Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Crucial Time for Pinto, Colabello and Plouffe

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries

A Crucial Time for Pinto, Colabello and Plouffe

Three early stars of the surprising Twins' offense have struggled of late. All are still playing regularly, but diminished playing time could be in the offing if the current disabled players return.

Josmil Pinto has been in a long o-fer, broken in his last at bat last night. He hasn't driven the ball much in the past week and has struck out more while walking less. Pinto has DHed a majority of the time, and the return of Arcia (and demotion of Herrmann) could diminish his at bats as a DH.

Colabello hasn't hit well at Target Field and had a poor homestand. Much like Pinto, the strikeouts are up and hard hit balls are rare. The return of an outfielder would make Colabello into the DH, and two returning outfielders could mean a platoon.

Plouffe has no such worries, but still has struggled for more than a week. So far, he hasn't gotten the ball in the seats and the strikeouts are climbing.

Each of these players seemed to be "riding the wave" in April, but now have fallen off. Which ones will adjust and find continued success and which ones will be thought of as having a fluky month?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,590 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pinto should re-establish himself, though probably not at an .800+ OPS in the short-term.

Plouffe, thanks to the new approach, should continue hitting well enough to be an asset though the home run power might never return.

Colabello, yikes. Not looking good for him right now.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Watching the last few innings of last night's game reminded me a lot of last year - whiff whiff whiff.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Pinto, imo, is a very good offensive catcher. I'm not convinced he's a very good DH. I'd like to see him catch 2 times a week, to get better at it.

I think Plouffe is fine, about averageish....I'm good with that.

I have no opinion on Collo....other than Arcia and Pinto should both be in the lineup when they are both healthy and able.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    I didnt expect any of them to post 1.000 OPS's so it doesn't yet concern me to see them come back to earth. Of the three, it looks to me like Plouffe has a real chance to stay a competent MLB hitter, and Pinto a real chance to develop into a very good hitter for a catcher. I've always been skeptical of Colabello, and I still am, so I would expect the recent struggles to continue.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

6. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    No question this could be a crucial moment. Danny Haren said it in the Dodgers series: the way you pitch to these guys is throw the first pitch strike. So we need to adjust before these mini-slumps become something more serious. Mauer is a two strike hitter but I'm not sure Plouffe or Colabello have it in them.

I don't think this is a fluke -- I think these guys are having good at bats and figured out how to do that. But nothing is guaranteed.

Hopefully at some future date we're not looking back fondly on those "three weeks in April" as some golden moment.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    Someone smarter than me can probably diagnose what's up with Colabello recently compared to his hot streak. I'm assuming his slump is a direct result of MLB pitchers making adjustments and/or finding the hole in his swing. So it's his turn to adjust, and hopefully he can figure out what they are doing.

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Of the 3, I'm really only concerned about Colabello, who has seemingly turned right back into a pumpkin after hitting that homer on his mom's birthday.

Pinto's at bats have looked rough, but I think that's to be expected as a young player adapts to Major League pitching.

For the most part, Plouffe's at bats have been solid and he's still making very good contact. He looked at strike 3 on the corner a few too many times for my liking last night, but they were also well thrown pitches. I think his new approach will help him weather these rough spots.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    One thing to keep in mind is that Colabello was supposed to be the bench bat - he's getting a lot of at bats right now because Willingham and Arcia are out of the office. His contribution in April was huge, no question about that, but he's being used in a way that he was not intended to be.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
    I would also add Kubel to the list of those who have cooled off quite a bit.

But most importantly I think this is a critical time for Brunansky. Before the Dodgers series everyone was praising him for getting the players to become more patient and wait for the good pitches to hit. But now pitchers have made the adjustment to what the Twins want to do. Haren even directly said it. As a side note there is a really interesting story on SI.com about the Brewers hacking at first pitches, etc since pitchers are being told to get ahead in counts and throw first pitch strikes. Why take a 3-0 pitch when you know it will likely be a fastball down the middle? The article calls it Brewerball and discusses it as a response to the Moneyball philosophy that a walk is as good of a hit. Personally I like the aggressive approach,(in moderation) walks don't score a runner from second or go for extra bases.

Anyway, back to my original point. MLB is a constant challenge of adjustments. It is coaches job to try and stay one step ahead. Bruno came up with a good formula, pitchers caught up to it, now the next move is up to him.

12. This user likes zwiefz's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (05-06-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    and/or finding the hole in his swing.
    I'm going out on a limb to guess that the hole doesn't reside between his feet and the inside edge of home plate, but somewhere beyond that.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A response to a couple thought expressed here: Colabello doesn't seem to have much of a platoon split--while he was slated for occasional DH duty, he would be most likely hitting against both left handers and right handers as he has. He hit everyone early in April, not so much the last two weeks.

Kubel is being used every day (as opposed to being platooned) and has spent most of his time in left field (not DHing). I agree that he has cooled, but he is being asked to play out of his element. Also, he is an established major leaguer who has experienced seasons of success, as opposed to the three I listed (Plouffe and Pinto both had a hot month, Colabello had experienced no more than a couple of good games).

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    5 guys with 30+ k's after 30 games. Walks have been going down, k's are still there (9.2 per 9) likely reverting to the norm is happening.

Todays silly comment:
    Maybe when Joe gets back, he could bat 1st and move Dozier down to 2nd or 3rd. It kind of makes sense to have the high obp guy on in front of the guy who is hitting the hr's. Let Joe do what he does best get on base and not worry about him being a middle of the order bat.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

16. This user likes Winston Smith's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (05-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that Colabello was supposed to be the bench bat - he's getting a lot of at bats right now because Willingham and Arcia are out of the office. His contribution in April was huge, no question about that, but he's being used in a way that he was not intended to be.
    Actually Kirby I think you nailed it.

Though if he had been this hot as a part timer or bench bat, there would have been pressure to play him full time eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    5 guys with 30+ k's after 30 games. Walks have been going down, k's are still there (9.2 per 9) likely reverting to the norm is happening.

Todays silly comment:
    Maybe when Joe gets back, he could bat 1st and move Dozier down to 2nd or 3rd. It kind of makes sense to have the high obp guy on in front of the guy who is hitting the hr's. Let Joe do what he does best get on base and not worry about him being a middle of the order bat.
    Tallest lead off batter in history?

Why not?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post

Todays silly comment:

Why do I always think your silly ideas are really good ideas?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I expect Pinto to blossom into an above average C. I think with Arcia returning, he's going to slide more into a C role and Suzuki is going to get a bit of extra time off, and i'm fine with that. It should keep them both fresh too.

I'm pretty excited about what Plouffe is doing and I think he can sustain it.

I'm not sure on Cola. I hope he can adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by iTwins View Post
    Of the 3, I'm really only concerned about Colabello, who has seemingly turned right back into a pumpkin after hitting that homer on his mom's birthday.

Pinto's at bats have looked rough, but I think that's to be expected as a young player adapts to Major League pitching.

For the most part, Plouffe's at bats have been solid and he's still making very good contact. He looked at strike 3 on the corner a few too many times for my liking last night, but they were also well thrown pitches. I think his new approach will help him weather these rough spots.
    The thing that concerns me about Plouffe of late is the struggle with the outside corner appears a lot like last year. Pinto seems pretty aggressive on first pitch swings and I like to see that mixed in the lineup so that a pitcher can't get comfortable grooving the first pitch for a gimme strike. Cola seemed last night to be a bit less disciplined and was swinging at pitches out of the zone.

I fear that the Twins are who we thought they were.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pinto is off tonight, with Plouffe DHing. Are both a bit tired?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is the beauty of Baseball & long seasons. Its always a balance pitchers adjusting to the hitters and the hitters making adjustments to those adjustments in how they are pitched to. With the new approach this was fully expected, the challenge will be for Bruno to help these guys adjust to the new approaches they are seeing.

This is why talent + hard work always wins out.

24. This user likes Trevor0333's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Joe A. Preusser (05-06-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast