Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colabello

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts

Colabello

The feel good story of the first month is turning into a tragedy, as Colabello looks nothing like the guy we enjoyed watching earlier in the year. Yesterday was especially telling, with an 0 for 4 at the plate (with another 2 K's) and an embarrassingly misplayed popup in the 9th. Often a drop off in performance by an inexperienced player can be explained by pitchers "figuring him out", but I'm not seeing a different approach in pitching to Chris. What's going on with him seems to be entirely between his ears, as he appears to have lost all confidence at the plate. While he showed a remarkable eye at the plate in the first month of the season, recently he is waving at sliders far out of the zone and letting fastballs go by him for strikes. Frankly, it's painful to watch.

I am not giving up on Chris. I just think he needs to get his head straightened out, and continuing to run him out there in the cleanup spot is doing him a disservice. The Twins need to send him down to Rochester to regain his confidence. And the timing is perfect with the pending return of Arcia and Willingham.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,597 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Colabello should be on the bench. Ride him through a hot streak and then put him back in a bench role when he cools off. He has a decent chance of being a bench bat, though it's unfortunate that the Twins roster currently has a stockpile of guys who should be bench bats.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
    I know Arcia has been playing some but is Willingham anywhere near ready to return? Seems like that is popular opinion but not sure where it is coming from.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by longstrangetrip View Post
    I am not giving up on Chris. I just think he needs to get his head straightened out, and continuing to run him out there in the cleanup spot is doing him a disservice. The Twins need to send him down to Rochester to regain his confidence.
    Colabello was everyone's hero in April and now instead of him having couple of days off to clear his head and maybe get back to some fundamentals in the cage, we need to send him to Rochester. Don't all players go through slumps? There is nothing for Colabello to do at Rochester (except be the best hitter in that league again!). He may need a break from the lineup, but sending people up and down isn't always the best solution.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WLFINN View Post
    I know Arcia has been playing some but is Willingham anywhere near ready to return? Seems like that is popular opinion but not sure where it is coming from.

He's (Willingham) been taking flips and hitting off a tee the last few days with no issues and is ready to give BP on the field another shot. He seems likely to require a rehab assignment before returning. May 9 - 4:41 PM Source: Rhett Bollinger on Twitter

6. This user likes Kirby_Waved_At_Me's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

WLFINN (05-12-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Colabello was everyone's hero in April and now instead of him having couple of days off to clear his head and maybe get back to some fundamentals in the cage, we need to send him to Rochester. Don't all players go through slumps? There is nothing for Colabello to do at Rochester (except be the best hitter in that league again!). He may need a break from the lineup, but sending people up and down isn't always the best solution.
    I agree that it's not always the best solution to send someone down, but this is an unusual situation. Plouffe has been slumping at the plate too, but he still appears confident and is having good at bats. Colabello, on the other hand, is a train wreck, and looks like he isn't having any fun out there. I just don't seem him as a viable option right now offensively or defensively, and would rather have a confident player pinch hitting.

I still think he may be for real, and I think this is a critical time for him. Send him down and let him rediscover his passion for the game. Let him rake at AAA and them bring him back in a month.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    I think he's worth keeping here instead of sending him down. With guys getting healthy and Parms in right, Colabello can get some much needed bench time.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think just give him a day or two to clear his head. More and more in the last couple of weeks, we've seen him take a lot of called strikes on the outer part of the plate. He then is putting together a patented lean back in disappointment look in the batter's box that signals that frustration. The body language in the batter's box now isn't good.

That said, he's one of like 1 or 2 bats in the lineup that has any semblance of power. I'd maybe move him down to 5 or 6 in the lineup after a day or two off and keep going with it.

As for the dropped pop-up, that's nothing to worry about that. He'll catch that 98% of the time, if not more often. those just happen sometimes.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Maybe they could have a discussion about the taboo "P" word. Arcia should get full-time duty as the only true prospect OF, but Colabello and Parmelee can platoon with Kubel largely getting the bench.

Once Willingham and Arcia are back, I would think that Collabello will become a bench bat, along with Parmalee.

Kubel and Pinto will be the main DHs - with Pinto getting one to two starts per week behind the plate, allowing Collabello or Parmalee a start or two per week.

The looming question is what to do with Hicks when Fuld returns. Will they continue to throw Hicks out there - or will Fuld get the starting CF spot? Can't see Hicks sitting on the bench. If he isn't starting - he will likely get sent to Rochester for an infielder.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    It was inevitable that the hot streak would end, and now that it has, it would be a good time to let him sit. I haven't noticed that anybody is pitching him differently but I have noticed that "the lunge" is coming back albeit in a lesser form. At the beginning of the year his balance was markedly different (better); he now seems to be off balance again, leaning over the plate. In the end, he should be a right hand platoon option at first and DH. (No more outfield play, please).

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 537 Times in 349 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's fallen off, no doubt. I think pinch hitter and occasional DH/1B makes sense, for now. If Chris can't handle that role, he's likely heading to Rochester. Colabello was a hero when the club needed him in April, but by the All-Star break, if not sooner, he may be batting cleanup for the Red Wings.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 331 Times in 209 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Colabello should be on the bench. Ride him through a hot streak and then put him back in a bench role when he cools off. He has a decent chance of being a bench bat, though it's unfortunate that the Twins roster currently has a stockpile of guys who should be bench bats.
    Bench right now, but possibly Rochester ultimately. He's so limited/blocked defensively on this club, and his offense just hasn't overcome that yet. He might be able to pinch-hit for a Florimon or Hicks type black hole, but it would probably be better to address the black hole than keep a limited, modest pinch hit caddy around for it.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,291 Times in 694 Posts
    Hammer and Arcia coming back, Parmelee as good an option off the bench, younger and better defensively ........hate to say it but it's midnight Cola.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    My guess is that Colabello will not get sent down, even after everyone is healthy again. Parmelee is as good off the bench, but he's a lefty like Kubel and Mauer and Arcia. Colabello being a right-handed hitter works in his favor in this case - my guess is that Gardy would want a bench bat / pinch hitter that would be batting from the opposite side of the starter.

Parmelee could have a pretty good rest of May and it might not matter.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just heard a Twins advertisement promoting Colabello. That makes me think he'll really have to screw up to get sent down. A bench bat and rotating DH with Kubel is what he should be doing, at least when everyone's healthy.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Does he perhaps need convincing that he has groin injury?

19. These 3 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

GCTF (05-12-2014), LaBombo (05-12-2014), Sconnie (05-13-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    With the roster bungles and the preference to aged players, I have a feeling Arcia and Parmelee will lose out to Willingham, Kubel and Colabello.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighTwinsFan View Post
    Once Willingham and Arcia are back, I would think that Collabello will become a bench bat, along with Parmalee.

Kubel and Pinto will be the main DHs - with Pinto getting one to two starts per week behind the plate, allowing Collabello or Parmalee a start or two per week.
    The math does not work here, unless you demote both Nunez and Hicks, which is not happening (and should not happen.)

Colabello needs to go to Rochester. At this point Parmelee is ahead of him and he should be playing.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 331 Times in 209 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    I just heard a Twins advertisement promoting Colabello. That makes me think he'll really have to screw up to get sent down. A bench bat and rotating DH with Kubel is what he should be doing, at least when everyone's healthy.
    I heard that too. Seems a bit premature to make an ad about him (and a cowbell giveaway promotion?). I guess the roster is light in the marketability department right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast