Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Dozier's Baserunning

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts

Dozier's Baserunning

We've all certainly been a little frustrated with the management of our hometown 9 the last couple of days. Here's something to discuss on the positive side:

Brian Dozier has turned into a damn fine baserunner.

He has enough speed but it is so clear that he has the instincts to properly judge the situation and how aggressive he can be. He has scored several runs in the last month just by catching the other team napping or not making the proper throws, etc. Dare I say that he reminds me of Molitor on the bases......
    Last edited by Linus; 05-09-2014 at 12:33 PM.

2. These 3 users like Linus's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (05-09-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (05-09-2014), snepp (05-09-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Brian Dozier is hiding a mighty big baseball brain underneath that glorious mane. The guy simply does everything right.

4. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (05-09-2014), snepp (05-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    I like everything I see from Dozier these days, including the baserunning. His average will come up, I think, and the total package is great. Maybe the thing I like best is that he seems to be having fun and being enthusiastic. Hopefully that fires up the other guys. He's become a really good interview as well.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    For all my doom and gloom, I have nothing but high praise for Dozier. Watching him develop into a top 2B has definitely been one of the few consistent highlights of recent Twin's seasons. He's fielding great, his eye at the plate seems to have improved hugely (26 BB in 161 PA this season already, 51 BB in 623 PA last season), he's hitting well, he's running well, he's a good clubhouse guy by all accounts, and I think he could be good role model for some of the even younger guys in the sense that he always seems to be working very hard and trying to do everything the right way.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Brian Dozier is hiding a mighty big baseball brain underneath that glorious mane. The guy simply does everything right.
    Brian Baseball. If he continues at this level of excellence, and at this point, there seems to be no reason why he won't, it will soon be time to start talking extension.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Brian Baseball. If he continues at this level of excellence, and at this point, there seems to be no reason why he won't, it will soon be time to start talking extension.
    Being we have him under control til 2018 (I believe), I'm still of the mind set, that we don't need to extend him at all. Just go year to year with him. It's not like they don't have the money to. He'll be on the downswing of his prime 2018, at which point you don't want to extend him for big money anyway.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Dozier is a huge bright spot this year. No doubt about it.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    This young man really deserves All Star recognition. And we could use eight more of him.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

11. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-09-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by linus View Post
    we've all certainly been a little frustrated with the management of our hometown 9 the last couple of days. Here's something to discuss on the positive side:

brian dozier has turned into a damn fine baseball player

he has enough speed but it is so clear that he has the instincts to properly judge the situation and how aggressive he can be. He has scored several runs in the last month just by catching the other team napping or not making the proper throws, etc. Dare i say that he reminds me of molitor on the bases......
    fify

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    We've all certainly been a little frustrated with the management of our hometown 9 the last couple of days. Here's something to discuss on the positive side:

Brian Dozier has turned into a damn fine baserunner.

He has enough speed but it is so clear that he has the instincts to properly judge the situation and how aggressive he can be. He has scored several runs in the last month just by catching the other team napping or not making the proper throws, etc. Dare I say that he reminds me of Molitor on the bases......
    I've been what some around TD might consider an apologist for the front office in the past. The past few days have been very difficult to stomach, even for me. Thanks for bringing up something positive to think about.

By the way, Grantland has a nice article on him right now:
    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/br...ond-base-star/

14. This user likes Physics Guy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (05-09-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dozier's the guy on the team right now who will find a way to beat the other team. Kind of an attribute of playing 2B, many times.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So who cares about a .227 batting average. Buy out his arbitration years.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sorney View Post
    Being we have him under control til 2018 (I believe), I'm still of the mind set, that we don't need to extend him at all. Just go year to year with him. It's not like they don't have the money to. He'll be on the downswing of his prime 2018, at which point you don't want to extend him for big money anyway.
    The reason why you extend him is to get him on a cheaper contract. It gives him some certainty, which allows you to buy out a year or two of FA on top of it... If he continues to develop, he becomes immensely tradable as well. I think Jokin is right here, he should be a contract priority this offseason.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    I bet they hammer out an extension prior to the All-Star game. Goodwill and propaganda to help get your players get in the game and give fans a silver lining to a team that isn't contending.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    The biggest reason to give Dozier an extension now is MN nice. There isn't much of a baseball reason for buying out age 32+ seasons for a MI'er. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't do it. I think there is something to be said about taking care of your producers instead of relying on the serfdom system. The Twins also have a history of taking care of their own (too much so in some cases) so I could see a Denard Span type deal (obviously more guaranteed money). And then we can expect to see a Cameron article on the pointlessness of it.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,929 Times in 1,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    You had me at 'glorious mane.'