Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What up MLB?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    Because MLB sells access to internet radio broadcasts to consumers. They don't want their local broadcast affiliates giving it away for free
    Outside of the teams fan market. If you live in florida and want a twins broadcast...pay for it. I understand that, sucks but i get it.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Because MLB sells access to internet radio broadcasts to consumers. They don't want their local broadcast affiliates giving it away for free
    Right, I was not reading your comment correctly. I have no issue with this....though it seems that if they can block me from seeing the game on tv by locating my IP, I should be able to hear free broadcasts for free on the Internet if I am in the home market....

Again, none of this changes until you start w/holding your money.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Right, I was not reading your comment correctly. I have no issue with this....though it seems that if they can block me from seeing the game on tv by locating my IP, I should be able to hear free broadcasts for free on the Internet if I am in the home market....

Again, none of this changes until you start w/holding your money.....
    Maybe MLB invested heavily in old school Sony Walkmans and are trying to drive up sales.

4. This user likes amjgt's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-07-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's really only one thing we can all be sure of. This is about money.

MLB either wants more of it or they're doing this at the request of those who already are paying for media rights and have threatened, or at least implied, that they will pay MLB less if they don't come down on podcasts and, one can assume eventually, blogs and other internet based media.

MLB is just about as tone-deaf an organization as you'll find when it comes to PR and building strong fan relations. They could hire Rutgers University's PR staff and it would be an improvement.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

6. This user likes SD Buhr's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (05-07-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Maybe MLB invested heavily in old school Sony Walkmans and are trying to drive up sales.
    My neighbor is redoing his basement.....they were cleaning it out and found the following that he mentioned so far:

can of peaches from the 1940s in the root cellar
    sony walkman cassette player
    boom box used to record his band's first song in the '90s....*

*it might have been early 2000s
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member MVP
    Again, what possible terms of use is a podcast violating that iTunes could justify pulling the podcasts? And, it is astounding MLB doesn't want people talking about their product.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Audio isn't "blacked out" anywhere online, it's just controlled everywhere by MLB. Gameday Audio is only $20/year.

Of course, you can usually find a few affiliates who didn't get the memo... or at least you used to. If they are cracking down on Gleeman & the Geek, they must have cracked down on those radio streams, right?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    I think MLB got to KFAN too... all I heard this morning on the Power Trip was Bonnes laughing in the background

11. This user likes amjgt's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

WLFINN (05-07-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
    Not that I like it, but I couldn't get on KFAN either

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Sounds like Selig needs a new pair of (retirement) shoes. It's almost worth it.

Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gleeman has tweeted "Stink successfully raised. Good job everyone". Here's a link with more info about MLB's policy and Apple's actions.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So MLB went overboard in their police action, ticked off a significant portion of their most deeply invested fans, and then backtracked and blamed it all on someone else.

Shocking.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

16. These 3 users like SD Buhr's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-07-2014), Paul Pleiss (05-07-2014), snepp (05-07-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 811 Times in 511 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If MLB really wanted to do this, they could have simply bought talk to contact, GATG, and a bunch of other pod costs and simply licensed it as MLB extra or something like that...

Besides, doesn't Gleeman work for NBC? Given that they do have those rights, this gets somewhat interesting.

18. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (05-07-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Nothing is for free as long as there is advertising. I don't want to pay for listening to the local radio service I can hear for free and may be in a scenario when my phone would work best to get it. That's what bugs me.

MLB Gameday audio might be only 20 bucks but if feels like an extra painful cost given the medium I'm using. It feels like I'm handing them 20 dollars and getting the middle finger for my efforts.

20. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

drunksam (05-11-2014), mike wants wins (05-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Nothing is for free as long as there is advertising. I don't want to pay for listening to the local radio service I can hear for free and may be in a scenario when my phone would work best to get it. That's what bugs me.

MLB Gameday audio might be only 20 bucks but if feels like an extra painful cost given the medium I'm using. It feels like I'm handing them 20 dollars and getting the middle finger for my efforts.
    I guess I am lucky that my phone has a built-in FM transmitter!

I understand the point of Gameday Audio -- baseball is certainly the most popular major sport on the radio, so there are more listeners (and more servers needed), and MLB doesn't want local affiliates to control game distribution online. Also, MLB can apply their own ads, branding, and tracking to the broadcasts through Gameday Audio (otherwise, the regional/local ads lose a lot of value in online broadcasts anyway). So they package it and sell it for a nominal fee.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Gleeman has tweeted "Stink successfully raised. Good job everyone". Here's a link with more info about MLB's policy and Apple's actions.
    Call me crazy, but I actually believe MLB's explanation here. I don't think even they would try to shut down fan podcasts, although they probably gave overly broad instructions to Apple about ferreting out copyrighted material in iTunes.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,586 Times in 824 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Call me crazy, but I actually believe MLB's explanation here. I don't think even they would try to shut down fan podcasts, although they probably gave overly broad instructions to Apple about ferreting out copyrighted material in iTunes.
    What did they expect iTunes staff to do? Negotiate with the podcasters to change their names to something more suitable?

Of course iTunes is just going to delete the podcasters. They're not MLB's lawyers.

24. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-07-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    I guess I am lucky that my phone has a built-in FM transmitter!

I understand the point of Gameday Audio -- baseball is certainly the most popular major sport on the radio, so there are more listeners (and more servers needed), and MLB doesn't want local affiliates to control game distribution online. Also, MLB can apply their own ads, branding, and tracking to the broadcasts through Gameday Audio (otherwise, the regional/local ads lose a lot of value in online broadcasts anyway). So they package it and sell it for a nominal fee.

If I subscribe to gameday audio, can I listen to Twins games? If not, then it doesn't work. If I can't get reception on free radio, and I can't listen on line, something is wrong. But, then, I've never checked because someone told me the Twins would be blacked out for me.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,586 Times in 824 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If I subscribe to gameday audio, can I listen to Twins games? If not, then it doesn't work. If I can't get reception on free radio, and I can't listen on line, something is wrong. But, then, I've never checked because someone told me the Twins would be blacked out for me.
    No radio blackouts... Those only apply to video.

Senior Member MVP
    Good to know....now I have to figure out if I'm giving them my money or not.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast