Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Roster Sausage

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just don't think another week or two of consistent playing time (out of position) at the the highest level is going to stunt his development as a shortstop. When it is time for him to go down to Rochester, he can play shortstop or if Escobar goes o-fer the homestand, he can slide back to short. I am trying very hard to have no illusions about Danny's offense, but right now it is infinitely better than Hicks'. Certainly, there should be someone else playing center field (and I don't even mean Fuld), but Aaron Hicks needs to be optioned yesterday.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps Brock, I am also advocating Santana going to center for now because I still don't think he's really the answer at short. He's got the range and the arm, but hands and footwork are questionable. It's easier to outrun mistakes in the outfield, especially with burner speed. Maybe Santana can become a poor man's Bonifacio and considering where I put him on the prospect spectrum, that wouldn't be bad.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Santana should be your starting SS in the majors until he shows he's not. Esco is a nice utility player, and should have that job. Fuld should be in CF, and Hicks should be in AAA only hitting RH until he shows he can hit (and field). If only there had been a CF available in the off season that only cost money......
    Lighten up Francis....

4. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (05-12-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    I guess moves like Santana to CF depend on how Gardy wants to approach the season. I would agree with the argument that Hicks is not the answer at the position either long term or short term.
    I think Santana's development as a shortstop would be hurt by having him in center. Again, I think it depends on what the Twins want long term for him and for the team. If they really want him to be the guy at SS, they probably won't play him regularly in center in hopes of winning a few more games this year.

I think it would be fine to have Fuld in center regularly this year since the team is not going to the playoffs this season - it would be better to give Santana starts at SS, either on the Twins or in Rochester.

Hicks, geez, I dunno. Is starting in AAA going to help him?

Blog Entries
    Hicks: He has like what? less than 100 PAs at Triple A? I think it would help to spend a couple months in Rochester and it certainly is better than the downward spiral going on now.

Fuld: Much like Presley, he is a guy who profiles as a fourth outfielder. Could he fill in for the year? Yes, but he's not going to hit much and he isn't going to get better.

Santana: Probably what is best for him is to play regularly at AAA. However, he is here now and has hit so far. Get him at-bats and if it means playing him in center until his hot streak peters out so be it. Maybe, just maybe, the Twins catch lightning in a bottle and Danny stays and never looks back.

Escobar: He deserves a shot as a regular. He's got almost 70 plate appearances and he has hit well. He has shown himself to be a capable utility guy and has a rep as being pretty good defensively. Nunez can serve as the utility guy.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You were right on Hicks all along, Mr. Bell. He needs more time in AAA. I was for giving him another shot if he earned the job. But his confidence is shot. It's almost like he is afraid to swing lest he make an out. As soon as Fuld is ready, he should go to AAA. But until then, run him out there and hope for the best.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    What is the end game with putting Santana in CF? You're stunting a guy's defensive development at a position of weakness; the biggest position of weakness for the team going forward. Outside of FA, Santana is the only guy who remotely projects as future help at the SS position in the next 2-3 years.

And for what? So he can be replaced by Buxton in the next 12 months? This is advocating that the Twins continue this bizarre knee-jerk roster management that we've all been condemning for the past six weeks.
    I still see Fuld (when he returns from that concussion DL thingee) as the stopgap CF until Buxton emerges, or Hicks exorcises some demons in AAA. All I'm saying is that Santana should be the backup CF until that time comes, rather than wasting resources on a free agent CF. He should be the primary SS with Escobar and Nunez as utility guys behind him. Do you really think that if Santana starts in CF once or twice a week over this summer that his future as a SS will be jeopardized? Again, I see this as the "least terrible option."

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This quote, from LEN 3, says it all:

"His future is at short, but Gardenhire sees center field as a way to play him more often. Santana has played 23 games in center in the minors, including two in 2012 while at Class AA New Britain. With Aaron Hicks struggling to hit and Sam Fuld on the disabled list because of a concussion, Santana might be the best-equipped player the Twins have to play center." http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/258999511.html

It's ridiculous to think that a few games in centerfield will destroy Santana's status as the Twins shortstop of the future. Sometimes we treat professional players like porcelain dolls, rather than kids who, in a pinch, just want to play and help their team win--especially when their team is in a bad spot due to injuries and "terrible" roster moves.

Santana seems to be a gamer. I hope Gardy finds a way to keep him in the lineup, whether that means playing him at short, or in center.

10. This user likes Don't Feed the Greed Guy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

bear333 (05-13-2014)

Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Convert Santana to a center fielder.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,587 Times in 824 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    I still see Fuld (when he returns from that concussion DL thingee) as the stopgap CF until Buxton emerges, or Hicks exorcises some demons in AAA. All I'm saying is that Santana should be the backup CF until that time comes, rather than wasting resources on a free agent CF. He should be the primary SS with Escobar and Nunez as utility guys behind him. Do you really think that if Santana starts in CF once or twice a week over this summer that his future as a SS will be jeopardized? Again, I see this as the "least terrible option."
    Backup is a completely different argument. I'm not sure I'm on board with that idea but it's a very different argument than suggesting that he should be the starting centerfielder, which sounds like a disaster in the making.

In the end, I think it's a moot point. I believe Santana will be rocking a sub-.700 OPS within a month, negating any reason to keep his bat in the lineup at all.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the end, I think it's a moot point. I believe Santana will be rocking a sub-.700 OPS within a month, negating any reason to keep his bat in the lineup at all.
    To be fair, .700 is almost league average right now, which makes it a fairly high bar for SS and CF (and 4th OF). (Could be almost a lateral move replacing our current 3B/LF/RF too, unfortunately...)

14. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-13-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What is the end game with putting Santana in CF? You're stunting a guy's defensive development at a position of weakness; the biggest position of weakness for the team going forward. Outside of FA, Santana is the only guy who remotely projects as future help at the SS position in the next 2-3 years.
    Jorge Polanco would like to have a talk with you. Maybe Nico Goodrum too, but certainly Eduardo Escobar. I am on the minority here, but seeing Santana play for the last three seasons, I really believe that his ceiling is utility. Punto. Not bad, but that is what it is (in my book of course.)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,587 Times in 824 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Jorge Polanco would like to have a talk with you. Maybe Nico Goodrum too, but certainly Eduardo Escobar. I am on the minority here, but seeing Santana play for the last three seasons, I really believe that his ceiling is utility. Punto. Not bad, but that is what it is (in my book of course.)
    Neither Polanco nor Goodrum look to have an impact in the next 2-3 years. One of them could be in Minnesota in two years but it's unlikely he's an impact player (or even a good starter) at that point. Escobar, eh. I view him as a utility guy (which, when you really get down to it, is how I view Santana as well).

17. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-14-2014)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456