Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Explain the use of Tonkin

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts

Explain the use of Tonkin

Can someone explain why Tonkin only faces 1 batter every outing? Is he actually not as good as EVERY other RP on the roster?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    It seems like Gardy wants Tonkin to pitch when the Twins are doing a mid-inning pitching change. 6 of his 9 appearances so far this year have come with runners on base. He's been used in higher leverage situations this past month than he ever has before.

Compare him to Burton, who has the same number of appearances, but has yet to enter the game this season with a runner on base. Burton has managed to allow more runners to score (9) even if you charge all of Tonkin's inherited runs allowed to Tonkin's line.

I think the numbers should look better as the season progresses. Tonkin has been in some unenviable situations so far and has done ok. Duensing and Swarzak both have a better strand rate so far, but I think Tonkin has shown that he handles being thrown into the fire about as well as anyone in the bullpen.

Last night he only faced two batters because the following inning Gardy wanted a lefty-lefty matchup to start (Duensing v. Carl Crawford). If a righty was up first, Gardy may have elected to leave Tonkin in longer.

3. This user likes Kirby_Waved_At_Me's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-02-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Thanks, it is hard to see what happened from the box score (haven't been able to listen much lately). That all made sense.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe he's quicker to the plate than Burton, or better able to induce ground balls. With the Twins, there's always a reason. The problem is their reasons are not always very intelligent.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's to clear the bases for the next guy. Seriously, the guy has allowed 5 of 9 inherited runners to score. Someone needs to tell him that a 95 MPH straight fastball down the middle is a juicy treat for major league hitters.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    It's to clear the bases for the next guy. Seriously, the guy has allowed 5 of 9 inherited runners to score. Someone needs to tell him that a 95 MPH straight fastball down the middle is a juicy treat for major league hitters.
    Maybe a bigger sample size than 7 IP before judging a guy on something with as much variance as Inherited runners scored %?

It is actually 4 of 9 that have scored (not 5 of 9.) Which brings his career totals to 6 of 19 scored which is almost right at league average ( 29%). Prior to last night's game it was at 4 of 17, which would have made him better than league average.

If you are going to caution people to exercise caution making judgements with small sample sizes, in other threads, it may be prudent to do the same here. We are talking about 7 IP, after all.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I think that's a horrible way to manage releivers and a recipie for future injuries... maybe I'm wrong, but Gardy likes his managin, and this is one of his favorite things. Given Tonkin's success in the minors, I'd give him an inning or two in lower leverage situations and work him up as he earns it.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 376 Times in 199 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Can someone explain why Tonkin only faces 1 batter every outing? Is he actually not as good as EVERY other RP on the roster?

Answer #1 - Just to annoy you, MWW.
    Answer #2 - To Be Determined.

10. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-02-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Thanks for the laugh, Seth!
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    I always liked the fire engine and the dump truck. They were both easy to use, too.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

13. These 2 users like crarko's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-02-2014), mike wants wins (05-01-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Maybe a bigger sample size than 7 IP before judging a guy on something with as much variance as Inherited runners scored %?

It is actually 4 of 9 that have scored (not 5 of 9.) Which brings his career totals to 6 of 19 scored which is almost right at league average ( 29%). Prior to last night's game it was at 4 of 17, which would have made him better than league average.

If you are going to caution people to exercise caution making judgements with small sample sizes, in other threads, it may be prudent to do the same here. We are talking about 7 IP, after all.
    With relievers, you deal in small samples. There are never enough innings to draw conclusions from the numbers with relievers. That's why we use scouting. As often as not, he has come in with runners on base and thrown his fastball down the middle to the first hitter, who smacked it into the outfield for RBI. That has to stop.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    With relievers, you deal in small samples. There are never enough innings to draw conclusions from the numbers with relievers. That's why we use scouting. As often as not, he has come in with runners on base and thrown his fastball down the middle to the first hitter, who smacked it into the outfield for RBI. That has to stop.
    6 times out of 19 is "as often as not"?
    I'm no math major, but 13 of one, and 6 of another hardly seem the same.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    6 times out of 19 is "as often as not"?
    I'm no math major, but 13 of one, and 6 of another hardly seem the same.
    OK, sorry I used loose language.
    Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 05-01-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    2 words:

Gardy
    Andy
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member MVP
    Maybe I am wrong....
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    I always liked the fire engine and the dump truck. They were both easy to use, too.
    Dump truck was awesome. The Christmas that I got mine I used it to haul my nine month old cousin from the kitchen into the living room, and dumped him on his back in front of my parents and his.