Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Austin Malinowski

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Austin Malinowski

According to BA the Twins released Austin Malinowski. He's young, left handed & has had pretty decent stats in his two seasons. I'm curious with why he was released & the timing seems a little unusual also.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 374 Times in 232 Posts
    Yes, very strange. It wouldn't look to be performance related. He pitched very well for E-ton last year.

Either its a typo, his arm fell off or he quit baseball. Or something else. Agree, very strange.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    His twitter says it happened but nothing else so I imagine it must be a baseball related decision. Perhaps (probably likely) that his stuff isn't as nice as his stat line.

https://twitter.com/AJMalinowski24

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,287 Times in 1,748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hard to figure. Entering his age 21 year, 6-foot-4, 210 pounds, throws lefty, good stats in rookie-level ball. Something his coaches see, that says to them, "no hope of his ever being in a major league box score". None. No chance of growing into his body, no chance of learning from the coaching staff... just no hope. So final. I feel sorry for the kid, and for every kid for whom the axe comes so early for.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 05-05-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by golfboy1 View Post
    According to BA the Twins released Austin Malinowski. He's young, left handed & has had pretty decent stats in his two seasons. I'm curious with why he was released & the timing seems a little unusual also.
    He is a Minnesotan too. From Lino Lakes. They also released another LHRP Andre Martinez, 6 round pick in 2012. They both pitched in Etown last season, are in their age 21 season (which would had been above average age in Etown) and were in EST. Not sure what the scoop is, but they are caught in the numbers game. All of a sudden, the Twins have a fairly strong LHRP pipeline in the minors from AAA to A.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even if the Twins feel strong in the LHP department, this is just an odd move. I can only speculate, but I'm wondering if there was some type of off field issue going on here. But I guess its also possible that Twins scouts, despite his numbers thus far, don't feel Malinowski has the stuff to ever sniff the big leagues.

I guess we'll see if he catches on with another team...