Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris Herrmann

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I have to think that the Twins will make their move today or tomorrow- the Wings are just 2 hours down the road at Columbus. It's arguable that 13 pitchers and 3 "catchers" cost them a chance to beat a struggling Indians squad last night- and made the job tougher in the 1-0 win on Monday night. After Mauer went down on Sunday, and coming off of 3 good starts from the rotation against the Orioles- they could have had sent down an excess pitcher and Hermann and added 2 more bats on the roster- at the cost of only needing to add one player to the 40-man- Parmelee and Vargas.
    I hope you are right

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 857 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    So, let me get this 3rd catcher theory straight.

We keep a 3rd catcher on roster for two potential scenarios....

Scenario 1) One of our catchers is catching and the other is DHing. The guy that is catching gets injured, so the DH needs to get pulled into the game, "eliminating" the DH and causing the pitcher to get placed in the batting order. If this happens early in a game, it COULD mean that the pitcher spot would come up several times over the course of the rest of the game.

To avoid this 1/50 chance we are now batting Hermann, who is worse at hitting than an average MLB pitcher, several times EVERY game. Under normal circumstances, where the 3rd catcher just sits on the bench week after week, having this player prevents a legitimate late inning PHer from being on the roster, who could have an impact on many games per week.

Scenario 2) One of our two offensive juggernaut catchers gets an off day, but is available to PH. Late in the game we use him to PH. THEN our starting catcher gets hurt, leaving us needing to use our emergency catcher, presumably for no more than an inning or two.

To avoid this "once every 5 years" chance, we are currently using our 3rd catcher in the OF, but he's not any good, and he's one of the guys who we would pinch hit for, so we haven't really avoided this "problem." Under normal circumstances we carry dead weight on our roster so that Eduardo Escobar doesn't need to play catcher for an inning once every 5 years.
    Well stated. It's maddening, to the point of infuriating, that there is no one in Twins management that can't calmly break this all down to the manager and then hit him upside the head with the cold, hard statistical facts.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    I think the other elephant in the room is the infielder in the outfield syndrome that the Twins are suffering from. They were given a get out of jail free card when Bartlett retired, but they have still been running a first baseman in RF regularly (Colabello) and on the radio last night I heard that Gardy has been making noise about Santana or Escobar playing Left Field when Kubel gets a day off at some point this week.

"Why?" indeed. You have to have 3 Catchers, but not 3 healthy outfielders?

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Crapps View Post
    Why?
    To get back to the original question... because Jason Bartlett retired?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    To get back to the original question... because Jason Bartlett retired?
    You probably could have just said "Because Bartlett". As others have said, everything seems to boil back down to that mystifying decision.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    I think the other elephant in the room is the infielder in the outfield syndrome that the Twins are suffering from. They were given a get out of jail free card when Bartlett retired, but they have still been running a first baseman in RF regularly (Colabello) and on the radio last night I heard that Gardy has been making noise about Santana or Escobar playing Left Field when Kubel gets a day off at some point this week.

"Why?" indeed. You have to have 3 Catchers, but not 3 healthy outfielders?
    And don't forget the 3 SS.

The problem is literally systemic- no viable OF options (save Parmelee) until you reach down to A+ ball, and the injuries and the bonehead Bartlett move have exposed the Twins short-sighted thinking on the lack of depth options for all to see. How do you go into the season:

with 3 guys who all struggled mightily in 2013 as your starters.....and then.......
    cut bait on Presley,
    not bolster the OF with a FA signing or 2,
    rely on a career SS, 2 years out of baseball as your 5th OF,
    rely on an Indy ball 1stB as your 6th OF,
    rely on Chris Hermann as your 7th OF.

This is on the Twins.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    Is it a misguided attempt to copy the Rays' success? I'm all for roster flexibility, but the talent and athleticism has to actually be there for it to work. A player can be an exceptional athlete, but it doesn't mean they can play out of their regular position with the same skill level.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I have to think that the Twins will make their move today or tomorrow- the Wings are just 2 hours down the road at Columbus- they likely kept Darnell around solely in the mop up role for Deduno's first start. It's arguable that 13 pitchers and 3 "catchers" cost them a chance to beat a struggling Indians squad last night- and made the job tougher in the 1-0 win on Monday night. After Mauer went down on Sunday, and coming off of 3 good starts from the rotation against the Orioles- they could have had sent down an excess pitcher and Hermann and added 2 more bats on the roster- at the cost of only needing to add one player to the 40-man- Parmelee and Vargas.
    Nit-pick, but I believe Vargas is on the 40-man.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I can't come soon enough.
    theoffice200.jpg

10. This user likes Fatt Crapps's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (05-07-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I think jokin meant that two bats can be added: Parmelee and Vargas
    For that to happen, only one 40-man move needs to be made: Parmelee.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    That's what I said. You only need to add Parmelee to the 40-man.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 819 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    I'd call up Parmelee now.

I get that it makes some tough roster decisions, but that's a bridge you can cross later. By the time that decision needs to be made, someone else is likely to be injured.

Who knows how long Hicks will be out? Or Willingham? Or maybe Mauer goes from day-to-day to DL?
    Not to pick nits, but if they called up Parmelee, the tough decision would have to be made now. The only way to post pone I would be to put someone on the 60 day DL, as that opens another 40 man spot. The 15 day DL does not.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    It's all part of the same issue. Going into the season with huge question marks and zero depth at key positions. Horrific roster management during the season, whether it's having no bench, waiting too long to DL injured players, etc. The Twins are going to have an awful hard time becoming legitimate contenders if they can't run the organization with even a bare minimum level of competency.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,305 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    Easy to DFA people off roster, Wilson not needed because of Buxton coming back
    The last time Wilson was DFAed he was claimed.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Crapps View Post
    Why?
    So Colabello does not play RF
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12