Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Roster Sausage

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Colabello is horrible at the outfield and terrible at first base. Now his bat has been quiet, because pitchers have adjusted and got new scouting reports. The last 2 weeks he has been hitting .171/.244/.268. That is Buteresque. The last 4 weeks Kubel has been hitting .203/.292/.228 . That is also Buteresque. This is the expected performance level of those two 30+ year old guys, not the mirage of the first few days. If Suzuki suddenly regresses to his expected level, this team will be in trouble.

They do have issues with outfielders right now so Kubel might have a spot until Willingham returns, but there is zero reason to have Vargas (hitting .287/.371/.504 and playing better first base than Colabello) in New Britain, and Colabello stinking it up both with the glove and the bat in the majors. I like him, great guy, great story, but great stories do not win games, and it is time for this team to turn the page of the 30+ year olds who will not be part of the future.
    They may not win ballgames, but they do a hell of a Brother Louie cover.

2. This user likes Mr. Brooks's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-11-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In my opinion, to clear the roster spots, Arcia will be in AAA AND Tonkin will get sent down. Santana so far has shown he can play, so if he falters any, then I would guess he could be sent down. There is no reason to have 13 pitchers at this point, since the starters are coming into form

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A month or two from now, we will know a lot more about Kubel/Colabello. Overall, they've exceeded expectations, but I hold no illusions about long-term success. I know that Colabello made a bad error and didn't make a play or two that he could have made, but I think he's passable as a 1B. We've already seen way too much of him in right field (dreadful, horrible, awful are words that come to me). Kubel's been good in left, but he has no foot speed.

I'd like to see Vargas up at some time this season. He seems to have made major gains both hitting and fielding and he is a switch hitter with power, wouldn't that be nice on the Twins team?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I'd like to see Vargas up at some time this season. He seems to have made major gains both hitting and fielding and he is a switch hitter with power, wouldn't that be nice on the Twins team?
    Vargas has always been a good hitter. He actually was better than Sano when both were in Beloit (of course he is older than Sano, but still was young for each league he played in.) Working with Mientkiewitz at Fort Myers for a full season made wonders for his play at first. There are people who have not seen him play recently and look at him and think that he cannot play, but it is not true. This Spring Training he actually made some pretty great plays with the glove for the big team including a diving catch on a liner in a televised game, which I hope opened some eyes...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Blog Entries
    I'm presuming that Fuld will be ready when his seven days are up, and that Arcia is about ready to come up, but really hasn't shown he's ready to be good in the majors. I would bring in Arcia and disable Fien. When Fuld is activated, I would send down Hicks and go with Santana and Fuld as center fielders. With Arcia returning, one of Kubel, Colabello and Parmelee could sit.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Unbelievably, Chris Parmelee is the only outfielder on the 40 man roster who is between the ages 24-32, peak hitting years. (Kubel actually turns 32 in two weeks but no longer can perform anywhere near peak).

Parmelee must be allowed to play RF regularly. Both for development reasons and because he's among our best options.

Liked 2,286 Times in 1,283 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can Parm be sent down without risk of losing him?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    My question is, when Arcia, Willingham, and Fuld come back....is there a way for them to play someone in CF that has Fuld on the bench and Hicks in AAA?

The best I can see is Parms playing CF. Which, sadly, I may not be 100% opposed to.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Can Parm be sent down without risk of losing him?
    Nope. He's out of options. If he were to be sent down, he would have to be DFAed and IIRC, if he cleared waivers, he would have the option to declare himself a free agent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    My question is, when Arcia, Willingham, and Fuld come back....is there a way for them to play someone in CF that has Fuld on the bench and Hicks in AAA?

The best I can see is Parms playing CF. Which, sadly, I may not be 100% opposed to.
    Danny Santana! He has the raw tools to be a good center fielder. It would be a risk, but he might be have enough tools to overcome his lack of experience.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Danny Santana! He has the raw tools to be a good center fielder. It would be a risk, but he might be have enough tools to overcome his lack of experience.
    Aaron Hicks has all the tools AND experience, yet he hasn't been particularly good in center.

Why would you want to jerk around Santana like that? What good could come of it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Aaron Hicks has all the tools AND experience, yet he hasn't been particularly good in center.

Why would you want to jerk around Santana like that? What good could come of it?
    To keep the guys who are hitting best in the lineup. I think Escobar has earned a shot to be the regular SS and Santana is hitting, so let him play in center until he stops hitting. If it turns out he really can play outfield, then Santana has some proven versatility. Gardy wants to win as many games as he can with the roster he has. I think today Danny Santana is a better choice to be playing center field than Aaron Hicks. If and when Hicks gets his head on straight, then he should get another chance.

14. These 2 users like stringer bell's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (05-12-2014), Mr. Brooks (05-12-2014)

Blog Entries
    This whole center field mess started because the Twins kept Hicks for the second straight year on the basis of spring training. The circumstances, to me, screamed for a trip to Rochester to start the season no matter how good he looked in Fort Myers. Until Presley was let go, I thought it only made sense to start Presley and let Hicks gain confidence at Triple A. Yes, Presley was poor in the spring and his upside is really that of a fourth OF, but he was capable last September and that should have mattered more than his poor spring. The Twins lost Presley and have been scrambling for CF depth since.

16. These 4 users like stringer bell's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (05-12-2014), LaBombo (05-12-2014), mike wants wins (05-12-2014), Oldgoat_MN (05-11-2014)

Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Unbelievably, Chris Parmelee is the only outfielder on the 40 man roster who is between the ages 24-32, peak hitting years. (Kubel actually turns 32 in two weeks but no longer can perform anywhere near peak).
    Even a stalwart like Reusse is starting to get the message. In his bit about the NFL draft, the blurb add-on thing at the end was the brutal first grade arithmetic of Bartlett + Guerwarrior your tail off <<<<<<<<<< Brooksie + Elvis + Mastro for a rebuilding 3 year/300ish loss team.

Your comment about the age situation is right on, but maybe a bit generous to Hicks. He's definitely a guy who should be near his peak, but something is obviously not right.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 05-12-2014 at 01:22 AM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    This whole center field mess started because the Twins kept Hicks for the second straight year on the basis of spring training.
    And as a response, you're advocating playing a 23 year old middle infielder out of position based on the same number of plate appearances Hicks had in Spring Training.

How do you not see just how terrible this idea is?

Blog Entries
    And as a response, you're advocating playing a 23 year old middle infielder out of position based on the same number of plate appearances Hicks had in Spring Training.

IMHO, it is the best of many bad options. There are several components that go into my support of benching Hicks in favor of Santana, I suppose all of them are debatable. 1) Escobar is hitting and deserves a chance to be the everyday shortstop. Still SSS, but he's hitting .333 with 10 extra-base hits and an OPS of .882. 2) If Santana is in the big leagues, he should be playing. 3) Aaron Hicks is a mess and needs to get it together in Triple A. 4) Santana, on the basis of his speed and arm can be acceptable in center field.

Read my blog "Danny Santana and the .1% Solution" and you will see that I realize it is a long shot. I happen to believe playing Aaron Hicks right now is no better and probably hurts him. So I favor playing the 23 year old out of position over the 24 year old who currently doesn't have a clue.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins have experimented with the "terrible" idea of playing Santana in centerfield 23 times over his minor league career. Given the Twins terrible management of their 40 Man Roster, this might be the least terrible option, among many that are worse.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    End of day, it's pretty embarrassing that they have to resort to using a supposed SS of the future in CF because of roster mismanagement...

22. These 6 users like sorney's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brock Beauchamp (05-12-2014), GCTF (05-12-2014), mike wants wins (05-12-2014), Mr. Brooks (05-12-2014), snepp (05-13-2014), USAFChief (05-12-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    The Twins have experimented with the "terrible" idea of playing Santana in centerfield 23 times over his minor league career. Given the Twins terrible management of their 40 Man Roster, this might be the least terrible option, among many that are worse.
    Oswaldo Arcia has twice as many starts in CF in the minors.

What is the end game with putting Santana in CF? You're stunting a guy's defensive development at a position of weakness; the biggest position of weakness for the team going forward. Outside of FA, Santana is the only guy who remotely projects as future help at the SS position in the next 2-3 years.

And for what? So he can be replaced by Buxton in the next 12 months? This is advocating that the Twins continue this bizarre knee-jerk roster management that we've all been condemning for the past six weeks.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Read my blog "Danny Santana and the .1% Solution" and you will see that I realize it is a long shot. I happen to believe playing Aaron Hicks right now is no better and probably hurts him. So I favor playing the 23 year old out of position over the 24 year old who currently doesn't have a clue.
    Then you send down Hicks when Fuld is ready. You don't start patching together makeshift rosters that won't last at the expense of players you want to help win games in 2015 and beyond.

Danny Santana has 20 career MLB plate appearances.

Twenty.

25. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (05-12-2014)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast