Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Samardzija

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    The key for the Twins, though, is how good is the class for guys that want no more than 4 years, and less than $60MM......having elite SP available doesn't really help them.
    Lighten up Francis....

2. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

halfchest (05-08-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    The key for the Twins, though, is how good is the class for guys that want no more than 4 years, and less than $60MM......having elite SP available doesn't really help them.
    I hate how right you are here. Although we keep trending towards spending a bit more so we can always hope. I kinda feel Shields might be our best bet. Due to his age I dont' think anyone gives him a 7 year deal but I could totally see him getting 20-25 over 4 years. It's a risk but I would be ok with it.

Senior Member MVP
    I hope I'm wrong about that.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    The Cubs are in the same rebuild situation the Twins are in and similarly lack starting pitching. If they don't have interest in extending Samardzija, it should probably throw up a red flag that the Twins also should not.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    Ubaldo, Ervin, Garza, and Nolasco were the top guys this year. Next year the top guys at this point are Sherzer, Masterson, Shields and Lester, oh and Ervin. I guess we can argue about the lower tier guys being better or not and I don't have a strong opinion on them but there's no doubt just looking at top 4 that this years is better. If you include Tanaka I suppose they get closer but still I'll take Scherzer, Masterson, Shields, Lester, and Ervin over Tanaka, Ubaldo, Garza, Ervin, Nolasco 10 out of 10 times.
    Of course you have to include Tanaka and it's gets pretty close to even if just 2 of those guys sign extensions. Every year people talk about how much talent there will be available in FA in 1-2 years and then guys sign extensions.

And Tanaka is the perfect example about why you can't just wait for FA. The top guys get paid and Tanaka got 175M. Scherzer is getting crazy money and I think Lester resigns. Now the Twins are down to Masterson, Shields and a guy that a significant portion of this forum didn't think was worth a 2nd rd pick. Meanwhile almost every team needs pitching and will chasing these guys also.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,593 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's a wild idea. Instead of giving up prospects to trade for and sign a guy who wants Bailey money, go sign Homer Bailey.

8. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (05-08-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Here's a wild idea. Instead of giving up prospects to trade for and sign a guy who wants Bailey money, go sign Homer Bailey.
    Looking forward to the day they spend on elite* talent from outside the org.

*not saying Bailey is elite or not
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,593 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Looking forward to the day they spend on elite* talent from outside the org.

*not saying Bailey is elite or not
    My point isn't that they should sign Homer Bailey, it's that giving up elite prospects for a guy who you're going to turn around and sign for Bailey money is the kind of move that should get a general manager fired.

Under no circumstances is Jeff Samardzija - Kohl Stewart - $100m > Homer Bailey - $100m.

Senior Member MVP
    I agree with your point. I guess I didn't make that clear.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    I'm pretty sure Bailey signed an extension with the Reds . . . otherwise I would agree with the plan to go sign Bailey. As Kab21 said too, decent chance one or two of these guys get extended prior to free agency. The longer those teams wait though the better chance we see more of them hit free agency.

I wouldn't even advocate for going after one of them if not for the fact thatwe have the money to spare and none of our big time guys is going to get expensive anytime soon. Most of our big time guys are still in the minors. Dozier is about the only guy currently on this team that could start costing us more soon. Even he won't get crazy expensive.

I think most of us agree thought that it's not the right time, nor is he the right player to go after at this time.

Now, next year . . . David Price anyone? Let's say he stays with Tampa all year. He's awesome and only has one year left of control. Would he be attainable for Kohl Stewart + Eddie Rosario in a year? THis is assuming Stewart has a big year and Rosario comes back strong. Would the Twins even do that? It would obviously have to be like the Santana trade where he gets a huge extension as well.

Depending on how things shake out the rest of this year, the Twins very well could be in a position to make a huge move like that this offseason. Any other top of the rotation types that may be on the trade block soon?

Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Of course you have to include Tanaka and it's gets pretty close to even if just 2 of those guys sign extensions. Every year people talk about how much talent there will be available in FA in 1-2 years and then guys sign extensions.

And Tanaka is the perfect example about why you can't just wait for FA. The top guys get paid and Tanaka got 175M. Scherzer is getting crazy money and I think Lester resigns. Now the Twins are down to Masterson, Shields and a guy that a significant portion of this forum didn't think was worth a 2nd rd pick. Meanwhile almost every team needs pitching and will chasing these guys also.
    Talks between Lester and BoSox have been tabled for the year according to multiple sources. And Scherzer won't get more or less than any other Cy Young caliber #1. You also have trade possibilities for David Price. So there is definitely some very nice starting pitching to bid on this off season. But the chances of any of them coming here has to be incredibly slim I would think?

And Bailey did sign an extension. 6/100, or something in that ballpark.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    You don't give up a future ace and a top prospect, just to pay a guy what he will make in free agency.
    And a Bailey like deal is way too much for this guy. Sure he is having a good year so far, in 50 IP. But his FIP of 3.06 is much worse than his 1.60 ERA. Over 608 IP, he has a 3.98 ERA and a 1.33 WHIP.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    You don't give up a future ace and a top prospect, just to pay a guy what he will make in free agency.
    And a Bailey like deal is way too much for this guy (and was too much for Bailey too). Sure he is having a good year so far, in 50 IP. But his FIP of 3.06 is much worse than his 1.60 ERA. Over 608 IP, he has a 3.98 ERA and a 1.33 WHIP.

Someone is going to get ripped off here, let's let someone else by all means.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 05-08-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    Now, next year . . . David Price anyone? Let's say he stays with Tampa all year. He's awesome and only has one year left of control. Would he be attainable for Kohl Stewart + Eddie Rosario in a year? THis is assuming Stewart has a big year and Rosario comes back strong. Would the Twins even do that? It would obviously have to be like the Santana trade where he gets a huge extension as well.

Depending on how things shake out the rest of this year, the Twins very well could be in a position to make a huge move like that this offseason. Any other top of the rotation types that may be on the trade block soon?
    I doubt the Rays would even consider any offer from us for Price that doesn't involve one of Sano, Buxton or Meyer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    I doubt the Rays would even consider any offer from us for Price that doesn't involve one of Sano, Buxton or Meyer.
    Personally, I see Kohl sliding right into the #30 prospect overall after this year. Right where Meyer is. But I never like giving up cost controlled studs for someone who will make $25M a year and is 30.

You may get Kohl for 14-15 years and it will cost you $150M. Or Price in his declining years 29-35 for $180M (you get the point).

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    Certainly possible, but we also have to remember he's a 19 year old kid in A ball. It will be years before he plays in the majors, if ever.

IF our team is actually planning to be active in free agency and IF guys like Meyer and Buxton are performing well, and IF we knew we could sign an extension with Price, I'd definitely be about trading Stewart/Rosario for Price. There are a lot of other factors I'd have to consider beyond those though, so it's not exactly an easy question, especially since thats not the type of trade we're going to make in the middle of this season. A lot could change by the offseason.

In regards to Shark, I'd love to have him on our team, but I wouldn't sacrifice top prospects and I certainly wouldn't bother if Rick Anderson is still our pitching coach.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    The Twins? 6 years on a pitcher?......c'mon!

21. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-08-2014)

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If were Rob Antony/TR I would wait for Sam-wise Gamgez to be a free agent and bid, and I'd do the 6/100. If I were GM of a team who was a World Series contender with a pitcher injury, then I'd trade for Jeff Samsomething, but I wouldn't give up too much for a half season rental.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    2015:
    Samardzija
    Meyer
    Nolasco
    Hughes
    Gibson

Let's play ball.
    Substitute "Meyer" for "Samardzija" and I think that this will be the 2015 rotation depending on health. Meyer likely will be better than Samardzjia anyways
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast