Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Beast has Awoken

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Beast has Awoken

As the weather is finally warming up, so should some of the dormant minor league bats......Here's a line that has yet gone unnoticed, a tasty SSS to be sure, but which demands more careful scrutiny from this point forward:

BB% 16.3%
    K% 10.2%
    AVG .400
    OPS .510
    SLG .775
    OPS 1.285
    ISO .375
    wOBA .557

This is Kennys Vargas's plate numbers over the last 2 weeks. The Beast awakens....and few are taking much note,,,,,and he's doing this with virtually no support in front of, or behind him, in the woeful New Britain batting order. Imagine a potential switch-hitting David Ortiz, he's now basically one stop away from the Twins lineup.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    He's no David Ortiz, but I do like him as a prospect. Not that there's room on the current roster...

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    I always wondered why he spent 3 years in rookie ball.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    He's no David Ortiz, but I do like him as a prospect. Not that there's room on the current roster...
    Fortunately, that's not an issue, as Vargas is already "current", having been placed on the roster in the offseason. And as we've seen in the first 5 weeks of the season, injuries and trades are inevitable, if he continues to rake, it will be hard to ignore him as a legit power bat option- stepping up to the most significant readiness level for major league consideration- AA....while nearly reversing his K/BB career trends while upgrading his power numbers can't be ignored when the time comes for consideration to the big club.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    I meant the 25 man obviously. The Twins have options at DH including Pinto, Willingham, Arcia, Colabello, with Parmelee hitting at AAA.

Vargas' walk rate has fluctuated over his career so it's not really a surprise that he's taking BBs. He is striking out less, but in a small sample, with a low BABIP. His RC+ by year and level-

2009 R-: 134
    2010 R-: 162
    2011 R : 132
    2012 A : 180
    2013 A+: 130
    2014 AA: 156

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I meant the 25 man obviously. The Twins have options at DH including Pinto, Willingham, Arcia, Colabello, with Parmelee hitting at AAA.

Vargas' walk rate has fluctuated over his career so it's not really a surprise that he's taking BBs. He is striking out less, but in a small sample, with a low BABIP. His RC+ by year and level-

2009 R-: 134
    2010 R-: 162
    2011 R : 132
    2012 A : 180
    2013 A+: 130
    2014 AA: 156
    His low BABIP rate is actually encouraging, meaning more HRs lately (6) and eventually, the line drives and fly balls that will drop in and normalize the rate, which should support the continued high batting numbers, when the BB% drops. The wRC+ improvement year over year is a signficant plus- and doing it at AA. And as I stated, he's drawing these extra BBs and hitting for average and power without any support around him- give him credit for taking these bad pitches rather than getting frustrated at the lack of meatballs being dished out. When he gets decent plate support, the BB% will surely drop, but he should get more decent pitches to feast upon.

Regardiing the DH options, Pinto won't be a DH much longer- he either steps into the C full-time or is replaced at DH when Gardy returns to the 2-catcher lineup (which opens a potential roster spot- think Thome), Willingham will be traded soon, Parmelee is not on the roster, Arcia is currently hurt and struggling with a K% in the mid-30% range, while Colabello is currently in his first significant slump, and some of the above and possibly others are bound to have injury down time over the course of the season. And Vargas already being on the 40-man just streamlines the decision-making process at the opportune moment. This is not as insurmountable a hurdle as it might seem at first glance.
    Last edited by jokin; 05-04-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Why does everyone think Willingham "could" get traded. He had a great season in 2012, but since has been horrific. We probably couldn't trade him plus cash to a team for a bag of balls or a singular bat. Willingham will be on the roster until the season ends. Unless of course he starts hitting some dingers, which I don't see happening considering he hasn't swung a bat in a weeks.

8. These 2 users like Twins Twerp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

AScheib50 (05-05-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (05-04-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I knew who you were talking about from the title. It's an impressive streak. I think the 2015 roster is going to look a lot different, and he might be part of that.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Why does everyone think Willingham "could" get traded. He had a great season in 2012, but since has been horrific. We probably couldn't trade him plus cash to a team for a bag of balls or a singular bat. Willingham will be on the roster until the season ends. Unless of course he starts hitting some dingers, which I don't see happening considering he hasn't swung a bat in a weeks.
    Guys like Willingham with expiring contracts are traded every single year. Although we may not like the return we get, he will be moved before season end.....barring a season-ending injury, you can book it right now.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "Regardiing the DH options, Pinto won't be a DH much longer- he either steps into the C full-time or is replaced at DH when Gardy returns to the 2-catcher lineup, Willingham will be traded soon, Parmellee is not on the roster, Arcia is currently hurt and struggling with a K% in the mid-30% range, while Colabello is currently in his first significant slump. and some of the above and possibly others are bound to have injury down time over the course of the season. This is not as insurmountable a hurdle as it might seem at first glance"

I agree that by the 2nd half of the season Vargas could be a potential call up. Though if Suzuki continues to hit Pinto will remain at DH. Suzuki has shown no signs of regression. He has out hit Pierzinski who we tried to get for his offense last offseason. how ironic is that? Pinto has a .900 OPS so he isn't going anywhere either.

I do think Arcia could be passed up if he doesn't fix some of his hitting issues. Willingham will be traded or let go this offseason only because we have too many replacements for him. Colabello is slumping which is taking the wind out of the Twins lineup right now. Going into next year we have 8 options for 3B, LF, RF, DH, and back up 1B:

Arcia
    Pinto
    Colabello
    Sano
    Plouffe
    Kubel (possibly resign)
    Vargas
    Parmelee

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Conditioning and the weight issue? Just a guess. The fact that the Twins put him on the roster tells me that they had- and have even more now- strong faith in Vargas's potential from the day of his signing.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I agree that by the 2nd half of the season Vargas could be a potential call up. Though if Suzuki continues to hit Pinto will remain at DH. Suzuki has shown no signs of regression. He has out hit Pierzinski who we tried to get for his offense last offseason. how ironic is that?

Pinto has a .900 OPS so he isn't going anywhere either.

I do think Arcia could be passed up if he doesn't fix some of his hitting issues. Willingham will be traded or let go this offseason only because we have too many replacements for him. Colabello is slumping which is taking the wind out of the Twins lineup right now. Going into next year we have 8 options for 3B, LF, RF, DH, and back up 1B:

Arcia
    Pinto
    Colabello
    Sano
    Plouffe
    Kubel (possibly resign)
    Vargas
    Parmelee
    Pinto's current OPS is .735, not .900. And with all of the guys who need to come back onto the active roster......and with the starting pitching possibly getting straightened out, it's easy to see a 2-catcher alignment and only 12 pitchers. That would open up the "Thome spot" for someone like Vargas. I hope Vargas can bang the doors down....his cause (and bating numbers) will be aided when the reinforcements finally come up from Ft Myers.....Buxton obviously, but also possibly Rosario, Michael, Polanco, Walker, Hicks.
    Last edited by jokin; 05-04-2014 at 06:35 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
    ortiz?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitz View Post
    ortiz?
    Hicks. Fixed it. (Although Ortiz might still wake his bat up, as well- that suddenly would take New Britain from probably the least-feared to one of the most feared 1-7 batting orders in the EL).
    Last edited by jokin; 05-04-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 821 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    I think there was a 50 game suspension in there that occurred during his second year, forcing him to finish it in his 3rd season.... could be wrong on that though.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arcia and Pinto will be position players. Willingham is on the DL and pretty much out of the door and Vargas is better than both Colabello and Parmelee.

The Twins will be better tomorrow if they swap Colabello with Vargas.

That simple.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I think there was a 50 game suspension in there that occurred during his second year, forcing him to finish it in his 3rd season.... could be wrong on that though.
    Yes. Suspended while at E-town so he had to start the suspension there and that season does not start until after the draft.

Speaking of, Vargas was never drafted (even though eligible) and signed as a free agent.
    -----

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Arcia and Pinto will be position players. Willingham is on the DL and pretty much out of the door and Vargas is better than both Colabello and Parmelee.

The Twins will be better tomorrow if they swap Colabello with Vargas.

That simple.
    "Vargas is better than both Colabello and Parmelee" I don't think it's hit people yet in realizing the full potential of Vargas. While I'm not sure if Kennys would be better than Cola tomorrow, Vargas needs to be on the fastest track to the majors possible, perhaps commensurate with the success he might demonstrate while playing with higher quality prospects....re, the imminent promotion of Buxton and followed soon thereafter by the rest of the top A+ prospects in June.

Mauer's withdrawal from the game today is a reminder of how quickly a chain reaction of events could occur should another major OF/DH/1B go to the DL. Parmelee for a look see, with Vargas to Roc.- perhaps for 30 games or so, until the decks are cleared in July? It's a scenario that could easily happen.

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    He's off to a great start, but he doesn't have much minor league "seasoning" under his belt...he played in only 159 games in his first 4 seasons, with less than 700 PAs total in those four seasons. This is his first season above A ball.

I doubt he sees Minnesota in 2014.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    He's off to a great start, but he doesn't have much minor league "seasoning" under his belt...he played in only 159 games in his first 4 seasons, with less than 700 PAs total in those four seasons. This is his first season above A ball.

I doubt he sees Minnesota in 2014.
    Using the same logic, Colabello (who made his pro debut on May 22nd last season) had only a year and a month of minor league experience before that and about the same number of games under his belt.
    -----

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast