Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dump List

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Dump List

Most of the roster has done pretty well. Some have floundered greatly. On May 1, here is the dump list for the Twins:

1) Mike Pelfrey--The numbers are terrible. His confidence is at an all-time low and he doesn't have great stuff. Both Pelfrey's velocity and location have been miserable. Perhaps he is injured?

2) Pedro Florimon--Good (maybe better than that) defense can't make up for a sub-.400 OPS. He didn't hit well last year and this year has so far been an abomination.

3) Aaron Hicks--For the second straight spring, Hicks has teased us with showing tools and developing skills in Spring Training, followed by poor hitting when the games are for real.

4) Jared Burton--He's older, probably not needed with the Twins deep bullpen, and has slipped markedly since his outstanding 2011.

5) Kevin Correia--Very low upside and on the last year of his contract. Correia may or may not be blocking a better pitcher. He certainly is in front of pitchers with much more upside.

I agree with all 5 of your choices. I think that what will ACTUALLY happen is...

Pelfrey just gets let go, Pohlad has a big enough mouth to eat 11 mill.

Florimon simply looses his starting job to Escobar, who has been hitting very well lately.

Hicks will get the rest of this year in a sort of platoon with Fuld. I believe they still have some faith. (whether they should or not is the question)

Burton will be tacked in with at trade this July along with...

...Kevin Corriea, who is basically worthless to this team when Meyer is up.

Best case we are able to dump KC along with Burton for 2 balls and a bat, or whatever the equivalent is. That may not be possible though

3. This user likes Trautmann13's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

grubah (05-01-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks should have started teh year in AAA. I don't think this was a smart move for him at all, even if that meant an even worse year out of Presley or Maesteroni. The rest of your list I'm in agreement with, though honestly, I only see Florimon happening in the near future. The other 3 are under contract, which means they'll probably get a good chunk of this month to turn things around.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd add Colabello to the list. Trade him while he has value and toss in Burton, Pelfrey or Correia.
    Major League pitching and advanced scouting have caught up to Colabello. We got his best, now lets trade him for some value

6. This user likes Thegrin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (05-02-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    I'd add Colabello to the list. Trade him while he has value and toss in Burton, Pelfrey or Correia.
    Major League pitching and advanced scouting have caught up to Colabello. We got his best, now lets trade him for some value
    It would be a great move if they could get value for Colabello but I seriously doubt that happens until he proves he can handle the adjustments teams/pitchers are making.

Put Deduno in the starting rotation and Pelfrey in long relief.

Does Florimon have any options left? It would be nice to keep him there as an insurance policy. Let's see what Escobar can due in let Nunez play the utility role.

Coreia will get traded or released by the trade deadline.

Keep Hicks around. Worse case scenario he can be the 4th outfielder.

8. This user likes Major Leauge Ready's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (05-02-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Colabello has no value right now. Teams don't give up quality players for one good month.

10. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (05-02-2014), PseudoSABR (05-02-2014), USAFChief (05-02-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Colabello has no value right now. Teams don't give up quality players for one good month.
    I dunno, I was able to get Drew Hutchison for him in my dynasty league.
    Perhaps Antony should be putting in a call to Toronto?

12. This user likes Mr. Brooks's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-02-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I agree with all five of your choices. Good move, committing 2 years to Pelfrey. Hicks is NOT a MLB hitter, and appears not to be that good a fielder either. He needs to be in AAA, hitting only RH until he proves he can hit. SS, well, that's a disaster, like we knew it would be. None of this is surprising (the bad parts, there have been a couple of nice surprises, but those are 1-2 yeard things).
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    I put Pelfrey on the top of the "Dump List" and it looks like he will at least lose his spot in the rotation temporarily. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Pelfrey was pitching in a starting rotation somewhere not only later this year, but also next year. I think he is injured or something. He doesn't have to lose much off his fastball to become a batting practice pitcher and right now that is what he is. If he goes on the DL or accepts a demotion I think there is a chance that the Twins can get some performance out of him. It is tough to be patient with a 30+ starting pitcher whose upside is back-of-the-rotation starter. I don't blame the Twins if they discard him, but I won't blame them if they give him another chance.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Given Pelfrey's size; I wonder if a move to the bullpen can make better use of his leverage and add some mphs to his fastball.

The Twins have enough depth to let these guys keep failing; in prior years, it was necessary to continue putting such players out there, because they players behind them weren't necessarily any better, and were likely worse.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Given Pelfrey's size; I wonder if a move to the bullpen can make better use of his leverage and add some mphs to his fastball.
    This was one of the primary reasons why I wasn't 100% against the Pelfrey signing. If he's throwing at 94mph from the bullpen, you can get value out of that guy.

But yesterday, he was sitting at 89-90mph. He's no good anywhere at that velocity.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Plenty of high upside RP in the minors! Let's actually start promoting them, and use them in MN, rather than a failed starter that the fans are tired of seeing......Lots of teams promote RP fast, to get them up in teh majors before their arms start decreasing in health/ability.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    This was one of the primary reasons why I wasn't 100% against the Pelfrey signing. If he's throwing at 94mph from the bullpen, you can get value out of that guy.

But yesterday, he was sitting at 89-90mph. He's no good anywhere at that velocity.
    I was watching the game, and Bert was talking about how he was throwing flat and not making use of his height. I hoping the mere repetition of the bullpen will help him iron out his mechanical flaws in more frequent game situations.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    I'd agree, not sure Bill Smith would though.

20. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-02-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    I'm not on board with the Colabello negativity. Yes, his average has dropped sharply in the past 10 days, but I think he is hitting with bad luck. I'm still seeing a lot of good at bats...heck, two feet either way on his liner last night and he has a 2-run game-winning base hit.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by longstrangetrip View Post
    I'm not on board with the Colabello negativity. Yes, his average has dropped sharply in the past 10 days, but I think he is hitting with bad luck. I'm still seeing a lot of good at bats...heck, two feet either way on his liner last night and he has a 2-run game-winning base hit.
    There's some truth in this. In his last seven days, Colabello has a BABIP of .111. Over his last 14 days, it's just .240.

I don't think we'll ever see early April's Chris Colabello again but there's still a good shot he turns into a serviceable DH and backup corner guy.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    There's some truth in this. In his last seven days, Colabello has a BABIP of .111. Over his last 14 days, it's just .240.

I don't think we'll ever see early April's Chris Colabello again but there's still a good shot he turns into a serviceable DH and backup corner guy.
    Thanks for the stat, Brock...I had a feeling he was experiencing a lot of bad luck. I was especially impressed with his at bat against a tough closer last night. He fought off some tough pitches, and finally hit a rocket...unfortunately right at AGon.

I actually would've added Swarzak to the list, too. Why they didn't try and get value for him before his season. Bullpen arms are replaceable, folks.

Add in such non-entities as Herrmann and Escobar. Plus will Willingham, Suzucki, Kubel be back in 2015.

The problem is that the Twins are playing .500 ball right now (or close to it) and they can't have anotehr losing season. They have to patch together with whatever they pay for and hope for the better, if not the best.

Maybe Pelfrey can work out his kinks in the bullpen, but we don't need Burton and Swarzak also stinking things up.

Hopefully Arcia will hit. But if he doesn't, the Twins can't afford to have Florimon and Hicks and Arcia stinkin' up the lineup.

They need a bench.

Nunez may pan out. Fuld may hold his own. Colabello and shine. Plouffe may meet expectations. Mauer may get abck on track. But if the starters continue to suck bigtime, the Twins will, too. You can't keep pitching guys 4-5 innings and expect to win games with walks and bats (plus all those Twin player strikeouts).
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    I actually would've added Swarzak to the list, too. Why they didn't try and get value for him before his season. Bullpen arms are replaceable, folks.

Add in such non-entities as Herrmann and Escobar. Plus will Willingham, Suzucki, Kubel be back in 2015.

The problem is that the Twins are playing .500 ball right now (or close to it) and they can't have anotehr losing season. They have to patch together with whatever they pay for and hope for the better, if not the best.

Maybe Pelfrey can work out his kinks in the bullpen, but we don't need Burton and Swarzak also stinking things up.

Hopefully Arcia will hit. But if he doesn't, the Twins can't afford to have Florimon and Hicks and Arcia stinkin' up the lineup.

They need a bench.

Nunez may pan out. Fuld may hold his own. Colabello and shine. Plouffe may meet expectations. Mauer may get abck on track. But if the starters continue to suck bigtime, the Twins will, too. You can't keep pitching guys 4-5 innings and expect to win games with walks and bats (plus all those Twin player strikeouts).
    If bullpen arms are replaceable (and they are), why would anyone give us anything of value for the easiest bullpen spot to fill, mop up guy?

Blog Entries
    Revised Dump List: 1) Aaron Hicks 2) Matt Guerrier 3) Chris Colabello 4) Kevin Correia 5) Jared Burton. Discuss if interested.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast