Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What up MLB?

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The new description for the Talk to Contact podcast will look something like this "We run a podcast that features discussion of professional baseball played by a team whose stadium has been paid for in large part by the people of Minnesota, and is played in a league for which there is no higher. We also discuss the minor league affiliates of said team, but in no way to we have an endorsement of or by said team or league." We're keeping it classy.

2. This user likes Paul Pleiss's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-11-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Probably a single overzealous person who woke up on the wrong side of the bed made a bad decision.

They realized that it was a bad decision and they reversed it. A simple declaimer that each of those podcast do not reflect the opinion of the MLB or the Minnesota Twins should probably be in order. Even the MLB.com hosted blogs have it...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    The new description for the Talk to Contact podcast will look something like this "We run a podcast that features discussion of professional baseball played by a team whose stadium has been paid for in large part by the people of Minnesota, and is played in a league for which there is no higher. We also discuss the minor league affiliates of said team, but in no way to we have an endorsement of or by said team or league." We're keeping it classy.
    Well done.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,296 Times in 522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Am I going to have to start inserting *Trademark* every time I say the word Twins in conversation?
    Yes.

alt 0153
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    I actually ran into this problem with itunes in the past as well for an app, you just have to take the words MLB/ Minnesota Twins out of the meta data...it sucks especially for the search in itunes but MLB/Minnesota Twins are indeed trademarked. It is annoying, but it is what it is, if they allowed everyone to use those terms in the metadata the searches would be a disaster to navigate.

However it is pretty damn annoying that they simply remove all of the podcasts from itunes completely, they easily could have just removed all references to MLB/Twins etc in the meta data, while allowing people who already know the podcast/search for the podcast to find it.
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 05-08-2014 at 11:30 AM.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The podcasts are back on iTunes. I made sure all Minnesota Twins references were taken out of Talk to Contact, and people searching for us should still be able to find us, just going to be harder to find us if they don't. I even added a disclaimer.

Not sure that using Minnesota Twins or MLB in meta data is trademark infringement, nor do I even really know what meta data is, but mentioning them shouldn't be a problem, if it was I would have expected a cease and desist order.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    The podcasts are back on iTunes. I made sure all Minnesota Twins references were taken out of Talk to Contact, and people searching for us should still be able to find us, just going to be harder to find us if they don't. I even added a disclaimer.

Not sure that using Minnesota Twins or MLB in meta data is trademark infringement, nor do I even really know what meta data is, but mentioning them shouldn't be a problem, if it was I would have expected a cease and desist order.
    Like those twin female pro-wrestlers?

Maybe you and Eric should invite them to your show to talk about that
    -----

9. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (05-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    You can talk about the Minnesota Twin study done by the University of Minnesota. It was the largest research project done on Twins

11. This user likes old nurse's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (05-11-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think MLB's issue was more with iTunes profiting from the Podcasts talking about baseball and MLB copyrighted material then their fans Podcasting about it. While MLB had to stop trying to force iTunes to license with MLB so their fans can keep podcasting but iTunes is basically stealing intellectual property by allowing fans to podcast and iTunes profits from it.

iTunes should just pony up and license and force advertising into the podcasts to help support the licensing fees.

If the issue is that fans are talking about MLB and MLB copyrighted material then fans should provide a bibliography to give them credit as podcasts are nothing more than a vocalized paper.

Those 2 things should solve all problems MLB has with podcasting if not shame on them.
    Last edited by Brandon; 05-10-2014 at 06:57 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    How does iTunes profit from podcasts?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Keith Olbermann defends Gleeman and the Geek

(Originally posted by Arron Gleeman.)

Tom Lasorda Is World's Worst Person In Sports - YouTube

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    How does iTunes profit from podcasts?
    I don't know exactly. but they are the gatekeepers of podcasting through iTunes (their company). I am not an expert on what all iTunes is or does but the issue MLB should have is with iTunes (if they are not licensed by MLB) and not the podcasters as iTunes stand to benefit from having more listeners or traffic through their product.

Since I am not in this field I can not get into specifics I do not know if other media outlets pay for access or licensing fees for using the MLB logo. I just don't know.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    To answer your question, iTunes doesn't make money from podcasts. It's a service provided by Apple to keep people using iTunes and getting their money through other iTunes services.

In short, Apple would probably get a good laugh if MLB asked for a slice of podcast revenue.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    To answer your question, iTunes doesn't make money from podcasts. It's a service provided by Apple to keep people using iTunes and getting their money through other iTunes services.

In short, Apple would probably get a good laugh if MLB asked for a slice of podcast revenue.
    That would be similar to a movie star asking for a slice of revenue from a paparazzi.

First amendment anyone?
    -----

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This whole story is bizarre to me. If anyone at MLB really did think it was a good idea to remove the podcasts, surely they anticipated there would be a backlash? But given how fast MLB caved in rather than attempt to weather the backlash, maybe it really was a misunderstanding with Apple--as hard as that is to swallow.

You should just describe it as, "An official Minnesota twins podcast." You and Eric are twins--and officially so--born in Minnesota (I assume?). Could be a fun court case.

Even moreso that they have no legal right to stop people from talking about their product, provided no copyrights or trademarks are being infringed upon.
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    First amendment anyone?
    It might be worth acknowledging that MLB does claim extremely sweeping copyright protection. As we hear in every broadcast,
    Quote Originally Posted by MLB legal boilerplate
    This copyrighted telecast is presented by authority of the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball. It may not be reproduced or retransmitted in any form, and the accounts and descriptions of this game may not be disseminated, without express written consent.
    (Emphasis mine)
    They certainly don't have a Constitutional leg to stand on there, but MLB does assert the legal right to anything you or I say about what happens during a baseball game.

Anyway, I'm glad all the podcasts are back.
    Last edited by Wookiee of the Year; 05-11-2014 at 12:35 PM.

19. This user likes Wookiee of the Year's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (05-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    There's no possible way the 1st Amendment could apply to these circumstances.

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MLB claims to own the descriptive rights to the games, but why would they want to stop anyone from talking about the teams, or the games (provided it's not a rebroadcast.) I fully support their wish to sell internet radio broadcasts or subscription TV broadcasts. But if you want people to buy such services, there needs to be reason to. Hype about teams is free advertising.

22. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (05-11-2014)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123