Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Roster Sausage

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    And who would that be? Wilson is barely a AA outfielder. The next guy in line is Kepler, who is not a center fielder, but he's playing there until Buxton comes back. The Red Wings have been using utility guys in center. The Rock Cats have been using a corner man (Ortiz).
    Good point, but just because you decided to start the season with 2 CF options among AAA and MLB doesn't mean you continue to roll with only 2. There have been AAAA free agents floating in DFA land all spring. Ideal, no, but better than an outfield of Kubel, Fuld, and Escobar. The roster pinch is getting worse with Mauer injured. I think he'll see the DL very soon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    True for CF, not for SS. They have questions about Danny Santana.
    I disagree, look at the CF and outfield situation for the Twins, Buxton is the only player who could move a guy out of the roster, but there are three outfield positions. Arcia should be a DH, Hicks is a long ways from being a corner outfielder and at his rate of progression will be lucky to be the 4th outfielder. Kubel is about done, Willingham is done, and the only other prospect in the outfield you hear about is Kepler. Maybe Rosario, but he's marginal as an outfielder.

Blog Entries
    I was a fan of the Span and Revere trades, and I still am, but they were a big contribution to the mess.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    I disagree, look at the CF and outfield situation for the Twins, Buxton is the only player who could move a guy out of the roster, but there are three outfield positions. Arcia should be a DH, Hicks is a long ways from being a corner outfielder and at his rate of progression will be lucky to be the 4th outfielder. Kubel is about done, Willingham is done, and the only other prospect in the outfield you hear about is Kepler. Maybe Rosario, but he's marginal as an outfielder.
    I wouldn't give up on Arcia as a corner outfielder. He has really improved his defense, and he's only 22 years old. Plouffe could move to right when Sano comes. Rosario will hit enough and play good enough defense to man a corner. Walker is a prospect, as is Harrison. We have more outfield depth in the system than I can remember. Most of it is in Fort Myers.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

5. These 2 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (05-07-2014), tobi0040 (05-07-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    Honest question - what is the ideal outfield (defensively) for the Twins using healthy players on the 40-man roster?

Outfielders B/T Ht Wt DOB
    31 Oswaldo Arcia 15-day DL * L-R 6'0" 220 May 9, 1991
    1 Sam Fuld L-L 5'10" 175 Nov 20, 1981
    32 Aaron Hicks 7-day DL * S-R 6'2" 190 Oct 2, 1989
    67 Max Kepler * L-L 6'4" 205 Feb 10, 1993
    13 Jason Kubel L-R 6'0" 220 May 25, 1982
    16 Josh Willingham 15-day DL * R-R 6'2" 230 Feb 17, 1979
    Kenny Wilson * R-R 5'11" 195 Jan 30, 1990

The Twins only have two healthy outfielders on the 25 man roster.
    Last edited by Kirby_Waved_At_Me; 05-07-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    kriby......there isn't one that is ideal.....that is such a sad list it is unbelievable really. Three years into a rebuild, and they have 1 legit OF on the 40 man roster (ok, two if you count Arcia and Kubel both).

But, if I had to choose........Kubel in LF (wow, that's their best LF option on D), Arcia in RF, and, um, only defense? I guess Fuld?
    Lighten up Francis....

LF - Kubel
    CF - Fuld
    RF - go directly to Herrmann / Colabello, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Arcia and Hicks being out are really cramping the Twins' style right now. Kubel is passably ok as a left fielder, but wouldn't be better defensively to have Hicks and Fuld in Left and Center, and Kubel in right?

Offensively Kubel, Fuld, and Arcia (when healthy) is probably the best the Twins can get right now.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    Honest question - what is the ideal outfield (defensively) for the Twins using healthy players on the 40-man roster?

Wow Kirby, old data presented in a new way can be quite a wake up.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    What does the common wisdom say for the peak hitting age for baseball players?

27-32?

25-29?

How many outfielders on the Twins 40-man roster fall within those age ranges?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts

Kubel in LF
    Hicks in CF (obviously when he gets healthy). This is his year to see if he can be a MLB centerfielder. KLaw says the bat will "never play in a corner spot." He is future trade bait for when Buxton arrives.
    RF - Arcia or even Parmalee (get a guy like Hermmann of the 40 man).

Well, it is to be expected during a rebuilding effort to have guys on the way up under that prime age. The Twins are a season or two away from "too many" outfielders, but that's certainly not a problem today.

I think it's just something the team will have to struggle with this season. We don't know who they offered contracts to this offseason (or how much they offered), maybe they tried to get some of those marginal to useful guys like Chris Young, Rajai Davis, etc. but didn't think they were worth the $8 - $10 million contracts that they ended up signing for to be depth for the team.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If and when the Hammer returns, I say they are far better defensively with Kubel manning left than Willingham. That is to say that when Kubel and Willingham are both in the same lineup, Kubel should be the left fielder, Willingham the DH. I suppose they could flip-flop on day games after night games. Kubel has been very good in left except for his lack of range.

14. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (05-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe this is another thread, But given the way we manage our roster, aren't we going to always be at a disadvantage against the likes of Boston, Oakland and Tampa Bay? Guys like Meyer, Sano, and Buxton will make the team better, but if we have a guy like Hermann over someone that can platoon and improve a weak spot on your team or give you a good PH at bat at a critical time, over 162 games won't that always hurt this team?

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    When Fuld hit the wall last night, I thought .... wow, it could get worse yet.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    This should be an adventure. I guess they're trying to get someone (Nunez?) up by game time.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

Blog Entries
    I'm going to comment on this thread in response to the latest roster moves. Aaron Hicks comes off the concussion DL and Chris Parmelee is brought in from Rochester. They essentially replace the struggling Herrmann and Florimon.

On the 25-man roster, Hicks becomes the only viable center fielder. The corners are fortified, with Parmelee and Kubel being capable (although range limited) and Nuñez having some experience in right and left. I suppose Colabello also should be added, although I have cringed every time I've seen him in right. On to first base--Parmelee and Colabello are both capable major league first basemen. We don't know if Mauer is going to hit the DL, but if he does, the options at first are satisfactory.

The Twins continue with 13 pitchers, swapping out Darnell for Matt Guerrier. You just can't have too many 30+ (y.o.) RH middle relievers! That leaves five RH starters, one closer, two lefty middle guys and five RH middle guys with one of them (Swarzak?) being the long guy.

For right now, the addition of Nuñez and Parm makes the club more versatile and certainly the hitting of Parmelee and Nuñez should exceed that of the departed Herrmann and P-Flo. Having only two catchers will mean less DH time for Pinto, but probably a bit more time behind the dish.

IMHO, there is no one position player at Rochester who has a case for being promoted any time soon. However, there are three disabled players due back this month unless something has changed. Fuld has five days to go on the concussion list. He should be ready to go when his time is up. Arcia has rehabbed for a couple weeks, looked to be close to ready, but missed a day due to soreness. He played last night, so he should/could be ready any day. Willingham seems poised to go on a rehab assignment in the next week for sure. I just saw that Mauer might DH as soon as today, so perhaps he won't hit the DL.
    Last edited by stringer bell; 05-10-2014 at 07:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    With the likely activation of Fuld and Arcia, there would be a relative glut of corner OF/DH/1B types. The Twins would also have to clear two spots on the 25-man roster. One would almost have to be a relief pitcher. Perhaps Guerrier? The Rangers had a roster deadline with Scott Baker, promoted him and promptly DFAed him after one appearance. Could the Twins do the same to Matty G? Burton? He has been much better in his last appearances dating back about two weeks. Lost velo is a red flag, but effective pitching is effective pitching.

Of the position players, Parmelee would be a candidate, but he has no options, so he would have to be DFAed to get sent to Rochester. As I understand it, he would then have the option to become a free agent since it would be his second DFA. Santana or Nuñez would be the other choices. Santana needs to play every day, but so far has performed well for the Twins. Nuñez offers a much better bat than the guy/guys he replaced, has speed and versatility, but he is one of two utility infielders for the Twins. Or the Twins could option Arcia. While his numbers look OK at Rochester, just two days ago he sat out a game for soreness (I presume in the wrist) and he isn't dominating Triple A pitching (no homers, .744 OPS), so perhaps he needs more time in Rochester.

What should the Twins do? What will they do? Unfortunately, those queries most likely have two different answers,
    Last edited by stringer bell; 05-10-2014 at 07:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I wouldn't give up on Arcia as a corner outfielder. He has really improved his defense, and he's only 22 years old. Plouffe could move to right when Sano comes. Rosario will hit enough and play good enough defense to man a corner. Walker is a prospect, as is Harrison. We have more outfield depth in the system than I can remember. Most of it is in Fort Myers.
    its more likely Mauer goes to the outfield than Plouffe. It's well documented catchers make the best right fielders.

Blog Entries
    Well, it is to be expected during a rebuilding effort to have guys on the way up under that prime age. The Twins are a season or two away from "too many" outfielders, but that's certainly not a problem today.

I think it's just something the team will have to struggle with this season. We don't know who they offered contracts to this offseason (or how much they offered), maybe they tried to get some of those marginal to useful guys like Chris Young, Rajai Davis, etc. but didn't think they were worth the $8 - $10 million contracts that they ended up signing for to be depth for the team.
    i demand that there are many players (throughout the season) with the big league club who are a bit premature. At the very least getting the September call up.

All of the depth at outfield is prospects, and none of them are a lock, including Buxton. While Buxton is as close to a sure thing as you can be as a prospect, we have all seen what can happen over the course of a season or two, to count you chickens before they are hatched.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    The corners are fortified, with Parmelee and Kubel being capable (although range limited) and Nuñez having some experience in right and left. I suppose Colabello also should be added, although I have cringed every time I've seen him in right. On to first base--Parmelee and Colabello are both capable major league first basemen. .
    Colabello is horrible at the outfield and terrible at first base. Now his bat has been quiet, because pitchers have adjusted and got new scouting reports. The last 2 weeks he has been hitting .171/.244/.268. That is Buteresque. The last 4 weeks Kubel has been hitting .203/.292/.228 . That is also Buteresque. This is the expected performance level of those two 30+ year old guys, not the mirage of the first few days. If Suzuki suddenly regresses to his expected level, this team will be in trouble.

They do have issues with outfielders right now so Kubel might have a spot until Willingham returns, but there is zero reason to have Vargas (hitting .287/.371/.504 and playing better first base than Colabello) in New Britain, and Colabello stinking it up both with the glove and the bat in the majors. I like him, great guy, great story, but great stories do not win games, and it is time for this team to turn the page on the 30+ year olds who will not be part of the future.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 05-10-2014 at 08:11 AM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast