Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Twins Option Florimon, Herrmann

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    If Nunez really is 100%, I don't think Santana will have a chance for anyone to jump off his bandwagon. Judging from today, there are holes in his game that need refinements, he still has a ways to go to just simply be handed the job. When the roster finally returns to normal, I would surmise that the Eduardos will share the SS job until they show they can't hack it.
    Gardy might try him. But one game with Gibson on the mound and seven hits through the left side of the infield and he'll be back where he belongs, in a utility role.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

2. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (05-09-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Gardy might try him. But one game with Gibson on the mound and seven hits through the left side of the infield and he'll be back where he belongs, in a utility role.
    Gardy isn't exactly on Santana's bandwagon yet, accurately pointed out his costly SS shortcomings in the postgame presser- prolly comes down to picking yer' poison.
    Last edited by jokin; 05-08-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Glad they moved these two off the team. Would love Santana to just get the year now, to see what he is. That's what a rebuilding team does.....give YOUNG guys a chance.
    Lighten up Francis....

5. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Winston Smith (05-09-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Glad they moved these two off the team. Would love Santana to just get the year now, to see what he is. That's what a rebuilding team does.....give YOUNG guys a chance.
    Yeah, it felt more like 2 mercy killings than anything. P-Flo would have been gone at least a week ago if not for Nunez's injury. In addition to Santana getting a chance, I wouldn't have minded seeing Vargas filling the breach in the bat department, he had 2 more hits tonight and he's been on fire since April 21.

7. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-09-2014)

Blog Entries
    Gardy isn't exactly on Santana's bandwagon yet, accurately pointed out his costly SS shortcomings in the postgame presser- prolly comes down to picking yer' poison.
    Using the media for coaching of young kids--one of the least endearing traits of this manager. The kid makes three great plays and hits the ball hard a few times in one game, and Gardy focuses on a low feed to second on a successful DP, or some such nonesense.

Another unflatering side to this manager: how volatile his opinions are. Want a different opinion from Gardy? Wait 24 hours. Last week he said Escobar would start at short for a while. How long did that last? Two games. As soon as it was convenient, he put Esco at third and Florimon at short. Esco did great in those two games, but he couldn't wait to get Florimon back out there.

Whatever they do with Santana, you don't let a 23 year old with his tools sit. If he's not starting up here, send him down to start in Rochester. Don't bring him up to sit on the bench. I for one think he's the most talented shortstop in the organization. It'll take time for him to develop, but the sooner they start, the sooner they'll have something.

And Chief, I don't doubt the general public will complain about him. That's nothing new. They have unrealistic expectations.

9. These 5 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-09-2014), Reider (05-09-2014), Sconnie (05-09-2014), Siehbiscuit (05-09-2014), USAFChief (05-09-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Using the media for coaching of young kids--one of the least endearing traits of this manager. The kid makes three great plays and hits the ball hard a few times in one game, and Gardy focuses on a low feed to second on a successful DP, or some such nonesense.

Another unflatering side to this manager: how volatile his opinions are. Want a different opinion from Gardy? Wait 24 hours. Last week he said Escobar would start at short for a while. How long did that last? Two games. As soon as it was convenient, he put Esco at third and Florimon at short. Esco did great in those two games, but he couldn't wait to get Florimon back out there.

Whatever they do with Santana, you don't let a 23 year old with his tools sit. If he's not starting up here, send him down to start in Rochester. Don't bring him up to sit on the bench. I for one think he's the most talented shortstop in the organization. It'll take time for him to develop, but the sooner they start, the sooner they'll have something.

And Chief, I don't doubt the general public will complain about him. That's nothing new. They have unrealistic expectations.
    Santana's problems were more than a stray nonsensical miscue- Gardy accurately commented less on the specifics (which were obvious to a trained eye) and more on how he must adjust to the speed of the game at this level. These are things that can be remedied in time, but, you're absolutely right, he has to play to address them. And he shouldn't be shagging fly balls in the OF or sitting on the bench days on end, as Gardy had him doing when he first was called up. He needs to be playing every day, at SS, building up the reps and the muscle memory- and developing a more discriminating eye at the plate- he has the tools to be the perfect leadoff hitter if he can just get on base at a little higher rate.

11. These 3 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-08-2014), Tibs (05-09-2014), Winston Smith (05-09-2014)

Liked 1,677 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I'll be surprised if everyone is still on the Santana bandwagon a month from now.

But I've been wrong before, hope to be again in this case.
    Sounds exactly what I would say about this. Sorry.

Liked 396 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Sounds exactly what I would say about this. Sorry.
    You are right. He's not ready to be up, but he was moved out of necessity. Since he's up, and hasn't failed yet. He's a valuable prospect and needs to play, and I would like to see him play every day at MLB SS until he falters, then give him the laundry list things to work on in AAA. Hopefully when he goes down to AAA, he's hungry to come back to the bigs and forces the issue quickly.

14. These 2 users like Sconnie's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-09-2014), mike wants wins (05-09-2014)

Blog Entries
    Santana's problems were more than a stray nonsensical miscue- Gardy accurately commented less on the specifics (which were obvious to a trained eye) and more on how he must adjust to the speed of the game at this level. These are things that can be remedied in time, but, you're absolutely right, he has to play to address them. And he shouldn't be shagging fly balls in the OF or sitting on the bench days on end, as Gardy had him doing when he first was called up. He needs to be playing every day, at SS, building up the reps and the muscle memory- and developing a more discriminating eye at the plate- he has the tools to be the perfect leadoff hitter if he can just get on base at a little higher rate.
    My concern is more addressing the rookies issues with the media. A business manager is trained to Praise in Public, Punish in Private. This doesn't really work for the established pros, but a necessity for the rookies. The rookies have bigger things to work on than dealing with the media.

Blog Entries
    I'm with Jokin, I think Escobar has supplanted Florimon and Nunez, if healthy, has taken over utility and PH.

Liked 2,283 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Run with Escobar while he is hot. Be prepared for a cool down but run with Escobar while he is hot.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Run with Escobar while he is hot. Be prepared for a cool down but run with Escobar while he is hot.
    He can't be worse than Florimon.

As much consternation as there has been over centerfield, I don't understand why people haven't been more critical of shortstop, which was the glaring flaw of the roster going into the season in my opinion.

The Opening Day shortstop had an OPS+ of 0 over 74 PAs. By comparison, Aaron Hicks looks like Barry Bonds next to that guy.

19. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (05-09-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    I'd say Santana has the tools to be a good #9 hitter. He's never going to have a .400 OBP but he could produce just enough with the bat and have some speed. I agree he belongs in AAA and Escobar needs to be the starting SS. Nunez grades out worse at SS than Dozier or Plouffe.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

As much consternation as there has been over centerfield, I don't understand why people haven't been more critical of shortstop, which was the glaring flaw of the roster going into the season in my opinion.

The Opening Day shortstop had an OPS+ of 0 over 74 PAs. By comparison, Aaron Hicks looks like Barry Bonds next to that guy.

Well, in fairness to people not being all over SS....we had many threads on Drew as you may recall.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Well, in fairness to people not being all over SS....we had many threads on Drew as you may recall.
    Sure, through the offseason... But as we neared and passed Opening Day, nearly all the focus went to center while Florimon was posting an OPS+ that made Drew Butera look like an All-Star.

At least in center, they were rolling the dice on a promising young player. At short, the writing was on the wall that we were looking at another Juan Castro situation.

23. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (05-09-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries

Ohh...we've been out here...and our numbers were growing by legion by the day...even Riverbrian jumped off the P-"Flawed" bandwagon- I think even the holdouts finally computed the math and could no longer justify the tradeoff at the plate. Even the stubborn Twins management recognized their mistaken ST assessment of Florimon and was pretty proactive on this front, going after Nunez early on.

Liked 2,283 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries

I like defense and I probably over value it but I've seen what the lack of it does.

At the very least... be able to do one or the other...

Hicks hasn't impressed me defensively thus far... I think he will but he hasn't yet. Same thing for Presley... Same thing for Mastro. Fuld can at least go get it... He has impressed me.

Florimon has impressed me with his glove at SS and that's why I feel the way I do.

I can defend Florimon when he hits .220 with 9 dingers. I can't and won't defend him at .1 oh whatever with two extra base hits.

He's hit 3 balls hard all year... He's messed up... I'm off the bandwagon.

Escobar is rolling right now... Let him run until he tires.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,300 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    You are right. He's not ready to be up, but he was moved out of necessity. Since he's up, and hasn't failed yet. He's a valuable prospect and needs to play, and I would like to see him play every day at MLB SS until he falters, then give him the laundry list things to work on in AAA. Hopefully when he goes down to AAA, he's hungry to come back to the bigs and forces the issue quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    My concern is more addressing the rookies issues with the media. A business manager is trained to Praise in Public, Punish in Private. This doesn't really work for the established pros, but a necessity for the rookies. The rookies have bigger things to work on than dealing with the media.
    Came here to say both of these, find I don't need to. Santana won't be 24 until after the season ends, his batting resume in the minors is better than Florimon's at every step, he's not ready and should not be sniped at by his boss, but if he's up he should be playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Not with DSantana on the roster.

I like Escobar a lot, but as a utility guy. Right now he's batting over his head, but even apart from that I worry he will wear down with everyday use. If not for Santana, I'd say sure, let's find out about that worry, maybe I'm wrong. But, it seems like there is fan pressure to move guys out of roles they are succeeding at into more demanding roles (Dozier to SS?), and instead I'd like to see the guys prove themselves in roles they'll fill on the good teams we believe are on the way. Utility Infielder isn't exactly a difficult slot to fill, but still it seems like we've got a good one right now and can take satisfaction in it, rather than push him to be a mediocre starter.

27. These 5 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (05-09-2014), mike wants wins (05-09-2014), Sconnie (05-09-2014), Tibs (05-09-2014), USAFChief (05-09-2014)

Blog Entries
    Playing the hot hand makes sense if you're a pennant contender. The way they're managing the roster, this team will be lucky to escape the cellar of the ALC. Play the kid. Help him learn. Coach him. Praise him publicly. Correct him privately. If you do it right, you'll have a decent starting shortstop in 2015. My hope is that Molitor takes him under his wing. Someone has to coach the kids.

29. These 2 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mr. Brooks (05-09-2014), Sconnie (05-09-2014)

Liked 3,154 Times in 1,350 Posts
    I absolutely agree Santana should get the bulk of the SS playing time while he's here.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

31. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-09-2014)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast