Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Danny Santana

Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I like that. Give Santana a shot a center, why not? I feel Hicks needs to stay down for the rest of the season. They can give him another look next spring.

Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Exactly!

Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who sees it that way.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the Twins' system, they have Hicks and Fuld. Currently Fuld is on the concussion DL and Hicks is hitting a buck-seventy. If he can play a non-embarrassing center field, I would play him there on Tuesday.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,594 Times in 829 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Didn't we see what can happen when you put a career middle infielder in the outfield in a big league game just the other day?

I've heard a lot of bad ideas on this forum but Santana in center is probably the worst one yet.

Why would anyone want to screw with a kid's head like that? What possible good could come from such insane mismanagement?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bear333 View Post
    I feel Hicks needs to stay down for the rest of the season. They can give him another look next spring.
    I'd put even money on you saying the exact same thing about Santana by June. Let's not get ahead of ourselves over 30 plate appearances.

7. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (05-11-2014), JB_Iowa (05-12-2014), USAFChief (05-12-2014)

He and Nunez need to stay for good. Trade Florimon

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When Fuld comes off the DL, maybe you option Hicks at that point and hope he can find his swing in AAA. But Santana in center is not an option. I was surprised Steiny made that move. It worked this time, it will not work most of the time. For that reason, I doubt Gardy would have done it had he not been ejected.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

10. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (05-12-2014)

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    The window of opportunity is only so big in professional sports, so I'm not against players learning another position in order to play in the MLB. However, there are a few problems.

First of all, losing Morneau was not insignificant. Mauer and Colabello have been a bit shaky over there. The Twins lost Florimon's defense because he couldn't hit. Secondly, there's way too much experimentation with the Twins this year. First it's Bartlett, then Escobar and Santana, who else?

I wish some of these players would develop their skills as an outfielder or whatever position they want to play in the minor leagues before embarrassing themselves at the MLB level. I'd rather have 9 guys who are solid defenders than 9 guys who can play multiple positions, but are mediocre at most of them!

It really didn't bother me that Joe Mauer moved to first base due to health issues, but that's only one move. It's the fact that there's way too much experimentation going on at the MLB level and it's burning us!

It's not too late for a guy like Danny Santana (or any of the other younger guys in the minors for that matter) to go down to the minors and learn how to play the outfield if that's what he wants to do.
    Last edited by Reider; 05-11-2014 at 07:05 PM.

12. These 2 users like Reider's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

joebush44 (05-12-2014), Otwins (05-11-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    My favorite thing about Santana is that in about 1/4 the number of games, Santana already has triple the RBI's and triple the doubles of Florimon and an OPS about .700 higher.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,304 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by milldaddy35 View Post
    Trade Florimon
    He will depart the same way he arrived, via waivers.

15. These 8 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (05-12-2014), Cris E (05-12-2014), diehardtwinsfan (05-12-2014), joebush44 (05-12-2014), Mr. Brooks (05-12-2014), snepp (05-11-2014), USAFChief (05-12-2014), Willihammer (05-12-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I admit I thought he'd hit more like Floriman, and field a bit worse. I have NO IDEA if he can play CF.....but since they have no SS anywhere near the majors, why not let him play SS for awhile? If that doesn't work, send him to AAA for a month to play CF (it's not like anyone in AA or AAA is blocking him......sigh).
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    It won't be too long until his batting average dips under .220, but he's really exciting. His speed is fantastic and I hope he doesn't get injured (an injury that would sap his speed, that is. Like Mastoianni). Might as well keep starting him while he's hot.
    While it would typically be horrible if your SS batting average drops to .220, he would be getting 2x the hits of the guy he is replacing. So i think this works out really well. We get way more offensive production out of SS and he can learn on the job.

I assure you, if 80 balls get through the SS gaps, Pedro would not get to 40 of them. So this works out pretty well.

If anything I'd put Santana at SS while he's hot and let utilityman Escobar play CF while he's hot. Then when things need to change just send out Santana to learn SS at AAA.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Funny when two of your hottest hitters play SS as their best position, especially on the Twins. I would rather keep playing Santana at SS 4-5 times a week if he is going to stay up. Escobar could play SS 2-3 times a week and sub in other positions and probably have 4-5 games a week also.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Santana will hit. He just might stick around, and some I know think this should of been done earlier. Keep him at short and play Escobar at 3rd once in awhile. He hits, or is, better than Plouffe.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    Santana will hit. He just might stick around, and some I know think this should of been done earlier. Keep him at short and play Escobar at 3rd once in awhile. He hits, or is, better than Plouffe.
    I doubt that will be the case by the end of the season. Escobar doesn't have a chance to OPS .700 while Plouffe OPS's .700+ and is a disappointment. there's also a chance that things click for Plouffe and he becomes a less streaky solid hitter (.750+ OPS).

I think the Twins should start Santana 4-5 games/wk and rotate Escobar in wherever there is an opening (even CF if he's not horrible).

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I doubt that will be the case by the end of the season. Escobar doesn't have a chance to OPS .700 while Plouffe OPS's .700+ and is a disappointment. there's also a chance that things click for Plouffe and he becomes a less streaky solid hitter (.750+ OPS).

I think the Twins should start Santana 4-5 games/wk and rotate Escobar in wherever there is an opening (even CF if he's not horrible).
    Agreed. The likelihood of Plouffe becoming an acceptable long-term 3B is much higher than Escobar doing the same.

23. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-12-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    He will depart the same way he arrived, via waivers.
    Three errors in three games and three 0fers for the Red Wings. The spiral has yet to bottom out.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,304 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Three errors in three games and three 0fers for the Red Wings. The spiral has yet to bottom out.
    I take no pleasure in seeing him fall apart, of course. He battled a physical ailment this spring that would have kept me recuperating for weeks longer. This is probably harder for him than being waived by the Orioles, since someone still wanted to pick him up and give him a chance.

The fielding will straighten itself out, but the bat just won't. The majority of aspiring infielders eventually have to face this, it just took longer for him and it's probably no consolation to him at this moment that he held onto that bottom rung in the majors for a while.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast