Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Article: Twins Need to Focus on Future, Not Old Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    When Guerrier was quoted saying "This is where I want to be." I found it touching and I was proud to be a Twins fan.
    There are two basic types of responses regarding satisfactory workplaces.

(1) "I work with a lot of smart, talented people and get to do interesting things almost every day. I feel like I am constantly challenged to become the best I can be. My co-workers do good work and I am glad to work with them, but we also hold each other accountable for poor performance. I learn from my manager, who constantly puts us in position to do well. We use cutting-edge tools, which regularly causes me to learn new things and rethink how to do my job well. I feel like I am contributing to a success."

(2) "The people here are so nice. I like how we do things and feel like working here enables me to have a comfortable life. We want to do well, but not at the expense of relationships. My manager is easy-going and doesn't put too much pressure on me. We don't change things too much, so once I learn how to do something, I can be comfortable that I will be able to continue in the same manner. I feel like my manager is loyal to me, so I feel loyal to my manager. On Fridays, there's cake!"

It seems like a lot of the players that prefer playing for the Twins these days fall into the second answer. All of the players that have chosen to play here over the last few years either don't have a track record of winning and/or have had a lack of success in their most recent years. Players who still have something to offer and/or want to win look elsewhere, even if the money is worse, e.g., Garza and A.J. Once the team re-establishes a winning culture, more players who like the first answer will start coming here.
    "Where's the Crede?"

2. These 3 users like Deduno Abides's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-10-2014), Kwak (05-10-2014), mike wants wins (05-14-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    Sure, we have a whole bunch of RP, but besides Perkins, who do you really see getting anything back in return? Burton is worthless, doubtful that fien, thielbar, guerrier, duensing, or swarzak are getting you anything back that is ever going to make any sort of significant impact, and I doubt we are going to trade Tonkin or Perkins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Nobody is trading anything of value for any of our relievers not named Perkins.
    I agree. Perkins new contract also makes him more difficult to trade.

Kurt Suzuki is the best trade chip and really the only one without a 2015 commitment that can get anything beyond the return for Liriano or Morneau.

The supply of relievers and DH types laboring in the field is too great. They never will have value. League average or better starting pitching, catching, shortstops and centerfielders are the best currency.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 824 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I'll go there. I am thinking that Tonkin would be attractive to a couple clubs, but don't most teams have several guys under 30 that can throw around 95? To my knowledge, the Twins have .......Tonkin.
    Who I would add should not be traded. This guy looks like he can be a late inning shut down guy who is under team control for 6 seasons.

The problem I see it as is that with Burton tanking, their best rental trade option really isn't a good option.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2 relievers could be packaged together for a top 10 prospect from a win now team. If I am the Phillies and I am trying to win now. I would trade a solid prospect for 2 solid relievers if it can make that big a difference this year. Or we could trade Corriea or Kubel or Willingham and a reliever for more than otherwise. it all depends on what we can get and how we package the deal on our end. Do I think we can get a top 5 prospect for them ...no but we can get value. Or we can become competitive if we find our SS and Meyer comes up and tears it up, we could just keep our excess and let it go in the offseason.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    2 relievers could be packaged together for a top 10 prospect from a win now team. If I am the Phillies and I am trying to win now. I would trade a solid prospect for 2 solid relievers if it can make that big a difference this year. Or we could trade Corriea or Kubel or Willingham and a reliever for more than otherwise. it all depends on what we can get and how we package the deal on our end. Do I think we can get a top 5 prospect for them ...no but we can get value. Or we can become competitive if we find our SS and Meyer comes up and tears it up, we could just keep our excess and let it go in the offseason.
    Only if one of them is named Perkins.
    Even our next 2 best relievers would be lucky to land someones top 20 spec, nevermind top 10.
    And why would anyone trade for Corriea, Kubel or Willingham right now?

Having a bunch of mediocre relievers is not an "excess". Those are the type of guys that everyone in their system has that could be called up at any time.

Why would the Phillies want to give up a spec for a reliever when they could just call up Ken Giles?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    Any way you slice it, no team is giving up anything good for a combination of 2 of Guerrier, Swarzak, Duensing, Thielbar, Burton. RPs like that are a dime a dozen.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Catching-up on all of the posts--and wished I had been reading them earlier! The "roster problems" stem from two sources: 1) the failure of the FO to keep the pipeline full of future quality major league players from bottom to the top and 2) the need to sell sizzle because there is no steak to sell. Ownership keeps the management around because the profit is "there". What is the basic difference between 2011 and now? The payroll was reduced $30MM--coindentially the reported team profit last year. So why change the FO (if you're an owner)?
    The jingles about "these are your Twins--get to know 'em", "outdoor baseball" (buy a ticket or four!), etc., aren't working so a new jingle (marketing plan) was formed--"the old gang is back" (or something like that). Consequently management by short-term marketing jingles, a constrained budget, and by the same group that put the team in this predicament in the first place--this is the result! I am not surprised.
    True, the number of injuries is well above a level that could be expected. But the lack of depth is inexcuseable.
    I am also surprised by the number of posters complaining about watching Hicks struggle. The time is (was) now to assess whether Hicks is viable for the franchise--and that requires that he play for the Twins. Buxton is coming and it would be criminal to hold is progress back to allow more time to assess whether Hicks has a future with the Twins. Much the same for the other "near-major leaguers" whether position-players or pitchers--play them and assess them in the majors and abandon any fantasy of "wild-card contenders" in 2014.

10. This user likes Kwak's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-14-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    I am also surprised by the number of posters complaining about watching Hicks struggle. The time is (was) now to assess whether Hicks is viable for the franchise--and that requires that he play for the Twins.
    Totally agree with this. Plus, who will play CF if they demote Hicks now? Colabello or Kubel?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I was actually more upset about the Mastro move than the Presley....This is where Antony is clearly to blame. He didn't need to DFA Mastro to make room on the 40 man for Fuld. He could have DFAd Bartlett and paid the extra $500K. Or he could have filed the retirement papers when Bartlett announced his retirement, instead of waiting three days. Or he could have DFAd Raley. He chose the one reserve outfielder who can play all three outfield spots and who has an option left.
    This! It was perfectly feasible to increase depth at a thin position and not decrease depth (too much) at a position of strength or cutting roster chaff. All RA had to do was make sure Bartlett's paperwork got done on Friday, instead of letting it ride and let the chips fall where they may.

I've been following Twins baseball since I was a grade school kid in 1961. The Jason Bartlett decision coming out of Spring Training was the oddest damned decision I have ever seen. The only thing I can imagine with some of these decisions is that Gardy and staff are getting tired and really don't want to have to be around young guys anymore, if they have other options. But we have to remember, Gardy cut his teeth under auto-pilot manager Tom Kelly. The only young player Kelly ever tolerated was Kirby Puckett -- and he was a one-in-a-thousand HOFer.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickSchuette View Post
    I've been following Twins baseball since I was a grade school kid in 1961. The Jason Bartlett decision coming out of Spring Training was the oddest damned decision I have ever seen. The only thing I can imagine with some of these decisions is that Gardy and staff are getting tired and really don't want to have to be around young guys anymore, if they have other options. But we have to remember, Gardy cut his teeth under auto-pilot manager Tom Kelly. The only young player Kelly ever tolerated was Kirby Puckett -- and he was a one-in-a-thousand HOFer.
    Mostly agree but I've heard a lot of stories about how TK was always the hardest working guy in the organization. Not a lot of patience for young guys from him though if they didn't want to put the work in, true.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deduno Abides View Post
    There are two basic types of responses regarding satisfactory workplaces.

(1) "I work with a lot of smart, talented people and get to do interesting things almost every day. I feel like I am constantly challenged to become the best I can be. My co-workers do good work and I am glad to work with them, but we also hold each other accountable for poor performance. I learn from my manager, who constantly puts us in position to do well. We use cutting-edge tools, which regularly causes me to learn new things and rethink how to do my job well. I feel like I am contributing to a success."

(2) "The people here are so nice. I like how we do things and feel like working here enables me to have a comfortable life. We want to do well, but not at the expense of relationships. My manager is easy-going and doesn't put too much pressure on me. We don't change things too much, so once I learn how to do something, I can be comfortable that I will be able to continue in the same manner. I feel like my manager is loyal to me, so I feel loyal to my manager. On Fridays, there's cake!"

It seems like a lot of the players that prefer playing for the Twins these days fall into the second answer. All of the players that have chosen to play here over the last few years either don't have a track record of winning and/or have had a lack of success in their most recent years. Players who still have something to offer and/or want to win look elsewhere, even if the money is worse, e.g., Garza and A.J. Once the team re-establishes a winning culture, more players who like the first answer will start coming here.
    If I could LOVE this post, I would. At my last two places of work, when describing people that aren't that good at their jobs, we would always start with "they are super nice people".
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456