Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Twins Option Florimon, Herrmann

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    No Arcia in the 'Wings line-up tonight. Motown bound?

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Just a little humor:

Really? You've been benched, there are two other SS on the roster, and you have terrible numbers and you're surprised about being demoted?

3. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-08-2014)

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iTwins View Post
    I wonder if Danny Santana's last couple of games were enough to keep him on the roster and cost Florimon his spot? Earlier in the week it seemed like a forgone conclusion that Santana was gone once the team needed to make a move.

I'm glad Santana is still here - he's a blast to watch - that kid is FAST!
    I think it was more Escobar's competence and Nunez's health. Santana will get to play a lot until the bench comes back together, but he'll be sent down to AAA for more seasoning. He's too valuable to the future to risk, and not yet ready for the bigs, despite SSS good hitting and fielding.

i too am glad he's still up. I hope he can continue to make his case that the future begins now, and he IS ready.

5. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (05-08-2014)

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Anyone wish to revisit their vigorous defense of not signing a SS this past winter?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

7. These 2 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (05-08-2014), whydidnt (05-08-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    I think it was more Escobar's competence and Nunez's health. Santana will get to play a lot until the bench comes back together, but he'll be sent down to AAA for more seasoning. He's too valuable to the future to risk, and not yet ready for the bigs, despite SSS good hitting and fielding.

i too am glad he's still up. I hope he can continue to make his case that the future begins now, and he IS ready.
    In the parts of the game I watched today, he doesn't look like he is ready defensively. However, he has some exciting tools and I enjoy watching him.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,603 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Anyone wish to revisit their vigorous defense of not signing a SS this past winter?
    Shortstop is fine. They have five of them on the roster.

Six if you count Guerrier.

10. These 6 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-08-2014), mike wants wins (05-08-2014), Reider (05-09-2014), Sconnie (05-08-2014), Siehbiscuit (05-09-2014), snepp (05-09-2014)

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Shortstop is fine. They have five of them on the roster.

Six if you count Guerrier.
    I heard that he was taking grounders at short. Oh, and he's also an outfielder, too. He played it in high school.

Please tell me you knew I was kidding.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 288 Times in 146 Posts
    I wasn't vigorous about it, but I"ll say that I continue to be happy that Drew or whoever the other option was aren't part of the Twins.

13. This user likes Beezer07's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (05-09-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Does someone have to be put on the AAA roster in place of Raley?
    And Guerrier. They have 22 active players on their roster (with Arcia not counting and Kevin Thomas on the DL.) Florimon and Herrmann will take care of those 2 spots and if Arcia and Hicks take their positions, it all evens out to 24 in Rochester as well...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    I wasn't vigorous about it, but I"ll say that I continue to be happy that Drew or whoever the other option was aren't part of the Twins.

Honesty...

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    If Arcia isn't ready to go, then put Willingham on the 60-day DL. Add Parms to the 40 man and bring him up for whichever pitcher they want to send down, probably Tonkin would be their choice. He's better at first or right than Colabello, and gives him a month to get another look. If he fails again, you DFA him and it's no big deal.

Blog Entries
    Even if I were a devout atheist, and also a front office employee, I would still get down on my knees and thank my sweet Lord Jesus that the NFL draft starts tonight. That and the Wild clinging to life in the playoffs should blunt the savaging that they are due from the local sports media.

Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Even if I were a devout atheist, and also a front office employee, I would still get down on my knees and thank my sweet Lord Jesus that the NFL draft starts tonight. That and the Wild clinging to life in the playoffs should blunt the savaging that they are due from the local sports media.
    Sadly, I think the local media put the Twins on page two weeks ago. And that's not a good thing.

19. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-08-2014)

Blog Entries
    Sadly, I think the local media put the Twins on page two weeks ago. And that's not a good thing.
    Yeah. Doesn't bode well for either the Twins or the media. By the end of tomorrow their output will tell us more about them than we know now about the front office by a factor of somewhere between two and half of infinity.

And by 'their', I meant media, not Twins. I think.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 05-08-2014 at 09:11 PM.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sure. After watching Santana the last couple of games, I think it's time to give him a shot and start developing him into the shortstop of the future. That's why they didn't sign Drew.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

22. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (05-09-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I defended Florimon coming into the season. I was wrong. He just can't hit. Last year's performance gave me some hope that he would get enough extra base hits to make up for a low OBP and high strikeouts. Florimon has soft hands, a great arm, very good range, and can reach the fence (LH), but he can't hit. Really, sending him to Rochester is fine as long as he isn't taking reps from Santana, but I can't see him ever coming back to be the regular SS.

While Herrmann had a nice spring, he's never shown he could hit enough to be a big leaguer. Versatility goes only so far. He'll get more days in the big leagues, I think. However I don't know if it will be with the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I defended Florimon coming into the season. I was wrong. He just can't hit. Last year's performance gave me some hope that he would get enough extra base hits to make up for a low OBP and high strikeouts. Florimon has soft hands, a great arm, very good range, and can reach the fence (LH), but he can't hit. Really, sending him to Rochester is fine as long as he isn't taking reps from Santana, but I can't see him ever coming back to be the regular SS.

While Herrmann had a nice spring, he's never shown he could hit enough to be a big leaguer. Versatility goes only so far. He'll get more days in the big leagues, I think. However I don't know if it will be with the Twins.
    I thought he was due for regression from last year--something like a .550 OPS, which is below what he would need to do to keep Santana down in AAA. But I didn't think he would regress this far, this fast. On the other hand, he's the kind of guy who has to do a lot of work to be able to hit at all. When he wasn't able to do the work in spring training, it kind of doomed him to a horrible start. I thought they should have started with him on the DL to put in that work in extended spring, but they didn't, so he really wasn't ready to start the season. He was just showing signs of life, such as they were, but it was too little, too late. I haven't totally given up on him, but I'd be surprised if he makes it back with this club.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I harken back to Gardy's complete and fully public mis-assessment of Florimon in Spring Training ("He's my Starting SS!"), in the face of appendectomy surgery, no less. I would have thought that every single person in Twins Territory knew his bat was marginal even under the best circumstances, the surgery really gave him no chance to succeed- it seems like someone in the know should have anticipated that outcome a little better and DLd him from the outset when it was fairly obvious that he wasn't swinging a big league bat (as a few of us on TD recommended- as Chiristy just posted). His chance for a return to being the regular SS, barring a catastrophic series of injuries, is probably less than 1 in 3, but he really should be working on becoming a utility infielder, where he could still be valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Sure. After watching Santana the last couple of games, I think it's time to give him a shot and start developing him into the shortstop of the future. That's why they didn't sign Drew.
    I'll be surprised if everyone is still on the Santana bandwagon a month from now.

But I've been wrong before, hope to be again in this case.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll be surprised if everyone is still on the Santana bandwagon a month from now.

But I've been wrong before, hope to be again in this case.
    If Nunez really is 100%, I don't think Santana will have a chance for anyone to jump off his bandwagon. Judging from today, there are holes in his game that need refinements, he still has a ways to go to just simply be handed the job. When the roster finally returns to normal, I would surmise that the Eduardos will share the SS job until they show they can't hack it.

28. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-08-2014)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast