Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/1): Eight Games in the Org.

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/1): 8 Games in the Org

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I gotta admit, I wish Stewart was dominating A ball just a bit more. And I say that realizing he has a sub 1.000 whip, 2.81 era and is about 3 years younger than the avg pitcher in the midwest league.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice outing by Trevor May.

I like that you gave credit to the opposing pitcher (Josh Smith) by name.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    I agree… somewhat! Strikeouts would be great, but isn't his performance about what you expect if they are trying to limit the use of his best pitch (the wipeout slider)? I think after his last (great) start, he said he only threw a 'couple' of sliders.

5. This user likes TRex's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (05-02-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 824 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I gotta admit, I wish Stewart was dominating A ball just a bit more. And I say that realizing he has a sub 1.000 whip, 2.81 era and is about 3 years younger than the avg pitcher in the midwest league.
    A lot of HS players don't even start in A- ball either.... between all of that and the fact that he's not really using his slider, I'd say not bad. He's still getting Ks, just not getting a K/9 rate around 9. I'd imagine as he works the slider in more that you'll see that climb a bit.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    A lot of HS players don't even start in A- ball either.... between all of that and the fact that he's not really using his slider, I'd say not bad. He's still getting Ks, just not getting a K/9 rate around 9. I'd imagine as he works the slider in more that you'll see that climb a bit.
    I am very pleased, he graduated high school less than a year ago and was never 100% dedicated on baseball. I anticipate he will get gradually better over the next few years, so a 2.81 ERA is a good starting point.

His K numbers are not great at 6 per 9, but he is allowing only 4.9 hits per 9 with 2.1 BB per 9. Going back to last year, he has not allowed a HR in 45 IP.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    I rather Stewart's minor league numbers suffer by not throwing his best pitch to develop as a player.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I rather Stewart's minor league numbers suffer by not throwing his best pitch to develop as a player.
    Exactly and this, I suspect, is what's going on. Throwing a bunch of sliders for out-pitches would make his Class A stats look better, but do little to prepare him to be a better MLB pitcher. Locating his fastball and other pitches better is more important than making sure his Ks per inning stats look good.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    No worries with Stewart either. He could go all Dylan Bundy and tell the coaches and FO to screw themselves and just strike everyone out and not develop the secondary stuff, but Stewart is working on his weaknesses and becoming a pitcher, not just a thrower.

Also, I have noticed areas where the younger guys like Stewart and Berrios are struggling is getting LH hitters out. Obviously, SSS, but Slegers and Eades have seen far more LH bats while in college are faring much better in their respective splits. Berrios is STRUGGLING against LH so far. Stewart not terribly, but there is a noticeable split.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    Nice outing by Trevor May.

I like that you gave credit to the opposing pitcher (Josh Smith) by name.
    Thanks. Trying to find my rhythm here on Twins Daily. Appreciate the feedback.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Eric Pleiss is a handsome man, nearly as handsome as his identical Twin. Read more about him at www.baseballtwins.com