Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Article: Roster Shuffle: Twins Add Guerrier, What's Next?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Yes, Wilson, and no, no quarrel with the glove. I failed to find a way to state that "center field" involves coming to bat against major league pitchers.
    Ah, gotcha. Yeah, he's not anywhere near being ready to face MLB pitching right now.

But while we're on the topic of mislabels... Hey, Chris Herrmann is listed as an OF on the 40 man.

Really?

2. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (05-09-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess I'll go on to say that there are 2 kinds of players who should be added to a 40-man roster only with a lot of thought beforehand: 1) young guys who are not ready to contribute at the major league level if called on, and 2) marginal guys who are out of options. The Twins 40-man is cluttered with these, and this is where the problem right now lies.

4. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-09-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    They keep trading for/claiming marginal guys that need to be on the 40, that they apparently don't ever plan to add to the 25. It is an odd strategy, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    They keep trading for/claiming marginal guys that need to be on the 40, that they apparently don't ever plan to add to the 25. It is an odd strategy, imo.
    Indeed. If they can get Wilson through waivers, it's a pretty good move. He has a chance to become a role player down the road.

If he doesn't clear waivers, their run of confusing moves continues to confuse.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    @RhettBollinger: Josh Willingham is scheduled to take batting practice on the field tomorrow for first time since wrist injury. #MNTwins

Rich beyond the dreams of avarice...
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

8. These 3 users like crarko's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (05-09-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (05-09-2014), mike wants wins (05-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 493 Times in 288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Well, as of yesterday they had three of their Opening Day outfielders on the DL. That's pretty significant.

It's something they should have been able to overcome by scraping together a make-shift lineup for two days but it's still significant.
    Derp* forgot about Willingham when I typed my comment.

I will be lobbying for a Kubel/Willingham platoon when he returns so in my little thought world Willingham is not a key contributor anyway.

10. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-09-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    I will be lobbying for a Kubel/Willingham platoon when he returns so in my little thought world Willingham is not a key contributor anyway.
    I never expected much from Willingham this season but it'd still be nice to have him, particularly in a platoon role with Kubel.

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kblack1011 View Post
    Why does everyone give Ryan a pass and blame everyone else in the front office. Wasn't the lack of center fielder a problem last year and Ryan was around the whole year. As far as Gardy's having influence, wasn't it Ryan who brought him back after 3 years of 90 losses.

It's good to see we dropped another CF prospect for the 40 man roster for another player who can't move and we'll put him in the outfield. At least the FO is consistent.
    Ryan is receiving cancer treatment and I'm sure has some pretty big fish to fry. I'm willing to cut TR some slack for decisions made while he is out, even if he was a part of making them. We don't know TR's involvement, but I'm sure it's not a large amount.

Rob Antony on the other hand was at the helm for final roster cuts, and is currently "managing" the 40 man roster. As such, I choose to rail on Antony.

If you want to call TR on not signing a CF in the offseason, even if he had done so, that wouldn't stop Antony from DFAing him. Just ask Wilson about it.

Edit: Also, Gardy is not the GM, he's the bench manager. We can debate on whether or not he should be in a different thread. Gardy should not be making the 40/25 man roster moves and TR apparently did not let him, to the same extent RA appears to.
    Last edited by Sconnie; 05-09-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Indeed. If they can get Wilson through waivers, it's a pretty good move. He has a chance to become a role player down the road.

If he doesn't clear waivers, their run of confusing moves continues to confuse.
    I guess I would have waited for Fuld to come back before DFAing Wilson. I don't think he had any business on the 25, but as we all know emergencies happen.

There are several other players on the 40 who also have no business on the 25 who are in positions that aren't so critically thin, such as relief pitcher, who could have made room for Parms.

i do agree, Wilson needed to be DFA'd. The timing is just odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Ryan is receiving cancer treatment and I'm sure has some pretty big fish to fry. I'm willing to cut TR some slack for decisions made while he is out, even if he was a part of making them. We don't know TR's involvement, but I'm sure it's not a large amount.

Rob Antony on the other hand was at the helm for final roster cuts, and is currently "managing" the 40 man roster. As such, I choose to rail on Antony.

If you want to call TR on not signing a CF in the offseason, even if he had done so, that wouldn't stop Antony from DFAing him. Just ask Wilson about it.
    Again, this doesn't explain the mess Ryan was in charge of last year with the roster. And isn't Smith and Anthony guys Ryan put or recommended for their position?

I'm sure he has more important thing on his mind now, but if you want to look at the problem in the organization, it's really hard to not also look at how Ryan has performed over last few years. Looks like the magic is gone, how long to you want to hold on to what happen 10 years ago? I forgot, that's how we are building our roster this year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kblack1011 View Post
    Again, this doesn't explain the mess Ryan was in charge of last year with the roster. And isn't Smith and Anthony guys Ryan put or recommended for their position?

I'm sure he has more important thing on his mind now, but if you want to look at the problem in the organization, it's really hard to not also look at how Ryan has performed over last few years. Looks like the magic is gone, how long to you want to hold on to what happen 10 years ago? I forgot, that's how we are building our roster this year.
    Very good point, I could not agree more. This to me points more at the Pohlads and their ability to succession plan. TR shouldn't be hiring his replacement, Jim Pohlad does that, and maybe did.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011