Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: What To Do With Chris Parmelee?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's room for Parmelee if Mauer hits the DL and that could be a real possibility if he doesn't play in the next couple days. Hicks and Arcia look to be ready to go by the end of the road trip if not sooner. Hicks for Santana, Arcia for Herrmann, Nunez for Florimon. If the Twins want to go down to 12 pitchers, Parmelee for Darnell and of course, Parmelee for Mauer if he is DLed.

2. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

SydneyTwinsFan (05-07-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    that's what a team COMMITTED to a rebuild would have done last year. But man, this team cannot figure out it's strategy is at all......

1. DFA Hermann, call up Parmalee, put him in RF until Arcia is up.
    2. Put Parmalee at DH when Arcia is up, move Pinto to catching 2-3 times a week
    3. DFA Florimann and start eithe Esco or Santana (though I'd have Santana in AAA)
    4. Please do not make room for a 35 year old RP, when you are flush in RP in the minors. If your strategy is to build from within, actually try building from within for a change
    5. One more month of May/Meyer in the minors, and if they are good, call them up and figure out what to do with Deduno/Pelfrey/KC, but don't keep them down for more than half the year because you are afraid of I don't know what with those three.
    6. Move Dozier to SS in August, and see if he can play it.

that is all....
    While I agree with some of this, is not Parmalee a better Outfielder than Arcia? Why not leave him out there and DH Arcia

"Bernardino opined the Twins may 60 day Willingham to make room for Guerrier. As if the a Twins needed more relief pitching, and didn't need a bench. The Twins wouldn't actually do it, would they? If they felt the need to hold on to him, they'd DFA Burton, right? Please..."

Yeah if they add Guerrier, I'm gonna be sad again.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    And this is part of the reason why I thought Parmelee should have received 500+ PA in the Majors last season. Would he have cemented himself on the roster had that happened? Maybe not, maybe even probably not... But he has a potential future with this team and it was worth doing all you can to answer that question last season.
    Parmelee was on a 488 PA pace when he was sent down last July, over halfway through the season. He had been playing every day for the previous 3 weeks, and was mired in a terrible 1-for-22 funk (with 1 BB and 12 K). His slump more or less continued at AAA (.688 OPS).

Letting him continue to compile MLB PAs at that point would have been like letting Vance Worley continue to pitch in MLB -- I don't think that more playing time, under those circumstances, is going to give you any additional positive information about the player.

6. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (05-09-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SydneyTwinsFan View Post
    It's utterly inexcusable that Herrmann has started 4 of the past 6 games while Parmelee rakes in AAA, particularly as he can actually catch the ball in RF unlike Herrmann and Colabello. Accept the crushing loss of Eric Fryer or Kenny Wilson from the 40 man and get him up. The Twins can worry about what to do with him when/if Willingham proves he is fit.

They should also bring back Arcia for one of the 13 pitchers at the same time (either DFA Burton or option one of Tonkin or Darnell, as harsh as it would be on those guys). He has put up a .333/.379/.444 line through 8 rehab games now - that's enough.
    Agreed. Perfect time for Parmelee to have another shot at 1st and RF, while Herrmann goes down to regroup. With Arcia I'd rather have Darnell go back down with a nice cuppa coffee, as Tonkin is looking pretty good.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blindeke View Post
    "Bernardino opined the Twins may 60 day Willingham to make room for Guerrier. As if the a Twins needed more relief pitching, and didn't need a bench. The Twins wouldn't actually do it, would they? If they felt the need to hold on to him, they'd DFA Burton, right? Please..."

Yeah if they add Guerrier, I'm gonna be sad again.
    It has to happen by tomorrow's opt-out date, so this move is something that must have been anticipated since MG was signed. It only makes sense if they are planning on doing something with Burton. They really wouldn't swap him into a spot for either Darnell or Tonkin, would they.....?
    Last edited by jokin; 05-07-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    Parmelee, Plouffe, and Dozier. All guys who have had stretches of excellence at AAA. Plouffe and Dozier are showing signs of turning into useful assets for the majors team. I think Parmelee could join them.
    I assume you mean Colabello instead of Dozier? Dozier actually didn't play much at AAA, and did not play particularly well there either (.623 OPS in 200 PA). Although Cola might be fading fast at the MLB level.

And Plouffe was already a useful asset (although not necessarily a middle of the order bat). Even without any major step forward this year, he's roughly a league average bat and glove at 3B. Hence his $2.35 mil salary.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WLFINN View Post
    While I agree with some of this, is not Parmalee a better Outfielder than Arcia? Why not leave him out there and DH Arcia
    Arcia is a long term option at OF, Parm is probably not. I would want Arcia playing his LT position up here.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A lot of this depends on Joe Mauer's sore back. At C you've got Suzuki, Pinto and Escobar in an emergency. That does leave room to rotate Parms at 1st/RF while Arcia does LF/RF, Colabello at RF/1st, Kubes at RF/LF, and they all take turns at DH.

12. These 2 users like jimbo92107's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-07-2014), scottz (05-07-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Parmelee was on a 488 PA pace when he was sent down last July, over halfway through the season. He had been playing every day for the previous 3 weeks, and was mired in a terrible 1-for-22 funk (with 1 BB and 12 K). His slump more or less continued at AAA (.688 OPS).

Letting him continue to compile MLB PAs at that point would have been like letting Vance Worley continue to pitch in MLB -- I don't think that more playing time, under those circumstances, is going to give you any additional positive information about the player.
    This is essentially the same "slump" that Pinto is in right now!?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would absolutely bring up Guerrier to keep him from leaving. Here's a thought. The A's have a SS prospect so they could be open to trading their current SS who is about to be a FA. Corriea and Guerrier or Burton for Lowrie in June when the Twins are ready to bring up Meyer and the A's are ready to bring up their SS prospect.

All 3 players are set to be FA at the end of the season. so the long term isn't that big of a deal. it would be considered a tryout for Lowrie and see if he likes it here to resign too.
    Last edited by Brandon; 05-07-2014 at 10:05 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    25 MAN ROSTER:

(13 position players)
    C- Suzuki, Pinto (Escobar is the emergency catcher) - Split games evenly. Pinto's bat is good, but are we sure it is better than Colabello, Parmalee or Arcia's to have him be the DH and not one of them?
    1B- Mauer & Colabello
    2B-Dozier
    3B-Plouffe
    SS-Escobar, Florimon (send Santana back to AAA) - The everyday job needs to go to Escobar.
    LF - Kubel & Arcia
    CF - Hicks & Fuld - Hicks needs to play everyday and Fuld is not a part of the future. Hicks still can be (although its painful to watch).
    RF - Parmalee & Colabello - this could be a straight platoon or just riding the "hot hand." Hitters go on streaks. Ride 'em while their hot, sit 'em when they're not.
    DH - Revolving door of matchups and who is hitting well. Pinto has got to be a better hitter to get the AB's here. If its a RH on the mound, there's no reason that Kubel, Arcia and Parmalee can't/should't all be in the lineup.

SP- Nolasco, Hughes, Correia, Deduno & Gibson (5)
    RP - Theibar, Duensing, Swarzak, Fien, Tonkin, Burton (6)
    CP - Perkins
    (12 pitchers)

We have not seen the last of Parmalee with the big club. I fear that Colabello will fade, leaving a spot available for Parmalee. I do think he can hit at the major league level, with time. Like Dozier and Plouffe before him - he needs to continue to mature. The main difference between Dozier/Plouffe and Parmalee is that the former filled holes that had few other options. The Twins had little choice but to play Plouffe and Dozier everyday. It appears that the exposure they have gotten has paid off. The latter, Parmalee, has had to compete for playing time since day one. As a result, he has only had sporadic stretches in the line up.

If Colabello can not keep pace and Willingham is a long term DL case, Parmalee is the most obvious person to bring up to the big club.

17. These 2 users like MileHighTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

scottz (05-07-2014), WLFINN (05-07-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Willingham is done after this year, nothing about him * should matter to any discussion of others getting playing time, imo. If you aren't going all in to compete, you should get your young guys on the field and playing.

*unless they are in a pennant race after July, and Willingham is healthy
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    It has to happen by tomorrow's opt-out date, so this move is something that must have been anticipated since MG was signed. It only makes sense if they are planning on doing something with Burton. They really wouldn't swap him into a spot for either Darnell or Tonkin, would they.....?
    This is the second opt out date. He went to free agency in March/early April, and was resigned by the Twins, not certain there is a master scheme here...

Yes, bring Parms back up and play him and lets see if he is part of the future. He is younger than Willingham and Colabello. Who to send down?? Pick one--Santana who needs to learn SS at Rochester or Hermann or DL Mauer or better yet one of the bullpen guys.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DuluthFan View Post
    Parmalee has had his shot at the 25 man roster and didn't make the cut. His positions are being capably handled by Colabello and Kubel with Arcia coming back when he is ready.

You would actually lose value for Parmalee by adding him to the 25 man roster now. He has no options left. If he needs to be sent back down, you not only expose him by DFA'ing him but if I'm not mistaken, he can also become a free agent by being DFA'd twice. As he currently is not on the 40 man roster, he can be traded to any team without having to be waived or needing to stick on another team's 25/40 man rosters. He has more value as a trade chip by not needing a roster spot.

Where would Parmalee play if he was called up? He can play 1st, DH or one of the corner outfield positions. The last I heard we had Mauer, Colabello, Kubel and Pinto filling those positions with Arcia and Willingham eventually coming back from the DL. And if you remember the previous years, Parmalee was not particularly strong as a pinch hitter. Parmalee has had his chance to make this team. Let him play his way onto another team via a trade.
    ^ This.

Parmelee is a AAAA player. His ceiling is Randy Bush - except he isn't great off the bench as a pinch hitter. His potential is a 12 homer, 40 RBI guy who can play corner outfield and 1B. Those types of players are a dime a dozen. He's having a great stretch at Rochester, but we've seen this before.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    I don't agree with this all that much. While he's never going to post a good UZR or any other defensive metric statistic because of his limited speed, he would be the 2nd best outfielder on our team right now.
    I didn't mean to imply that he's terrible at the positions he plays, I actually agree that he's a little underrated, but at the end of the day he's a slow-footed corner OF and first baseman. That's pretty much all the way at the left end of the defensive spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    You guys are downplaying the likelihood of our catcher getting hurt and the horrors of not having a DH for a few innings in that scenario.

I know it is not going to happen, but could you imagine if it did?
    This!!

Seriously, though ..

CP should be brought up and played every day against RHP for 2-3 straight months regardless of slumps, etc. .... If he can't show that he's an MLB level talent in that time frame, then I guess he got his fair shake.

Still feel like CP will end up being Garret Jones II.

24. This user likes slash129's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

scottz (05-07-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    I'm confused how he has trade value, if he's a AAAA player. I'm confused that we should worry about losing him to options, but keep him in AAA. He has zero value in AAA. None.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast