Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Post-game Roster Move(s)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Whatever roster moves are made, I liked the post game Dominican SS program. Interesting, these guys.

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    I don't for one minute believe Gardenhire isn't involved in these roster changes. This organization believes in consensus. There was nothing to indicate that a replacement of Darnell was needed--and certainly not by Guerrier. This harkens back to the policy of "bring the 'old-gang' back together". You might as well blame Bill Smith for this roster if you are holding Gardenhire blameless and a complete puppet in roster construction.
    Darnell pitched very well, but one of the relievers had to go down. It might as well be the guy with the most to benefit by being a starter. However, it shouldn't have been Guerrier to come up, it should gave been Parmelee.

Edit: I'm not certain Gruyere was Gardy's call, seems more like a trade bait move than building a flexible roster move. Right now Gardy is screwed and you could see it in his face on the presser.
    Last edited by Sconnie; 05-07-2014 at 10:55 PM.

3. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (05-08-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Darnell pitched very well, but one of the relievers had to go down. It might as well be the guy with the most to benefit by being a starter. However, it shouldn't have been Guerrier to come up, it should gave been Parmelee.

Edit: I'm not certain Gruyere was Gardy's call, seems more like a trade bait move than building a flexible roster move. Right now Gardy is screwed and you could see it in his face on the presser.
    Actually, they needed to send down 2 with Guerrier getting the call- but Gardy is holding sway with management for maintaining his 13 pitcher stance. The frustration I saw from Gardy leaves me guessing that Arcia was also going to be announced, but since he was scratched tonight, he may have had a setback. And the front office is apparently unwilling to expose another player to waivers to call up Parmelee, which tells you where he stands with both Gardy and management, as I'm pretty certain he'd be up if Gardy really wanted him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    The Triple A club is two hours away by car.
    Ummmm . . . the Redwings are in Rochester, NY not Rochester, MN. Maybe I missed some sarcasm or wit in this comment. That or you just didn't realize it, which I won't fault you. Prior to following minor leagues I thought the Redwings were in Rochester, MN as well.

. . . the more you know.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    Ummmm . . . the Redwings are in Rochester, NY not Rochester, MN. Maybe I missed some sarcasm or wit in this comment. That or you just didn't realize it, which I won't fault you. Prior to following minor leagues I thought the Redwings were in Rochester, MN as well.

. . . the more you know.
    the Wings are playing in Columbus, Ohio, 2 hours away from Cleveland.
    Last edited by USAFChief; 05-07-2014 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Edited by USAFChief

7. These 4 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (05-08-2014), h2oface (05-07-2014), mike wants wins (05-08-2014), twinsfan34 (05-08-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
    I didn't look back at game logs but Guerrier was doing really well in AA and I think he just had one really awful appearance in AAA which happens to a lot of pitchers. I don't have a problem bringing him up, he's a proven major league reliever, might come in handy. So I don't blame them for bringing him up. I don't think it's a bad idea to get Darnell back starting games again either. He's still a young guy, could be a starter, if they don't feel they have a spot for him currently, the best plan is to get him back to starting.

That said, I'd like to see some other moves to improve this roster and get back to 12 pitchers ASAP.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is fun to watch how bad this roster management is. I'm thinking after this is over, somebody should lose their job. Or at least, Antony should never become a GM.

They also better not DFA someone with potential. Just please DFA Raley, Wilson, or maybe Fryer. (actually I'd bet there's a 99% chance it won't be Fryer. They can't touch him, he's a catcher!)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins have called up Guerrier for his trade value, they haven't been following the market. Set up relievers have been getting little in return the last few years. The supply is too good. Every seller has some to trade.

The only other reason to call him up is because they believe he makes this year's team better. It will be at the cost of future teams if they don't invest innings in Tonkin as a result of this move.

Who is the next 30+ they add? Bernier?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    This is fun to watch how bad this roster management is. I'm thinking after this is over, somebody should lose their job. Or at least, Antony should never become a GM.

They also better not DFA someone with potential. Just please DFA Raley, Wilson, or maybe Fryer. (actually I'd bet there's a 99% chance it won't be Fryer. They can't touch him, he's a catcher!)
    Fryer is a benefit to the young pitchers in AAA. He certainly has a reputation of being an asset behind the plate. He would probably be picked up in spite of his low upside bat.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Who is the next 30+ they add? Bernier?
    I'm available, I can pitch, catch, and play outfield.

I'm also willing to fetch Gardy's slippers after the game.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

13. These 3 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-07-2014), mike wants wins (05-08-2014), USAFChief (05-08-2014)

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This activity pleases me to no end. I do believe that many of those that have been holding on to the current Management in place and campaigning for them to stay in place and lead the way into future have now finally been tipped to the other side. Welcome aboard!

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
    As an outsider to the front office, it is with no certainty that I try to describe what I think is going on, but here goes anyway:

All of this get the band back together stuff just smells of an organization that prides itself on being true to their word, even if it comes at the expense of their main job - managing the roster. It sure reads like when a player leaves on good terms after he has done whatever the organization asked of him, the parting statement from the front office must be something like,

"Well, we're sorry to see you go. If you ever want to come on back, the door is always open. You've proved yourself."

And they mean it. And they probably shake hands. And then, when the player comes back a few years later, the agent says,

"Is the door still open?"

And because the front office is true to their word, the door is open. So then the organization and agent start negotiating, with the agent saying,

"All we're asking for is a fair shake. He has been hurt the last ___ years, but now he's healthy. We'd love to come here, because this has always been home, but we have other deals on the table. But if you can promise my guy will make your team, we'll come here for less. Just remember, you said it yourself...my guy has proved himself."

Now parts or all of this might not be true, but it is good negotiating, because ultimately, the front office said the door would be open, and by gum, we meant it. And so, the front office says,

"Tell you what. If you'll sign for (totally reasonable and agreeable sum of money), and if he is healthy, he'll be on our roster. He has proved himself."

And they mean it. And they probably shake hands. And because the front office is true to their word, the ex-Twin who left on good terms and has proved themselves and who signs for a totally reasonable sum of money ends up on the roster for two reasons:

1) He is healthy, and
    2) The front office is true to their word.

I respect the hell out of principled people who are true to their word. It is dreadfully lacking in our world today. I don't want the front office to quit being true to their word. I just want them to use less words.

Reminder: I have no idea how the front office truly works and how deals are done. This is just my interpretation, for my enjoyment and hopefully yours.

16. These 2 users like scottz's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mr. Brooks (05-08-2014), Reider (05-08-2014)

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    I'm available, I can pitch, catch, and play outfield.

I'm also willing to fetch Gardy's slippers after the game.
    All well and good, but how fast can you detail a Lexus?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Are we really rebuilding??? Bartlett, Guerrier and bringing back Pelfry for a two year encore.
    This Organization is ripe with sentimental idiocy.
    Last edited by Highabove; 05-08-2014 at 12:40 AM.

19. These 2 users like Highabove's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-08-2014), mike wants wins (05-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 197 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LewFordLives View Post
    I'm sorry, I've always been one that's patient with moves by the front office. I always tell myself they must know something we don't. They get paid to think this all through...etc... But over the last year I've become convinced they don't have the slightest clue what they're doing.

We lost a game tonight because we had a shortstop in left field. We could have gotten back in the game yesterday had there been someone to pinch hit for Hermann in the 7th. Pelfrey???? Bartlett????? and now Matt Guerrier????? What role could Guerrier possibly play on this team? I liked him back in the day, and I'm sure he's a good guy, but he has done nothing to earn a spot on the 40-man. We need bats right now and their move is to clear a space on the 40-man for Matt Guerrier? This is embarassing.

This is pretty much where I'm at too, and I'm usually pretty patient as well. I feel pretty bad for Escobar, because if he makes that catch, we're in extras. He knows it too, I'm sure. But by being stuck in left field with no experience, he was set up to fail. Who knows how Guerrier fits into this team and how it will set the team up to fail in a future game?

21. This user likes 70charger's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-08-2014)

Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    Are we really rebuilding??? Bartlett, Guerrier and bringing back Pelfry for a two year encore.
    This Organization is ripe with sentimental idiocy.
    Moderator note -- we are being lenient in moderating this thread, because this roster move seems like a terrible idea and people are understandably upset. However, it violates TD policy to characterize anyone as an idiot. Please keep the focus of your posts on all of the reasons why this is (or is not) a good roster move.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Jeremy, there's been some pushback disputing an option remaining for Florimon. Have you double-checked your sources on his status in that regard? It seems like sending him down is the obvious move if that option is still an option.
    I have an email out. I'm not sure how he can be out by simply looking at past transactions, but at this point, his inclusion on this team - if he could be sent down - is inexplicable.

24. This user likes Jeremy Nygaard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-08-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    This is pretty much where I'm at too, and I'm usually pretty patient as well. I feel pretty bad for Escobar, because if he makes that catch, we're in extras. He knows it too, I'm sure.

But by being stuck in left
    field with no experience, he was set up to fail.

Who knows how Guerrier fits into this team and how it will set the team up to fail in a future game?
    To be fair, Gardy had never seen such a scenario play out like this before in his entire 34 year career in baseball....oh wait....

26. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    If Arcia had a setback, it seems to me that the obvious move would be to make whatever roster move they need to on the 40-man to add Guerrier (probably 60-day DL Willingham) in order to add Parmelee. Guerrier becomes a free agent, NBD.

With all the roster issues this team has, more relievers is not at the top of the list. I'm trying to find a justification for the Guerrier move that doesn't include the word "nepotism".

28. This user likes Boom Boom's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (05-08-2014)

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've never been one to gripe (loudly) about roster moves and manipulation as I've always felt that the front office has 10 times the information on a given player or situation than I could ever get my hands on. When it doubt, defer to folks with inside info.

That being said, I'm struggling to see the logic here. Guerrier can opt out? So what!? The bullpen is one of the few areas where the Twins are DEEP - making a move to keep a 35 year old reliever seems...foolish. Furthermore, leaving the 25 man roster with 13 pitchers - after the starters have turned in quality starts 4 of the last 5 games is inexplicable.

The bench is two players deep, and one of those options is a catcher / OF hybrid who is currently failing to bat his weight. The Twins lost a game last night because they're playing infielders in corner outfield spots - and NOTHING is being done on the roster front to address that? I'm stunned.

Even if Arcia had a setback and the plan was going to be to call him up - at this point I think you should have a plan B (or C,D,E - I'm not sure which plan we're on by now). Waiting things out like this is unacceptable.

30. These 4 users like iTwins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-08-2014), LewFordLives (05-08-2014), Mr. Brooks (05-08-2014), Tibs (05-08-2014)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast