Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving credit to LEN3 for calling Twins to account on CF situation

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries

Giving credit to LEN3 for calling Twins to account on CF situation

Len3 doing a little Common Man riff on the Twins mishandling of the CF situation after last night (and note that Len3 also apparently never could get the Presley/Pressly spelling distinction straight, as well) http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...57619621.html:

(After he crashed into the wall in the 7th inning,) H(icks) was down for a few minutes but remained in the game for the rest of the inning but was lifted for a pinch hitter after that and took some concussion tests. He's going to take more on Friday. If Hicks needs to go on the DL, the Twins are in a jam because I don't think they will be comfortable with Sam Fuld as the everyday outfielder. They would have to call up Darin Mastro.......oh wait, he's gone. Well, they could call up Alex Press.....oh, he's no longer around too.

So,,,,Who would the call up? Or would they just add a reliever for a few days until the bullpen gets rest and then add an outfielder? They don't want to call up Oswaldo Arcia back from his rehab because, Gardy said, they have had a bad history with calling players early from rehab stints, The only player on the 40-man who can play center is Kenny Wilson, whom they recently claimed off waivers and sent to New Britain.
    Much like the fabled (and dreaded) Clete Thomas Era of a year ago, could the Days of Kenny soon be upon us? I love Sam Fuld, but as a 4th OF, only. It's an "I told you so" for those of us giving out the warnings, ad infinitum, to be sure.....but this is yet another self-inflicted wound that you would have thought the Twins would have learned their lesson from just one year ago. (Jermaine Mitchell, we hardly knew ye....)
    Last edited by jokin; 05-02-2014 at 06:27 AM.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The bullpen situation is similar, they should have stuck a fork in Pelfrey before this start. He's way over-done. We saw both CF and SP situations over the past several years. The FO took a stab at SP, but didn't really bother with CF. Fuld seems like an after thought.

Perhaps they can coax Bartlett out of retirement?

4. These 9 users like mini_tb's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (05-02-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (05-02-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (05-02-2014), mike wants wins (05-02-2014), sandbun (05-02-2014), snepp (05-03-2014), Taildragger8791 (05-02-2014), TheLeviathan (05-02-2014), USAFChief (05-02-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They either had to address the CF situation in a meaningful way or it doesn't really matter. Sam Fuld or Alex Presley or Darin Mastroianni, none of them are particularly good choices and none of them are significantly better than the others.

Alex Presley is currently rocking a Hicks-esque 70 OPS+ for Houston. Mastroianni isn't the same player he was before the injury. Sam Fuld, eh, whatever. He has played well thus far but I don't expect that to continue.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    Juan Pierre, Andres Torres, and 26 year old Derrick Robinson could possibly be signed as free agents - but those are all Clete Thomas-level signings. There's a reason they aren't already on a 40-Man roster.
    Maybe there's an international free agent or someone from the independent leagues that could use a look. . .
    As far as I can tell, Cuban defector Rusney Castillo is still a free agent
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...tillo-defects/

This is all assuming that Hicks needs to go on the DL...

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Haha, there's another story in that article besides Center Field. I wanted to make a joke in the game thread last night about how soon we would hear the Twins whine about their bullpen needing rest. After the entire team just had three days off. Great reporting LENIII looks like it's already happening!

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Hicks is just not very good in the field. He took a tough, but very doable catch for a professional centerfielder, and turned it into something he wanted put on a Wheaties box. That catch could've been made without a jump and with only a minimal wall crash at the end, but because he can't follow the flight of the ball without his eyes on it....he made it look impossible.

I had high hopes for Hicks but it's hard to keep myself optimistic about him with every passing day.

9. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

messed up (05-02-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    They either had to address the CF situation in a meaningful way or it doesn't really matter. Sam Fuld or Alex Presley or Darin Mastroianni, none of them are particularly good choices and none of them are significantly better than the others.

Alex Presley is currently rocking a Hicks-esque 70 OPS+ for Houston. Mastroianni isn't the same player he was before the injury. Sam Fuld, eh, whatever. He has played well thus far but I don't expect that to continue.
    There were inexpensive offseason ML acquisition options-as we've well-documented on TD- at little cost to acquire and then pay for their services. The Twins failed to even consider that- given what a disaster CF turned out to be in 2013- that in 2014 a combination of Hicks (or Presley?)/Bartlett was the solution.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    There were inexpensive offseason ML acquisition options-as we've well-documented on TD- at little cost to acquire and then pay. The Twins failed to even consider that- what a disaster CF turned out to be in 2013, and that in 2014 a combination of Hicks (or Presley?)/Bartlett was the solution.
    I agree that the Bartlett move was dumb but given how willing the Twins were to cast off Presley, it makes me wonder if there wasn't a personality conflict there... Nothing else makes sense. He was "Hicks insurance" going into Spring Training and by the end of March, they placed him on waivers. It doesn't make sense from an outside perspective and makes me wonder if there isn't more to the story.

Either way, I question whether it really matters. Presley is playing badly, Mastro isn't the same guy anymore after the leg injury, and Fuld is playing over his head. Yeah, it'd be nice if they had actually gone out and "fixed" the problem but I think they expected Presley to be that fix and something went wrong there between March 1st and March 30th.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    the continued mishandling of CF and SS....well, I don't know how people keep defending this FO. Wasn't Hicks supposed to be these great fielder, who only had to hit a little? And really, the bullpen is tired? Maybe Tonkin could throw more than 5 pitches an outing?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    the continued mishandling of CF and SS....well, I don't know how people keep defending this FO.
    Maybe because they do as many things right as they do wrong? It's not nearly as one-sided as some make it seem on either end of the spectrum.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Haha, there's another story in that article besides Center Field. I wanted to make a joke in the game thread last night about how soon we would hear the Twins whine about their bullpen needing rest. After the entire team just had three days off. Great reporting LENIII looks like it's already happening!
    Is the brain trust really going to admit defeat and DFA or release Pelfrey?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    90+ losses three years in a row.....so far. What, exactly, looks like it was fixed over the winter for more than 1 year?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Is the brain trust really going to admit defeat and DFA or release Pelfrey?
    I think that's a mistake and unnecessary. Find out why he's throwing fastballs at 89mph before you throw him in the ditch. There's no reason to cast him off on May 2nd. He shouldn't be anywhere near the rotation (or even the active roster, IMO) but there's no real point in throwing him away, either.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    90+ losses three years in a row.....so far. What, exactly, looks like it was fixed over the winter for more than 1 year?
    Phil Hughes looks pretty good. Dozier is tearing it up again. Plouffe looks to have turned the corner.

18. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (05-02-2014), JeffReboulet (05-02-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    Juan Pierre, Andres Torres, and 26 year old Derrick Robinson could possibly be signed as free agents - but those are all Clete Thomas-level signings. There's a reason they aren't already on a 40-Man roster.
    Maybe there's an international free agent or someone from the independent leagues that could use a look. . .
    As far as I can tell, Cuban defector Rusney Castillo is still a free agent
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...tillo-defects/

This is all assuming that Hicks needs to go on the DL...
    And maybe even if he doesn't.....as Levi said, last night's misadventure in CF was just his latest folly.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

The plan was to give Hicks a chance and then Buxton. Everyone else was depth, and better depth going into spring training than we had last year.

The Bartlett situation screwed that all up. First they inexplicably kept him instead of Presley. Neither had good springs, but Bartlett was horrendous. Also, there's the little fact that Bartlett had never played center field in his professional career, and Presley had played like 2000 professional games at the position. When pressed, Gardy said, "I don't need a backup center fielder.' Last night was the best example of why you do. Center fielders crash into walls.

Then they lost Mastro, which was totally avoidable because he had options and Bartlett was quitting. All they had to do was DFA Bartlett until his retirement papers came in (and pay the $500K). Instead they DFAd Mastro to save a little dough. One untold story about that is that Bartlett told the Twins he wanted to retire 10 days before his retirement became official. Why did it take so long? Well the league office is slow, but also Antony asked him to sleep on it for a few days before making it official. If Antony had filed the retirement papers when Bartlett announced his retirement to the team, they would have been filed in plenty of time to claim Fuld and option Mastro. Instead we're left with Wilson, who is barely a AA player.

They are extremely lucky they were awarded Fuld in a waiver claim. According to sources, they only made the claim in the 11th hour. Berardino said they (Antony) were nonplussed when he brought up Fuld's name. They weren't going to claim him. For some reason they changed their minds. And good thing they did because they'd by up schlitz creek without a paddle if they hadn't. I suppose they'd still have Mastro. And no one else above A ball.

Antony has shown repeatedly that he is not ready for this job. He's made really basic mistakes throughout his brief tenure as acting GM. I shudder to think of him at the helm longer term. I can't wait for Ryan to get back and restore order to the FO.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

21. These 5 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (05-02-2014), mike wants wins (05-02-2014), Mr. Brooks (05-02-2014), Pius Jefferson (05-02-2014), Reider (05-03-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    And maybe even if he doesn't.....as Levi said, last night's misadventure in CF was just his latest folly.
    We're calling that play a "folly"? Really?

23. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (05-02-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That was a very tough play. Very few CFs even get leather on that ball. I give him credit for going all out after it. Don't add insult to injury.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

25. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (05-02-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    Rusney Castillo is probably not available to sign at the moment anyway, and even if he was, from the sound of things his services will be very costly.
    Since the Twins are just keeping the seat warm for Buxton (in theory), my guess is that they will not make any attempt to sign the best CF (Castillo) that's out there right now.
    Any rumors of potential trade candidates from other teams are probably also out of the question.
    It's more likely that the Twins will just wait for someone to be DFA'd or otherwise placed on waivers and replace Kenny Wilson with that guy and the carousel will continue to spin with players that are not quite filling the need.

I remember not that long ago when the team had "too many" CF. . .

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast