Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Roster Shuffle: Twins Add Guerrier, What's Next?

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arcia and Hicks to come up?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,593 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I guess this is what's next:

Sounds like somebody set off a logic bomb in the front office.

3. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-08-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Hicks and Arcia, then? Though I thought Arcia's wrist was still bumming.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Deduno was the Twins' best pitcher when healthy last season. He deserves the first shot at an open spot in the rotation.
    If you count winning percentage and EEA he was. With every other measure he wasn't.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    I could not agree more. Who goes into a season with 1 CF in Triple A and 1 CF in MLB and not one 4th outfielder between the two?

Exactly. Hicks is struggling to hit ML pitching. Who could have possibly seen that coming??? So their backup plan was Jason Bartlett?? And their AAA plan was Mastroianni? That's not a good plan.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    If you count winning percentage and EEA he was. With every other measure he wasn't.
    ERA+, K/9. He pitched about half a season and was the only above average (barely, at that) starter for the Twins in 2013. Correia was the only other guy that had a positive bWAR and despite pitching 185 innings to Deduno's 108, only edged him by .1 bWAR (1.6 to 1.5).

Deduno was clearly the best starter on the team when he was healthy, as sad as that is to say.

8. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-08-2014)

I think everyone's complaining about the front office handling of the outfield situation when it is not their fault. Look, the Twins have lost their ENTIRE starting outfield plus their 4th outfielder to the DL. All 4 outfielders are on the DL. I don't know of any situation like this ever happening before to this team or any other team. The opening day starting roster usually only has 4 outfielders on the roster. Kubel was pegged as the DH and Collabello was the backup first baseman/bench bat. No team plans to lose all of their outfielders to the DL at the same time, no one.

Another issue this team is dealing with is using the back up catcher as the DH. Most other teams do not do this. The DH position on most teams is filled by an extra outfielder or corner baseman so they have additional players that can also play the field. Neither Pinto nor Suzuki play any position other than catcher. While they have both been batting well, the team is handicapped by their inability to fill in at another position. Hermann was called up as an outfielder and has played there to fill in for one of the 4 DL'd outfielders and should not be counted as a catcher.

Thirteen pitchers. With the way the starting pitching has been over the last few years, the Twins have needed that extra relief pitcher. If and when the starters can consistently pitch into the 6th and 7th innings, the Twins will no longer need that extra pitcher to finish out a game.

As far as who is making the front office calls, the GM or Assistant GM, if you don't think they have consulted each other over possible moves you probably have never worked in a corporate job. Sure, Antony may be making the daily calls, but if he makes a call it has probably already been discussed and approved by Ryan. Antony has probably been given an outline and guidance on what he can or cannot do, who he can or cannot move. I would have to guess most organizations probably have short and long term organizational plans.

10. This user likes DuluthFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

WLFINN (05-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 333 Times in 163 Posts
    Well we have worked our way into the basement of the Central. Last year on May 8 we were 15-15 this year 15-18 not a lot of progress.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

12. This user likes Winston Smith's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-08-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    ERA+, K/9. He pitched about half a season and was the only above average (barely, at that) starter for the Twins in 2013. Correia was the only other guy that had a positive bWAR and despite pitching 185 innings to Deduno's 108, only edged him by .1 bWAR (1.6 to 1.5).

Deduno was clearly the best starter on the team when he was healthy, as sad as that is to say.
    ERA + is ERA. K/9 Pelfrey was better. And better is subjective. Objective measures say that others were better
    Last edited by Thrylos; 05-08-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DuluthFan View Post
    I think everyone's complaining about the front office handling of the outfield situation when it is not their fault. Look, the Twins have lost their ENTIRE starting outfield plus their 4th outfielder to the DL. All 4 outfielders are on the DL. I don't know of any situation like this ever happening before to this team or any other team. The opening day starting roster usually only has 4 outfielders on the roster. Kubel was pegged as the DH and Collabello was the backup first baseman/bench bat. No team plans to lose all of their outfielders to the DL at the same time, no one.
    As much as I love to question the front office you make a good point. At what point before the season did the organization ask...what if all 4 OF go on the DL, and Mauer is hurting causing Bello to play 1B? What are we going to do then?? Yes, today's lineup was a cluster, but it was just patchwork in 1 day game in Cleveland in early May of a long season. If we were in mid-July and still having this kind of roster, I might be more concerned.

15. This user likes SwainZag's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

WLFINN (05-08-2014)

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Well we have worked our way into the basement of the Central. Last year on May 8 we were 15-15 this year 15-18 not a lot of progress.
    That, to me, is the most depressing thing of all this. As of like a week ago there was still some positive vibes around here and surrounding the team. Now it appears this ship is sinking in a hurry and people are scrambling for their life vests.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    ERA + is ERA. K/9 Pelfrey was better.
    Ah, Pelrey did edge him out.

Anyway, Deduno was easily better than Pelfrey, Worley, Hendriks, and the rest of the junk they rolled out in 2013.

The only guy who had similar win value was Correia and it took him 80 more innings to basically equal Deduno.

Therefore, Deduno was the best pitcher. Basically tied Correia for win value but did it in 60% of the innings.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 666 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief_Roberts View Post
    Guys, don't worry Joe Mauer's move to first base will allow him to stay healthy and with him able to play every day his power numbers should improve.
    My god this is a great post. This needs to be quoted multiple times more so everyone who declared "Mauer will be even better in 2014!) can chew on reality a bit here. Those were such pipedreams at the time and here is reality again to remind us of that.

19. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mr. Brooks (05-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by AScheib50 View Post
    That, to me, is the most depressing thing of all this. As of like a week ago there was still some positive vibes around here and surrounding the team. Now it appears this ship is sinking in a hurry and people are scrambling for their life vests.
    I honestly don't know what people expected out of this team. The rainouts at the end of the month really did something to hitting. 3-7 in 10 games since then averaging just over 3 runs per game and only scoring 5 or more twice. This 4 game set alone they went 1-3 scoring just 10 runs.

I don't think it's depressing they are in last place with a 15-18 record right now. After that 15-15 start last year they proceeded to go 51-81. Way too early to be calling anything "a sinking ship."

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts

Another issue this team is dealing with is using the back up catcher as the DH. Most other teams do not do this. The DH position on most teams is filled by an extra outfielder or corner baseman so they have additional players that can also play the field. Neither Pinto nor Suzuki play any position other than catcher. While they have both been batting well, the team is handicapped by their inability to fill in at another position. Hermann was called up as an outfielder and has played there to fill in for one of the 4 DL'd outfielders and should not be counted as a catcher.

Thirteen pitchers. With the way the starting pitching has been over the last few years, the Twins have needed that extra relief pitcher. If and when the starters can consistently pitch into the 6th and 7th innings, the Twins will no longer need that extra pitcher to finish out a game.

As far as who is making the front office calls, the GM or Assistant GM, if you don't think they have consulted each other over possible moves you probably have never worked in a corporate job. Sure, Antony may be making the daily calls, but if he makes a call it has probably already been discussed and approved by Ryan. Antony has probably been given an outline and guidance on what he can or cannot do, who he can or cannot move. I would have to guess most organizations probably have short and long term organizational plans.
    Be careful; people have been burned as witches for less heresy than this.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

22. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TRex (05-09-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

I'll give them some slack. Having this many injuries compounds the situation but they still could have done a much better job. Kubel & Colabello slotted into the corner outfield spots for Arcia & Willingham so that worked out ok.

At the start of the season Hicks was the only CF on the roster, unless you count a 34yr old infielder (Bartlett). The only other CF @ AAA was Mastroianni, who they managed to lose acquiring another AAAA CF (Fuld).

At the least, they should have kept Alex Presley instead of Bartlett. Or they could have went after someone like Bonifacio. The fact that Hicks is struggling shouldn't have come as a big surprise. What was their plan if/when that happened?

24. These 2 users like golfboy1's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-08-2014), stringer bell (05-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 328 Times in 206 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I get the Hicks/Fuld bad luck this week, but the other two of those starting outfielders (Arcia and Willingham) went out with injury over a month ago, and have yet to be replaced with an actual outfielder.

26. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-08-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's not their fault that all 4 OF's are on the DL at the same time.

It is their fault that they went with Bartlett and 3 catchers and 3 shortstops that they were stuck starting Escobar in the OF with no OF on the bench and Parmelee a phone call away -- a phone call that was not made.

28. These 4 users like Lonestar's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

adjacent (05-08-2014), JB_Iowa (05-08-2014), mike wants wins (05-08-2014), TheLeviathan (05-08-2014)

Parmelee is not on the 40 man roster. A corresponding move would have to be made. I'd prefer to see him hit in AAA for another month to prove what he is doing now is legit anyway.

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teekz View Post
    Parmelee is not on the 40 man roster. A corresponding move would have to be made. I'd prefer to see him hit in AAA for another month to prove what he is doing now is legit anyway.
    Guerrier wasn't on the 40 man either. The spot they opened for Guerrier could have been used on Parmelee. What possible pressing need was there to vet Guerrier up?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

31. These 2 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

adjacent (05-08-2014), mike wants wins (05-08-2014)

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast