Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Pelfrey and KC, killing me softly.

  1. #1

    Pelfrey and KC, killing me softly.

    Alright, it's time to make the move. Either one of them has to go to DL, BP or get cut. I don't care which one. I wish it was both, but I know we won't get rid of both, yet.

    If Johnson throws well, he can stay. If he doesn't then next man up. Deduno or Meyer would be the best choices IMO.

  2. #2
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,097
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    I think Pelfrey has to go first. He's throwing 2-3 mph under his career norm and has been absolutely brutal in almost every start.

  3. These 4 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Danchat (05-01-2014), Sconnie (05-01-2014), Siehbiscuit (05-02-2014), Trautmann13 (05-01-2014)

  4. #3
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Deduno for Pelfrey (at the start of games, pls). In about 4 weeks, Meyer for KC. That's about 1.5-2 runs off the ERA....should net a win or 5.

    Signing Pelfrey.....to two years.....who thought that was a good idea?
    Lighten up Francis....

  5. #4
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,035
    Like
    1,626
    Liked 487 Times in 284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Signing Pelfrey.....to two years.....who thought that was a good idea?
    Three people: Mike Pelfrey, Mike Pelfrey's agent, and me.

  6. These 5 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    chuchadoro (05-01-2014), Sconnie (05-01-2014), Siehbiscuit (05-02-2014), snepp (05-01-2014), USAFChief (05-01-2014)

  7. #5
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,219
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    155
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Johnson stays up, Pelf to DL. After tonight's game.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

  8. #6
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Three people: Mike Pelfrey, Mike Pelfrey's agent, and me.

    1. If that were true, they wouldn't have signed him.....
    2. I don't blame you, you aren't paid lots of money and don't spend all day* trying to figure out what to do with MLB players.

    *I assume you don't spend all day on this stuf....
    Lighten up Francis....

  9. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Hosken Bombo Disco (05-01-2014)

  10. #7
    Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    1,083
    Like
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Three people: Mike Pelfrey, Mike Pelfrey's agent, and me.
    Wow... surprising that Pelf's mom didn't give him a vote of confidence.

  11. These 3 users like Boom Boom's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Danchat (05-01-2014), snepp (05-01-2014), USAFChief (05-01-2014)

  12. #8
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,035
    Like
    1,626
    Liked 487 Times in 284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Wow... surprising that Pelf's mom didn't give him a vote of confidence.
    Nope I texted her about this thread and she didn't get back to me, so nope.

  13. #9
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    245
    Like
    0
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Deduno in for Pelfrey. KC gets traded before the deadline and Meyer comes up.

  14. #10
    Senior Member All-Star Sconnie's Avatar
    Posts
    1,088
    Like
    606
    Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Johnson stays up, Pelf to DL. After tonight's game.
    Interesting prediction. It makes a lot of sense since Johnson is now on Pelfrey's spot in the rotation, and he's not exactly a young prospect, so if you ruin him, it's not like you've lost Meyer.

    How long til Pelf gets the 60 day DL for rotator cuff or something so they can add Meyer to the 40 man?

  15. #11
    Senior Member All-Star Sconnie's Avatar
    Posts
    1,088
    Like
    606
    Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Three people: Mike Pelfrey, Mike Pelfrey's agent, and me.
    I fell into the false "he's not injured anymore" trap too. I got suckered in by SSS the middle of 2013, instead of paying attention to the shoulder (I assume) acting up late in 2013.

  16. #12
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,167
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I think Pelfrey has to go first. He's throwing 2-3 mph under his career norm and has been absolutely brutal in almost every start.
    I will let game temperatures average 60 degrees before I make generalizations about small and cold sample sizes...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  17. #13
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    136
    Like
    340
    Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I will let game temperatures average 60 degrees before I make generalizations about small and cold sample sizes...
    When will that be...June?

  18. #14
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,072
    Like
    1,804
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheeltwinsfan View Post
    When will that be...June?
    June?


    Optimist.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  19. #15
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,219
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    155
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Interesting prediction. It makes a lot of sense since Johnson is now on Pelfrey's spot in the rotation, and he's not exactly a young prospect, so if you ruin him, it's not like you've lost Meyer.

    How long til Pelf gets the 60 day DL for rotator cuff or something so they can add Meyer to the 40 man?
    Looks like zero for two on the prediction. That's the nature of predictions, though.

    I hope we get a chance to see Johnson again. A lefty who can get some K's would still be a useful addition to this staff.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

  20. #16
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    245
    Like
    0
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I will let game temperatures average 60 degrees before I make generalizations about small and cold sample sizes...
    Sigh.....another wait until the weather warms up excuse. I believe it is cold every April and sometimes May. I believe the MLB season always starts at the beginning of April. I'm interested in pitchers that can compete the entire season including the first two months.

  21. #17
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    245
    Like
    0
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Looks like zero for two on the prediction. That's the nature of predictions, though.

    I hope we get a chance to see Johnson again. A lefty who can get some K's would still be a useful addition to this staff.
    OK, this is the poster child for why strikeouts are overrated. The guy needed 110 pitches to make it to the 4th innning. We need that like we need a hole in the head.

  22. #18
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,097
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    OK, this is the poster child for why strikeouts are overrated. The guy needed 110 pitches to make it to the 4th innning. We need that like we need a hole in the head.
    While I'm not a big fan of Johnson, it was one start against a pretty potent offense. Let's not base his entire career on it.

  23. #19
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    245
    Like
    0
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    While I'm not a big fan of Johnson, it was one start against a pretty potent offense. Let's not base his entire career on it.
    His minor league walk rates indicate that what we saw yesterday is pretty much what we will get. He does have some stuff, which is nice to see but he really looks like a guy that doesn't command it well. The slow as molasses thing doesn't help either.

  24. #20
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,097
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    His minor league walk rates indicate that what we saw yesterday is pretty much what we will get. He does have some stuff, which is nice to see but he really looks like a guy that doesn't command it well. The slow as molasses thing doesn't help either.
    I think it's a stretch to say his MiLB 3.6 BB/9 indicates that he'll walk 6 in 4 innings as an MLB starter every time.

    Like I said, I don't really like Johnson but I don't put much stock in one start against a good team.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.