Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/7): Top Pitching Prospects Dominate

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/7): Top Pitching Prospects Dominate

Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/7): Top Pitching Prospects Dominate

Oops! fixed!
    Last edited by Steve Lein; 05-08-2014 at 08:58 AM.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Duplicate post deleted. My bad (SDB)
    Last edited by SD Buhr; 05-08-2014 at 08:34 AM.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    "Twins Daily Minor League Pitcher of the Day – Jose Berrios, Cedar Rapids Kernels"

I'd love to have Berrios back in Cedar Rapids this year, but unfortunately, he's in Fort Myers.

Also, just thought I'd mention that Logan Wade, the Kernels infielder from Australia, dislocated his shoulder last night diving for a ball hit up the middle. Jake Mauer said after the game that they couldn't pop it back in to place and had to put him under. Nothing broken, from the x-ray, but he'll see a doctor in CR today and probably get an MRI.

Kernels have really been bitten by the injury bug. Assuming Wade goes on the DL (which I think is a pretty safe bet), I think that's six guys already on the DL in the first six weeks of the season.

MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Was expecting more and better from reading the headline. May getting beat up a bit, Berrios wildly effective and 5 innings with 5 hits and two walks did not live up to the dominating billing.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    Was expecting more and better from reading the headline. May getting beat up a bit, Berrios wildly effective and 5 innings with 5 hits and two walks did not live up to the dominating billing.
    Stewart was pretty lights out though.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    Kohl Stewart (19 years old) – Low A 25.2 IP, 2.35 ERA, .78 WHIP, 23 K

Mark Appel (22 year old) - High A, 13 IP, 6.23 ERA, 1.61 WHIP, 13 K

Jon Gray (22 years old) - Double A ,29.2 IP, 3.64 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 32 K

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Stewart's stuff is too much for low A players. Kind of like Delmon Young's* natural talent was too much for low A pitchers. It's things like this that make me want to move natural talents faster, rather than slower. Challenge them. I would hope Stewart moves up by June or so.

*I am NOT comparing their careers......but how their talent is too much for low A
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Stewart's stuff is too much for low A players. Kind of like Delmon Young's* natural talent was too much for low A pitchers. It's things like this that make me want to move natural talents faster, rather than slower. Challenge them. I would hope Stewart moves up by June or so.

*I am NOT comparing their careers......but how their talent is too much for low A
    But Young was moved too quickly, he relied on his natural talents, but didn't develop better skills, like approach, keeping in shape during the season, or learning about this thing called taking a walk.

Stewart might even be able to blow away high A batter if he uses just two pitches, but the Twins are trying to develop an ace, and having a 4-5 MLB ready pitches to do it, now is the time for Stewart to learn how to pitch and not just throw. I'm fine keeping him in low A all year if he keeps progressing towards that goal.
    Last edited by maxisagod; 05-08-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    0 runs allowed in 10 innings with only 6 hits allowed and 13K's between them is okay for that billing on those guys for me (I don't include May in this category). They are both 19 years old playing in full season leagues. Sure, I'd like to see less walks, but did any of them score? No, and that's because they were dominant enough to shut down any of their own mistakes.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    Stewart might even be able to blow away high A batter if he uses just two pitches, but the Twins are trying to develop an ace, and having a 4-5 MLB ready pitches to do it, now is the time for Stewart to learn how to pitch and not just throw. I'm fine keeping him in low A all year if he keeps progressing towards that goal.
    Reports I've read on Stewart about his first few starts mentioned that he didn't throw a single slider, which means his best pitch has been left out of the equation so far, as well. Though I can't say if that has still been the case as it's warmed up a bit now.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    But Young was moved too quickly, he relied on his natural talents, but didn't develop better skills, like approach, keeping in shape during the season, or learning about this thing called taking a walk.

Agreed, they should help him learn to pitch. My point is, he can do that at high A (middle of this year) and be more challenged.
    Lighten up Francis....

13. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

maxisagod (05-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think that speaks more to how un-coachable Delmon was. We had him from 22 to 26 or so and he was still un-coachable. So keeping him in lower levels and trying to change his approach at 19 or 20 was probably not going to work. He knew it all and that is why he is on track to be a hall of famer and not a bust.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    He was the 5 innings, 5 outs and 2 walks I was referring to. Nice outing but not how I describe lights out or dominating.

Senior Member Triple-A
    " 0 runs allowed in 10 innings with only 6 hits allowed and 13K's between them is okay for that billing on those guys for me" I wasn't knocking them but don't really consider 12 base runners in 10 innings to be dominant. Effectively erratic or maybe erratically effective would have been the best descriptions because yes, to their credit, they didn't let any score..

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    " 0 runs allowed in 10 innings with only 6 hits allowed and 13K's between them is okay for that billing on those guys for me" I wasn't knocking them but don't really consider 12 base runners in 10 innings to be dominant. Effectively erratic or maybe erratically effective would have been the best descriptions because yes, to their credit, they didn't let any score..
    And that's fair. I suppose it is not the best wording, but I did need a headline...

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    Reports I've read on Stewart about his first few starts mentioned that he didn't throw a single slider, which means his best pitch has been left out of the equation so far, as well. Though I can't say if that has still been the case as it's warmed up a bit now.
    I just opened a new thread with a video of Stewart from last night. Not great video, but it's out there for your viewing pleasure.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    And that's fair. I suppose it is not the best wording, but I did need a headline...
    "...dominat...esque?"
    "...dominat...ey?"
    "...dominat....ish?"

20. This user likes AM.'s post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Steve Lein (05-09-2014)