Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jack Morris in the booth

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While we're on the subject, who wants to see an announcing team of Tom Kelly and Jack Morris?

Innings 1-5: unintelligible growling

Innings 6-7: more unintelligible growling

Inning 8: slightly louder unintelligible growling because the starting pitcher didn't go the distance

Inning 9: both have left the booth out of frustration with the world in general

2. These 5 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ericchri (05-07-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (05-07-2014), Monkeypaws (05-07-2014), snepp (05-07-2014), TheLeviathan (05-07-2014)

Jack and Kris Atteberry used to have a radio show after the Sunday game that I really enjoyed.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I find Gladden a mixture of horrifying and delightful, but not in a positive way.

Some of his statements are unintentional comedy gold.
    Oh for sure. If Gladden was doing on the radio what Blyleven does on TV I think it would help a ton.

Instead the guy does damn near half the game as play-by-play and even a word like horrifying barely does it justice.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    That list starts with Hawk Harrelson. No matter how goofy Bert gets, I always know it could be much, much worse.
    He Gone.

Speaking of Hawk, this video took a second to load but trust me, it is worth it. From outright screaming, to literally saying nothing when the other team hits a HR or steals base.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2013/the-...mpilation.html
    Last edited by tobi0040; 05-07-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luckylager View Post
    Not a fan of Jack Morris as an announcer. His delivery is just so dry and monotone. With Tom Kelly we at least get some insight and quirky commentary to go with his drone.
    Morris misses the point. He is supposed to interrupt comments about the game with stories and tidbits. Not interrupt his stories and tidbits by updates on the game

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    I like Morris. I don't mind Bert but he's been on so long I feel like I can predict what he will say.

Bremer still talks too much.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    I agree, he offers good insight but his delivery needs improving. At least he's not as bad as TK.
    I've never, ever caught TK on his good days, whether Twins broadcasts, his old radio shows, whatever. Apparently when he's on, he's on. But more often than not he's the bored grumbler stating the obvious.

I did catch the TK ceremony in 2012 though and it was pretty darn good and a great show of taste for him to invite his entire neighborhood with him (and for the Twins to let him).

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 382 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Jack and Kris Atteberry used to have a radio show after the Sunday game that I really enjoyed.

I used to listen to this, and if I remember correctly Morris had no qualms about being honest out the flaws of the team which I lked. The biggest issue I had, and this is not Jack's fault, is that it seemed like every caller or guest had to bring up Morris's World Series performance. It was a significant portion of Twins history and definitely is worthy of discussion, but it seemed like it came up with every discussion of a poor pitching performance (which were not uncommon that year). Again, not Jack's fault, and I like the acknowledgement of the history, but it seemed like it came up a couple of times an hour. "Jack, I know you would have pitched a full game today..."

Obviously the World Series were great, and love hearing the stories, but it does seem if a player from one of those teams is in the booth, even regularily, they have to be praised at least once for their play during that time (sometimes with some very rose colored glasses). Just a petty nitpick, in general I love how the former players are still involved with the team and how the history is acknowledged and respected.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I like Morris. I don't mind Bert but he's been on so long I feel like I can predict what he will say.

Bremer still talks too much.
    IMO both Dick and Bert talk too much. It's early, small sample size and all, but I like that Morris doesn't think he needs to fill every second with talk. As he does more games he likely will get more comfortable and improve his delivery.

Bert really could use a new spiel.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Rex Hudler is worse. I'd rather listen to the semi-competent homer that is Hawk Harrelson over the guy who makes Dan Gladden look like Albert Schweitzer.
    Well picked. I was shocked the first time I heard Hudler and thought that, perhaps, Harrelson would have a rival in awfulness. But then Hudler coined the term "gettin' Figgy with it" for successful Angels' applications of Chone, and Harrelson was already knocked off the obnoxious catchphrase throne. Hudler compounds this feat with the extra weird bit of homerism where he can't seem to give an opposing team credit for anything. Like, at all.

Though I've noticed that less in his time with the Royals because they're the Royals.

12. This user likes Celebrity Weddings!'s post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-07-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 68 Posts
    Actually a guy I really liked who has yet to be mentioned was Jim Kaat. Best ex-Twin announcer ever.

14. These 6 users like Monkeypaws's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (05-07-2014), crarko (05-07-2014), ericchri (05-07-2014), ScottyB (05-07-2014), USAFChief (05-07-2014), Willihammer (05-07-2014)

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    The Panther is a much better hockey guy than baseball.
    Like Sex Panther, the Talking Hair is illegal in nine countries. Unfortunately this isn't one of them.

162 games is twice the workload of basketball and hockey, and twice the chance of broadcaster overdose for fans. They need guys like Morris to provide some variety. He seems pretty good so far.

Imho, Bert peaked as an announcer at the height of the push to get him inducted. He finally saw a glimmer of the sabermetric light and it really improved his contribution to the broadcast. Then he got in, and pretty much seems to have been coasting ever since. Three losing seasons probably haven't helped.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 05-07-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Actually a guy I really liked who has yet to be mentioned was Jim Kaat. Best ex-Twin announcer ever.
    Kitty was (is) brilliant.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    He Gone.

Speaking of Hawk, this video took a second to load but trust me, it is worth it. From outright screaming, to literally saying nothing when the other team hits a HR or steals base.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2013/the-...mpilation.html
    Great link. Just watched the first freakout. Looking forward to the rest when I have time.

Haven't seen all the other broadcasters so can't say he's the worst, but I will always dislike him the most.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Best Twins booth ever - Ray Scott & Halsey Hall

Most Professional booth - Ted Robinson & Kitty

I wish the Twins had brought back Ryan Lefebvre instead of Provus.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    Halsey was great either uncontrollable laughing or a coughing fit from his cigars. Not much else but he was fun!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Halsey was great either uncontrollable laughing or a coughing fit from his cigars. Not much else but he was fun!
    And Ray Scott when on radio he would paint you a picture, very eloquently, and on TV he'd let the picture tell the story. Totally understated.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Best Twins booth ever - Ray Scott & Halsey Hall

Most Professional booth - Ted Robinson & Kitty

I wish the Twins had brought back Ryan Lefebvre instead of Provus.
    Speaking of professional, my favorite Dick and Bert moment was when Dick said to Bert "they called you captain hook, I presume it was because of your curveball". Bert said "I sure hope so" and then they giggled and could not say a word the rest of the inning.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I dont know about anybody else but when I hear Herb Carneal and John Gordon I get goosebumps. I have taped twins games...occasdionally i find one and pop it. In my eyes those two set the standard. I always enjoy Dick and Bert cuz they make me laugh...and Im Dutch
    Don't let MLB find out you taped the games, they're new marketing strategy is to prevent fans from enjoying games in ways they don't have to pay for.

I don't understand how anyone can like anything about Dan Gladden.

It's obvious he loves the sound of his own voice so much he has instructed Provus to stay off mic while he is on PBP. Provus barely says a word whenever Gladden takes over the play by play duties.

Not to mention his numerous idiotic phrases he says game after game after game...

"That's another run drooven in by Minnesota."

"Let's take ten seconds for stations to identify themselfs."

And of course any time any ball is hit in the air and it isn't directly headed for someone...without fail..."That's trouble" or "That ball's trouble."

Dan Gladden is nails on a chalkboard, I was really jealous when Chicago stole away Coomer he would have been an immense improvement over Gladden.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast