Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roster Sausage

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Roster Sausage

The Twins current 25 man roster (counting the transaction of Pelfrey, Hicks, Santana, and Darnell) has six starting pitchers (one assigned to the bullpen), seven relief pitchers, three catchers, three shortstops, one third baseman, one second baseman, two first basemen, one corner outfielder and one utility outfielder. What's wrong with this picture? Well, there's no center fielder to start with--Sam Fuld, a perfectly fine fourth outfielder, had started 182 games in the major leagues, 54 in center field, when the Twins acquired him. He now sits as the only option to play center, leaving the team without a backup there. Eduardo Escobar has won an opportunity to become the Twins' everyday shortstop. However, that leaves the team without anyone who can play multiple positions in the infield. Chris Colabello, who played a few (less than 10) games in right field in the minors has now started 14 games in right for the major league team this year and cost the team multiple outs and bases in the field. The idea of a solid starting nine backed up by a versatile bench has been knocked on it's rear end.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's why I think the Twins should DFA Florimon and bring up Bernier, at least he can play multiple positions and is having a pretty good season with the bat so far

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't have a problem DFAing Florimon, but goodness there's a pitcher or two that needs to be removed from the roster.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think, if Florimon stays on the 40, he can be optioned to AAA. He's supposed to have options, but the Orioles lost him to the Twins when they took him off their 40. He's still valuable.

Blog Entries
    50-some at-bats doesn't undo 10 season of less than mediocrity for Bernier. I don't remember one hard-hit ball from him last season for the Twins. If the Twins want a no-power guy they should go with Beresford, but I guess I would wait for Nunez, unless it is going to be a month.

6. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (05-05-2014)

Blog Entries
    We got a complete game out of Nolasco, can either Corriea or Darnell please make room for a third outfielder? Preferably one with wheels.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    I think, if Florimon stays on the 40, he can be optioned to AAA. He's supposed to have options, but the Orioles lost him to the Twins when they took him off their 40. He's still valuable.
    If so, let's see what he can bring in a trade.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    We got a complete game out of Nolasco, can either Corriea or Darnell please make room for a third outfielder? Preferably one with wheels.
    The problem is that the only centerfielders in the organization are in AA and A+ and Kenny Wilson (the most "experienced") is hitting .233/.292/.326 in AA...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    I think this is the third season in a row where poor 40 man roster construction impacts the 25 man roster. Some of that is due to fairly bad luck with injury, some of it isn't. Keeping Bartlett around, for example, immediately cost a spot on both rosters and that's not bad luck. The need for three catchers and oversized bullpens impacts both rosters, and that isn't bad luck.

So you end up, a month into the season, without suitable options.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

11. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (05-03-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I think this is the third season in a row where poor 40 man roster construction impacts the 25 man roster. Some of that is due to fairly bad luck with injury, some of it isn't. Keeping Bartlett around, for example, immediately cost a spot on both rosters and that's not bad luck. The need for three catchers and oversized bullpens impacts both rosters, and that isn't bad luck.

Agree, Chief. I ran out of time, but I was going to analyze the composition of the 40-man roster. It also is malfitting, housing several players who don't have major league futures, too many catchers and not nearly enough possible contributors for this year. The two position players most likely to be competent for the Twins are Nunez and Parmelee, one injured and the other not on the 40-man roster. On the 40-man roster, the Twins have three injured outfielders, and only one other position player is injured--Nunez. Maybe that is a little bad luck. Much of this juggling will likely be undone after this weekend, but still it is truly a mess right now.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    When Fuld hit the wall last night, I thought .... wow, it could get worse yet.

Blog Entries
    BTW, the solution to backup infielder and backup center fielder? Emilio Bonifacio was cleared and could have been claimed before the season. Just sayin'.

15. These 5 users like stringer bell's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

AScheib50 (05-03-2014), Danchat (05-03-2014), DocBauer (05-04-2014), Riverbrian (05-04-2014), ScottyB (05-03-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    If Juan Pierre is available, go sign him. I know he doesn't have much left, but we need a 2nd OFer who can play CF and he's still valuable as a pinch-runner if nothing else.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    BTW, the solution to backup infielder and backup center fielder? Emilio Bonifacio was cleared and could have been claimed before the season. Just sayin'.
    I wasn't interested. I was wrong. I couldn't imagine his poor defense in CF matching well with our corner OFs. His other position is 2B and Dozier has been solid. In hindsight they should have signed him and put him in the OF mix or started him at 2B and moved Dozier to SS.

I argued then that they would still need a back up infielder but he would have been a lot better in the role that the Twins envisioned Bartlett. The Bartlett role wasn't one I had foreseen.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    That's why I think the Twins should DFA Florimon and bring up Bernier, at least he can play multiple positions and is having a pretty good season with the bat so far
    If only their was a dedicated Twins site that predicted issues at the SS position this year. I thought we were all set.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    If so, let's see what he can bring in a trade.
    Terry called around and was offered Chinese takeout for one. He should have done that deal.

Sam Fuld is the back up center fielder. He is holding the position until Hicks returns from the DL. What you are looking for is the back up to the back up, which most teams don't keep on the 25 man roster. The Twins did pickup a minor league outfielder from Toronto who is on the 40 man roster and they still have their own minor league system to draw on.

As far as back ups for 2nd and 3rd, with the way Dozier and Plouffe are playing this year they should not need many off days. In the case that they do, Escobar can slide over to cover the position while Florimon covers shortstop.

21. These 2 users like DuluthFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (05-05-2014), WLFINN (05-04-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    At some point, someone has to put an end to the "you need one catcher on the bench at all times" nonsense, right? It really hurts the team to have Hermann as the defensive replacement when the Twins also have two too many pitchers on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

And some odd fascination with collecting unusable scrap heap players released by other struggling teams, like Raley and Fryer, and giving them 40-man spots. Players like these have no track record of minor league excellence and comparable players seem to be regularly available. Even Juan Pierre would be more likely to positively impact the major league Minnesota Twins this year than Kenny Wilson will any year. Why isn't taking a flyer on a player with recent major league success like Bonifacio a better idea than accumulating AAA roster filler?

P.S. Don't bring up Rondell White, Ruben Sierra, Tony Batista, Sidney Ponson, Luis Ayala, Phil Nevin or many other veterans who did have major league success, but years before their acquisition by the Twins.
    "Where's the Crede?"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deduno Abides View Post
    And some odd fascination with collecting unusable scrap heap players released by other struggling teams, like Raley and Fryer, and giving them 40-man spots. Players like these have no track record of minor league excellence and comparable players seem to be regularly available. Even Juan Pierre would be more likely to positively impact the major league Minnesota Twins this year than Kenny Wilson will any year. Why isn't taking a flyer on a player with recent major league success like Bonifacio a better idea than accumulating AAA roster filler?

P.S. Don't bring up Rondell White, Ruben Sierra, Tony Batista, Sidney Ponson, Luis Ayala, Phil Nevin or many other veterans who did have major league success, but years before their acquisition by the Twins.
    I still think Kenny Wilson is good depth for 2015, however you can't go into a season with one CF who's coming off injury and for the most part washed up in AAA and one prospect CF in MLB with no back up at either level and just hope for the best. You are right AAAA players and fringe aged vets do have a place, and it's situations like this.

PS I realize Hicks is no longer a true prospect, but the Twins still don't really know what they have in him. It's getting closer to decision time, but there's still time for Hicks to earn a; 1) starting spot for 2015, 2) 4th outfielder spot, 3) one way ticket to AAA Rochester, or 4) Release.
    Last edited by Sconnie; 05-03-2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Clarify

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast