Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pelfrey to 15 day DL, Deduno to take his spot in the rotation

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    He needs to clear waivers...
    I'm sure teams are lining up left and right to claim him.

2. This user likes Mr. Brooks's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (05-02-2014)

Liked 1,286 Times in 743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Santana. I am very excited. Is he in tonight? Also means kubels brother in law might be here to stay

No. From several hours ago:

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have to admit being a bit surprised. Unless I missed something somewhere, no previous mention of Pelfrey struggling through something physical. As stated, perhaps something amiss with the lower half of his body.

Understand Gardy liking Deduno in the pen. I really do. Nasty stuff for multiple innings, SO possibilities, and a swing man when you need him. Actually, quite a luxury few teams enjoy. But I've always felt he's better and more valuable in the rotation. Not only because he's somewhat proven now what he can do when given opportunity, but because his occasional bouts of wildness are less alarming. I really hope he's there to stay.

No matter what happens, I will state that while not doing cartwheels over the Pelfrey re-sign, especially for a second year, I think the FO had the right idea. And I don't think their expectations were out of line either. But I believe we're just better with Deduno in the rotation. Further, I've felt for some time that Correia is a placeholder until Meyer or someone else was ready. Truthfully, when SP began to drop like flies in ST, I felt they should have traded him then and opened the season with Deduno in the rotation to begin with. This would have allowed Tonkin to open with the team, where he should have been all along. Moot point now because I don't see Tonkin going anywhere.

Have also been really hoping Darnell was going to show something this season, and despite the long shadow of Meyer, get a shot and stick along side him and Gibson, paving the way for the 2015 rotation. He's been even better than expected in the early going. Not sure who else I would have promoted besides him, but really didn't expect his promotion this soon, especially to be in the pen vs the rotation. No offense to Johnson, and perhaps the AAA rotation days had something to do with it, but I was hoping he was going to be the 26th man and SP for the double header. Here's hoping he does well, and takes something positive with him to Rochester when he almost invariably goes down.

My hopes, dreams and baseball desires? Blow out a candle, catch a falling star, make a wish; regardless of ultimate disposition of veterans Correia and Pelfrey, by July Meyer and Darnell would join Gibson in the rotation with May breathing down their necks and Deduno either doing the same, or rocking it in the pen.

Liked 1,286 Times in 743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Have to admit being a bit surprised. Unless I missed something somewhere, no previous mention of Pelfrey struggling through something physical. As stated, perhaps something amiss with the lower half of his body.
    Mike Berardino ‏@MikeBerardino · 1h
    Pelfrey felt something in his left groin when he slipped on mound in first inning, Rob Antony said. No worries about his arm.

Blame (or thank) the wet weather.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    They wouldn't bring up a Santana to ride the pine, right? I'm excited to see what the kid is all about.

Blog Entries
    Pelfrey felt something in his left groin when he slipped on mound in first inning, Rob Antony said. No worries about his arm.

Blame (or thank) the wet weather.
    Thank

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who would have ever thought, never should have been signed in 1st place. He could be decent in the pen if he gets his velocity back.

Deduno earned a chance last year to prove it was the real thing. This situation was handled very poorly.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 853 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He needs to clear waivers...
    Not according to Jeremy:

SS Pedro Florimon, Jr. # 1.073 MLB MLB MLB,AAA,AA MLB,AA 12/10/86 Options: 10, 11

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Not according to Jeremy:

SS Pedro Florimon, Jr. # 1.073 MLB MLB MLB,AAA,AA MLB,AA 12/10/86 Options: 10, 11
    Um...
    Do you remember how the Twins acquired him?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Um...
    Do you remember how the Twins acquired him?
    The Orioles took him off the 40. The Twins did the same in the spring of that year.

I think Pedro can be optioned off the 25 but not removed from the 40.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    The Orioles took him off the 40. The Twins did the same in the spring of that year.

I think Pedro can be optioned off the 25 but not removed from the 40.
    I researched P-Flo, and to the best of my research ability you are correct.
    http://forum.orioleshangout.com/foru...ivers-by-Twins

its not quotable or official, but indeed, the gist of it, the orioles waived him off the 40, and the Twins claimed him.

the fun part is all of the posters in orioles hangout "I don't get it, why just give up?" And "It's no big loss, he's a utility guy at best". Good read, things don't change much...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Read: Gardy and Andy took Pelfrey into a back room, showed him some video from the game, and told him he had a groin injury. Pelfrey's response was "No, I'm fine. I'm sure I can work through this." Gardy glanced at Andy who took the initiative to kick Pelfrey in the groin. Pelfrey, on the ground responded, "My groin hurts, you better put me on the DL."

14. This user likes ScottyB's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

kdrupp09 (05-03-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are three easy, without any trepidation moves off the 40-man. Raley, Fryer, and Wilson are not destined for anything.

16. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-03-2014)

Blog Entries
    Let us not forget that Danny Santana had CF time a few years ago.

Blog Entries
    It's obviously Parmelee, though.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Seems odd to add Santana, I mean don't get me wrong anything to keep a bat out of Florimon's hands is good, but where are the outfielders?

Especially with Parmalee raking, however I have to wonder if this isn't the same thing we have seen time and again with Parmalee where he rakes in AAA and flops in MLB.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    Seems odd to add Santana, I mean don't get me wrong anything to keep a bat out of Florimon's hands is good, but where are the outfielders?

Especially with Parmalee raking, however I have to wonder if this isn't the same thing we have seen time and again with Parmalee where he rakes in AAA and flops in MLB.
    I don't think they want to mess with the 40 man roster because they don't consider these moves to be more than stop-gaps. Arcia is coming back fairly soon and they're hopeful Hicks only needs the 7 days.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Let us not forget that Danny Santana had CF time a few years ago.
    23 games: 6 in the GCL in 2008, 15 in Beloit in 2011, and 2 in Fort Myers in 2012.

A grand total of 39 balls came his way

Here are the other Twins' players (minus Fuld) with CF experience:

Chris Herrmann: 11 games at Fort Myers 2010 (24 chances.)
    Pedro Florimon: 1 game at AA Bowie, 2011 (2 chances)

FWIW, Eduardo Escobar has never played CF in pro ball.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    What happens if Santana comes up and tears the cover of the ball with the bat and plays passable SS defense? Does he stay up?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    What happens if Santana comes up and tears the cover of the ball with the bat and plays passable SS defense? Does he stay up?
    He is not a catcher or a relief pitcher, so I'm going with no.

24. This user likes Mr. Brooks's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-04-2014)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast