseball is handing out anything for that.

Out of curiosity...if a 19 year old in a team's farm gets caught underage drinking, does anyone know what the penalty is?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    It is illegal to do a lot of things that do not generate 50 game suspensions.
    I understand, but if it is legal, should it trigger a suspension? What if you played for Colorado Springs or Tacoma and tested positive for MJ? You would be getting a suspension for using something you could buy in the corner store.

Senior Member MVP
    Frankly, this makes me 100% no longer worried about his future. Move him to LF, and get him up here this year. I will be bummed if he is playing 2B this year....Dozier is set, and Polanco can come up in 2 years.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    It's illegal to drive past the speed limit but I'm not sure baseball is handing out anything for that.

Out of curiosity...if a 19 year old in a team's farm gets caught underage drinking, does anyone know what the penalty is?
    Speculating, probably an embarrassing headline ina paper nobody will read like the Cedar Rapids chronicle or Rochester Gazette.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I personally think it should be legal in the US and should not be included in minor league testing. Having said that, it is and Rosario had to know it. I also believe you first get a warning, then a 50 game suspension on your second offense. So it seems wreckless and extremely immature on Rosario's part.
    Yup. Regardless of which side of the pot issue you fall on, if the guys who you are trying to get a million dollar paycheck from tell you not to do it, well it's your own damn fault if you disregard their warning.

I'm mostly in favor of legalizing it, but the continued drug failures of these professional athletes who face losing millions of dollars if they use it really does point to an addiction problem with weed. Ruining your career and losing a boatload of money because you can't resist speaks of a pretty bad problem.

Senior Member MVP
    Or, that he tried it once......we have no idea how much anyone has used if they fail a test. I don't think it shows addiction at all to fail one test.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MLB is hardly the only employer to test for THC. Its their prerogative. And it makes perfect sense from a productivity angle IMO.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Or, that he tried it once......we have no idea how much anyone has used if they fail a test. I don't think it shows addiction at all to fail one test.

He failed two, the first is a warning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Yup. Regardless of which side of the pot issue you fall on, if the guys who you are trying to get a million dollar paycheck from tell you not to do it, well it's your own damn fault if you disregard their warning.

I'm mostly in favor of legalizing it, but the continued drug failures of these professional athletes who face losing millions of dollars if they use it really does point to an addiction problem with weed. Ruining your career and losing a boatload of money because you can't resist speaks of a pretty bad problem.
    I agree that it is incredibly stupid to do something the league tests for, legal or not. But I don't think it means anything in particular beyond stupidity. Perhaps he thought he wouldn't get caught. Perhaps he was out with friends and they offered and he accepted without thinking about the consequences. Speaking of which, I've heard of guys testing positive after just being in a car with guys smoking, without actually partaking themselves. (At least that's what they said.) (Also, Clinton didn't inhale.) I can think of myriad ways this mistake can manifest itself with a player. The important thing is he accepts his mistake and I have 99% confidence that he'll never do it again (at least until he's on the 40-man).

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts

But can't you see that marijuana is a gateway drug!?

First the pot, then the cheeseburgers, then the supersized meals - it's the first step on a path to ruin! Won't somebody please think of the pitchers!

27. These 2 users like 70charger's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mike Frasier Law (04-30-2014), Monkeypaws (04-30-2014)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast