Blog Entries
    "They have made worms meat of me."--Nolasco, chapter 1, verse 5

Senior Member Big-Leaguer sampleSizeOfOne's Avatar
    Liked 480 Times in 307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I liked post #56

post #57 didn't have the same energy.
    Needs ketchup?

I enjoyed them both. Not like i've never repeated myself before...

3. These 2 users like sampleSizeOfOne's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-02-2014), Riverbrian (05-03-2014)

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sampleSizeOfOne View Post
    Needs ketchup?

I enjoyed them both. Not like i've never repeated myself before...
    Listen here, sonny. You won't be so snarky after a second TJ surgery on your Model T-starting elbow...

5. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-03-2014)

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    "They have made worms meat of me."--Nolasco, chapter 1, verse 5
    Whew. Thought this was a reference to a Game of Thrones episode I whiffed on.

Anyway, Good night, Good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 844 Times in 540 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I hadn't heard this news... I was a Mad Magazine junkie when younger... Spy vs Spy... All of it...

I'll even say that Mad Magazine influenced me as much as anything did in my life.
    Equal opportunity satirists, iconoclasts and mythbusters. No one's political persuasions or egocentricities were off limits, sacred cows or gilded lilies.

Having said that, I never really appreciated "What, me worry?" until after becoming an adult Twin fan, we've run the emotional gamut with them over the last 30+ years.
    Last edited by jokin; 05-03-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Liked 2,278 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Equal opportunity satirists, iconoclasts and mythbusters. No one's political persuasions or egocentricities were off limits, sacred cows or gilded lilies.

Having said that, I never really appreciated "What, me worry?" until after becoming an adult Twin fan, we've run the emotional gamut with them over the last 30+ years.
    Alfred E. was never really humor... He was the gateway to it. Alfred E. was who I looked for on the rack. Alfred E. was how I quickly found Mad Magazine amongst the Good Housekeeping and Sports Illustrated. I never had a subscription...I bought my copy faithfully every month at Gibson's discount store. I Probably started around age 8 and I did this for years. Mom didn't drive me... I walked it... I'm guessing 2 miles there and 2 miles back.

All I said was "Mom... I'm going to Gibson's". Mom would go into her purse... Hand me the exact amount of money and I'd just plunk it down on the counter. I had half of it read by the time I got back.

I learned to read while walking because of Mad Magazine... A skill I still have to this day.

I had it read cover to cover by day one and I would re-read it every night lying in bed. By the time the next issue came out... I had the last one memorized.

My reading comprehension as an 8 year old was incredible because of Mad Magazine... I had to raise my game... Just to get the humor and I knew it was humor and I spent my early years trying to discover why it was humor.

My sense of humor is all Mad magazine

I knew what was happening in the world because of Mad... It was like I was reading Time Magazine with a better point of view.

Mad... taught me that it was 100 times better to laugh at what is wrong in the world then be pissed about it.

I first saw the ellipses... on the pages of mad magazine.

Mad was equal opportunity satire and Mad was self deprecation. I could always laugh at myself because of Mad... I never worried about being embarrassed... I never worried about the world coming to an end.

Mad kept me balanced... It was my Bible. I learned to think for myself through the pages of Mad magazine.

I've thought about who I am these days and yeah... Mad Magazine was as big an influence in who I am today as anything.

Thats the best I can do for a tribute. Al Feldstein... I never met him... But... I blame him.

9. These 3 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (05-03-2014), jokin (05-03-2014), sampleSizeOfOne (05-03-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 844 Times in 540 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mad Mag had the unique ability to be directed at a youthful audience, and yet without ever talking down to them or preaching. As you so eloquently stated, they inspired you to "raise your game", without forcing you to turn into snobbish Ivy League-types while in the process of doing so. For me, without realizing it at the time, Mad helped me become a critical thinker at a young age, and it let me know it was all right to laugh not only at the little stuff, but more importantly, at societies' stuffiest shirts, as well. The Movie and TV satires were especially good at sending up the highbrow and lowbrow culture shapers. For example, this one shattered all respect for Coppola (and I really liked the film and still do):

Last edited by jokin; 05-04-2014 at 10:16 AM.

11. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-04-2014)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234