Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Crucial Time for Pinto, Colabello and Plouffe

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Pinto should re-establish himself, though probably not at an .800+ OPS in the short-term.

Plouffe, thanks to the new approach, should continue hitting well enough to be an asset though the home run power might never return.

Colabello, yikes. Not looking good for him right now.
    Three great points, although I think if we're using Cola at a bench bat/part time DH there's no problem with him either.

Lots of doom and gloom in this thread, like everyone was just waiting for us to struggle for a game or a week and then POUNCE. We're playing .500 baseball and the SP has almost certainly not shown us their best yet. I'm still excited.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 173 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lot of great points and observations.

My initial thoughts.

There are always ebbs and flows to the season, team wide and player wide. Hot streaks and cold streaks, etc. And yeah, a whole bunch of .900 and .1000 OPS numbers is just sustainable or expected. Bruno has done a great job so far, IMO, and I believe he will continue to work hard with all the guys and you'll see adjustments makes and hotter bats will prevail again.

Pinto has shown, minors and majors both, power and discipline. He's young and learning. There will obviously be good and bad moments, but I think he'll continue to shine, learn and grow overall.

Plouffe, to me, just looks like a different hitter than before. Call it a new approach, Bruno's coaching, or TK's famous observations about a batter needing 1,500-2,000 AB's to find himself and figure out what's going on, or a combination of all three. He simply appears more confident, and seems to have a real approach at the plate. Last few games I caught, I was upset by the strikeouts of course by everyone, but I also so a few pitches on the outside corners that were between awesome and "how could the ump call that 4-5" outside the black?!"

Kubel, I think, has fooled everyone. It appears there's still real life in him. I am so glad to have been wrong about him. (Also, his defense is as good as it has ever been)

I can understand worry about Colabello. No matter what, he's a great story. But as I stated before, I've quit doubting him until I have no choice. Ever since the Twins signed him, he's done nothing but defy odds and make adjustments. Again, I believe he will again until/unless proven wrong. Not probably ever a ML level stud hitter, but a good one.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 173 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As to Mauer, he's shown signs of getting back on track recently. Except for a few stetches in his career, and it seems to me to usually be in the early season, he's one of the best pure hitters in all baseball, and most days, could fall out of bed and go 2 for 4 with a double and a walk.

I still maintain, in a decent and balanced lineup, good hitter behind him, couple solid hitters with various talent in front of him, he's best in the 3 hole. Call me old fashioned in my thinking, but I like my best pure hitter in that 3 hole to "stack" the lineup. Using Mauer, in this case, you have a perennial .300 hitter, batting champ, who gets OB at a .400 clip, hits 40 doubles a year in a healthy year, works the count, can hit with 2 strikes, doesn't seemed bothered by runners on base who move around and might steal, is good for about 12-13 HR's, with potential for more if healthy and getting a good 500-600 AB's, which is the plan for this season. It allows your best overall hitter to drive in runs, and help set the table himself with his various contributions.

That being said, I grew up watching guys like Downing for the Angels and Boggs for the Red Sox be very effective, non-conventional LO hitters with high Avg, high OB, and good double power with HR's mixed in setting the table for the rest of the lineup.

Dozier is turning in to a real, complete stud. And if we don't have someone on the roster who can join him as a solid, productive presence at the top of the lineup, I'm in agreement that perhaps Mauer should be considered for the 1 spot with Dozier dropping a spot. The only problem I see with he and Mauer flip-flopping is I wonder if it would slow Dozier on the base paths in regard to SB threat.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The most interesting part of this thread, to me, has been the talk of flip-flopping Mauer and Dozier in the 1/2 slots. That's interesting and intreaguing with the power Dozier has displayed the last half-season plus. I wouldn't want to see Dozier moved any further down the lineup, nor Mauer. I think those two guys at the top of the lineup is the right call, in either order, but I like the speed of Dozier leading off. Dozier gives you that advantage of taking more bases on the Joe Mauer singles/doubles that are sure to come.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    As to Mauer, he's shown signs of getting back on track recently. Except for a few stetches in his career, and it seems to me to usually be in the early season, he's one of the best pure hitters in all baseball, and most days, could fall out of bed and go 2 for 4 with a double and a walk.

I still maintain, in a decent and balanced lineup, good hitter behind him, couple solid hitters with various talent in front of him, he's best in the 3 hole. Call me old fashioned in my thinking, but I like my best pure hitter in that 3 hole to "stack" the lineup. Using Mauer, in this case, you have a perennial .300 hitter, batting champ, who gets OB at a .400 clip, hits 40 doubles a year in a healthy year, works the count, can hit with 2 strikes, doesn't seemed bothered by runners on base who move around and might steal, is good for about 12-13 HR's, with potential for more if healthy and getting a good 500-600 AB's, which is the plan for this season. It allows your best overall hitter to drive in runs, and help set the table himself with his various contributions.

That being said, I grew up watching guys like Downing for the Angels and Boggs for the Red Sox be very effective, non-conventional LO hitters with high Avg, high OB, and good double power with HR's mixed in setting the table for the rest of the lineup.

Dozier is turning in to a real, complete stud. And if we don't have someone on the roster who can join him as a solid, productive presence at the top of the lineup, I'm in agreement that perhaps Mauer should be considered for the 1 spot with Dozier dropping a spot. The only problem I see with he and Mauer flip-flopping is I wonder if it would slow Dozier on the base paths in regard to SB threat.
    Mauer has only been good for 12 or more HR's twice in his 10 year career.

Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Hold Tight

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Three early stars of the surprising Twins' offense have struggled of late. All are still playing regularly, but diminished playing time could be in the offing if the current disabled players return.

Josmil Pinto has been in a long o-fer, broken in his last at bat last night. He hasn't driven the ball much in the past week and has struck out more while walking less. Pinto has DHed a majority of the time, and the return of Arcia (and demotion of Herrmann) could diminish his at bats as a DH.

Colabello hasn't hit well at Target Field and had a poor homestand. Much like Pinto, the strikeouts are up and hard hit balls are rare. The return of an outfielder would make Colabello into the DH, and two returning outfielders could mean a platoon.

Plouffe has no such worries, but still has struggled for more than a week. So far, he hasn't gotten the ball in the seats and the strikeouts are climbing.

Each of these players seemed to be "riding the wave" in April, but now have fallen off. Which ones will adjust and find continued success and which ones will be thought of as having a fluky month?
    The Twins had a much better April then any of us were predicting at the start of the season. We need to hold tight with the hitters that got us here. They need to stop screwing around and bring Arcia back up and start Escobar at SS. Add that to Mauer back in the lineup and the fact that the starters are looking better and better and I see a formula for some good baseball and a chance to be at .500 in early June. That would be a great position from which to tweek the lineup for a run at second place in the division.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bear333 View Post
    That would be a great position from which to tweek the lineup for a run at second place in the division.
    I think the Twins can hope to be within a few games of .500 at the end of May, but I don't think there's any hope of this team competeing for 2nd in the division. They could, however, battle for 3rd, and that's a lot better than fighting for last with the B@#$H Sox

I'm surprised everyone is giving up on Cola already. The guy has a good track record in the minors and has looked great for the majority of this season. Everyone goes through slumps in this game - lets give him a chance to work through it - maybe he hits .280/24/100 - everyone would be happy with that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chavez View Post
    I'm surprised everyone is giving up on Cola already. The guy has a good track record in the minors and has looked great for the majority of this season. Everyone goes through slumps in this game - lets give him a chance to work through it - maybe he hits .280/24/100 - everyone would be happy with that.
    There is a good argument that most of his early season success was extremely luck based.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12