Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Oddities

  1. #1
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,580
    Like
    199
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32

    Oddities

    The Twins are 4-0 in rubber games. I heard yesterday that they are 1-9 in series openers. If you had heard that after 29 games, that Dozier and Plouffe would have combined for 15 doubles and nine homers, who would have guessed the distribution? Plouffe has 14 doubles and a solitary homer, while Dozier has only one double, but has clubbed 8 homers.

    In checking team statistics, the team is still second in run scoring (per game), while allowing the third-most runs in the American League.

    Finally, here's my first All-Star watch: Brian Dozier is #1 in OPS among AL second basemen and Trevor Plouffe and Kurt Suzuki are #2 at their respective positions.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Posts
    666
    Like
    199
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    These are indeed oddities.

    I am especially surprised that we've not seen home runs from Plouffe.
    If someone had told me he would have 1 home run this late into the season I would have thought it was because he wasn't getting much playing time.

    I like it that he leads MLB in doubles, of course.
    The home runs will start to appear.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,782
    Like
    665
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    I am happy to eat crow over the Suzuki signing. He's put together some good AB's, all year really.

  4. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    tarheeltwinsfan (05-05-2014)

  5. #4
    Hey guys...long time lurker here. Love the site...

    Speaking of Dozier, always been a fan! But is he really suited for the lead off spot? With the home run production, shouldn't he be down in the order?? Guess they don't really have a better option for the #1 spot.

  6. These 2 users like grady.hughes's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Reider (05-05-2014), Siehbiscuit (05-05-2014)

  7. #5
    Senior Member Triple-A Reider's Avatar
    Posts
    377
    Like
    224
    Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grady.hughes View Post
    Hey guys...long time lurker here. Love the site...

    Speaking of Dozier, always been a fan! But is he really suited for the lead off spot? With the home run production, shouldn't he be down in the order?? Guess they don't really have a better option for the #1 spot.
    You nailed it. The Twins don't have a typical lead off hitter, so Dozier is doing it for now. And he's giving a full effort, so he'll do for now. Fuld would be a good candidate if he got on base more often.

  8. #6
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,580
    Like
    199
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    You nailed it. The Twins don't have a typical lead off hitter, so Dozier is doing it for now. And he's giving a full effort, so he'll do for now. Fuld would be a good candidate if he got on base more often.
    Dozier is doing exactly what leadoff hitters are supposed to do--score runs. Because of the high walk total, his OBP is solid, and with the 11 SB and undoubtedly good baserunning skills, he scores more runs than his OBP would suggest. Further, even though he has struck out 30 times in about 140 PAs, even when he has fanned, he has worked the count most of the time, very few three or four pitch punch-outs. IMHO, the long balls are mostly a bonus and it would be great if they were all three run bombs, but the fact is that almost all of the Twins homers this year have been solos.
    Last edited by stringer bell; 05-05-2014 at 08:55 AM.

  9. These 2 users like stringer bell's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    tarheeltwinsfan (05-05-2014), twinsnorth49 (05-05-2014)

  10. #7
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,112
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Dozier is doing exactly what leadoff hitters are supposed to do--score runs. Because of the high walk total, his OBP is solid, and with the 11 SB and undoubtedly good baserunning skills, he scores more runs than his OBP would suggest. Further, even though he has struck out 30 times in about 140 PAs, even when he has fanned, he has worked the count most of the time, every few three or four pitch punch-outs. IMHO, the long balls are mostly a bonus and it would be great if they were all three run bombs, but the fact is that almost all of the Twins homers this year have been solos.
    I don't get the "Dozier's not a perfect leadoff guy" arguments. He's near the top of the league in stolen bases. He has an OBP just over .370.

    What more do people want from the guy? Yeah, in a perfect world you'd have a guy with eight home runs hitting third in the lineup but Dozier looks to be a very good leadoff guy if he continues to get on base at a good clip and steal bases when appropriate.

  11. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    tarheeltwinsfan (05-05-2014)

  12. #8
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,642
    Like
    929
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Other than stolen bases Mauer profiles better as a lead off hitter than Dozier. If Dozier could lift his BA a bit he would be a great 2 hole hitter.

  13. #9
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    604
    Like
    101
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Hasn't research shown that you want your best hitters in the 2 and 4 spots in your lineup? I don't know what "best" means in this context, but perhaps it means "best at getting on base"? Not sure how this impacts where Dozier and Mauer should be, respective to each other, but I like Dozier 1, Mauer 2, <insert "best" remaining Twins hitter here> 4.

  14. #10
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,740
    Like
    870
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I don't get the "Dozier's not a perfect leadoff guy" arguments. He's near the top of the league in stolen bases. He has an OBP just over .370.

    What more do people want from the guy? Yeah, in a perfect world you'd have a guy with eight home runs hitting third in the lineup but Dozier looks to be a very good leadoff guy if he continues to get on base at a good clip and steal bases when appropriate.
    You answered the reasons for why "Dozier's not a perfect leadoff guy" in your second paragraph. Right now, there's no doubt that he's the Twins best leadoff guy. And his baserunning yesterday was nothing short of awesome. But his current BB% of 16.2% is exactly double his career rate of 8.1%. It sure doesn't seem sustainable.

  15. #11
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,112
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    You answered the reasons for why "Dozier's not a perfect leadoff guy" in your second paragraph. Right now, there's no doubt that he's the Twins best leadoff guy. And his baserunning yesterday was nothing short of awesome. But his current BB% of 16.2% is exactly double his career rate of 8.1%. It sure doesn't seem sustainable.
    No, that walk rate probably isn't sustainable but it's likely that his BA will continue to rise as his walk rate drops. Overall, the OBP is probably sustainable, or something close to it anyway.

    And I'll take "really good leadoff guy" all day. Dozier doesn't need to be the "perfect leadoff guy" to stick in that role for the time being. Right now, he's one of the best leadoff guys in baseball, if not the best leadoff guy in baseball.

    And with Plouffe slotting into the third spot of the lineup so nicely, it's not as if the Twins are really sacrificing production by having Dozier leadoff.

  16. #12
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,223
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    155
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    Yeah, the Dozier-Mauer-Plouffe top of the lineup has been the best thing so far this season. Why mess with it before there is a need to?
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

  17. #13
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,740
    Like
    870
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    No, that walk rate probably isn't sustainable but it's likely that his BA will continue to rise as his walk rate drops. Overall, the OBP is probably sustainable, or something close to it anyway.

    And I'll take "really good leadoff guy" all day. Dozier doesn't need to be the "perfect leadoff guy" to stick in that role for the time being. Right now, he's one of the best leadoff guys in baseball, if not the best leadoff guy in baseball.

    And with Plouffe slotting into the third spot of the lineup so nicely, it's not as if the Twins are really sacrificing production by having Dozier leadoff.
    His big SLG improvement, accelerating K% and falling year-over-year contact rates are warning signals suggesting he may not always be the best leadoff guy and the Twins should be proactive if someone else better fills the role.

    There's no doubt though, that both Dozier and Plouffe appear to have made sustainable upgrades in their games. The SB number for Dozier and the Doubles number for Plouffe really stand out and don't whatsoever appear to be flukes.

  18. #14
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    723
    Like
    121
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    His big SLG improvement, accelerating K% and falling year-over-year contact rates are warning signals suggesting he may not always be the best leadoff guy and the Twins should be proactive if someone else better fills the role.

    There's no doubt though, that both Dozier and Plouffe appear to have made sustainable upgrades in their games. The SB number for Dozier and the Doubles number for Plouffe really stand out and don't whatsoever appear to be flukes.
    When he's ready, Buxton can have that role.

  19. #15
    Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Posts
    438
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Like
    116
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    76
    I love the excitement that Dozier brings to this team, both offensively and defensively. I like Dozier in the lead off spot. I like Byron Buxton and the hope and promise of a great young prospect, but I don't like this talk of just waiting for Buxton to assume his role as the consummate leadoff hitter. I'll take everyday of Brian Dozier I can get until Buxton FORCES HIM OUT OF THE LEADOFF SPOT. Prospects will break your heart. Give me the here and now and let the young guys develop in the minors.

  20. These 2 users like Paul Pleiss's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Oldgoat_MN (05-06-2014), USAFChief (05-06-2014)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.