@sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Minnesota Twins Minor League Report (May 9): Kernels Crush

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is interesting that Van Steensel is playing at Cedar Rapids. On one hand, it is the highest level he ever played in the States (and the Aussie League is probably comparable to the Midwest League level of competition,) but at 23+ he is just too old for the league. He does have decent off speed stuff that kids at that level do not know how to handle and is not afraid to throw balls in the dirt, but he real has to pick on guys his own age Got to see what he can do at high A at least, at this point...

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Eleven hits.....and I was so sure Wimmers would be back this year. Not looking good lately.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Santana in the bigs...

Polanco and Goodrum still raking at A+...

Vielma...age 19 at Cedar rapids...coming around with a little bit of the stick perhaps.

Maybe drafting Gordon at #5 in June?

Why is it so hard to find a solid fielding SS (not even great, but solid) who also has the coordination to hit .280+ 15+ HR 15+ SB scenario?

Member Rookie
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Why was Buxton out of the FM lineup? Any background info about Arcia's return to the lineup in Rochester?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    Why was Buxton out of the FM lineup? Any background info about Arcia's return to the lineup in Rochester?
    They both are in the same situation: Day to Day with wrist issues. They hurt.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Eleven hits.....and I was so sure Wimmers would be back this year. Not looking good lately.
    Wasn't at the game and don't know the order of things but 5 errors and several misplays can turn 4 innings of work into a lot more. Focus on the 2 earned runs part of it.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    I like versatility but trying to make so many players be interchangeable parts doesn't really make sense to me. Used to be everyone knew their position and a guy like Al Newman would be the utility guy. Now it seems they are trying to make everyone capable of playing multiple positions and it just seems counterproductive. Why is it a good thing have the ability to play several positions when it seems to equate to not playing any particularly well. Plouffe is just now appearing to be competent at 3rd base. I am guessing he would still be a defensive mess if trotted out at other positions.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    I like versatility but trying to make so many players be interchangeable parts doesn't really make sense to me. Used to be everyone knew their position and a guy like Al Newman would be the utility guy. Now it seems they are trying to make everyone capable of playing multiple positions and it just seems counterproductive. Why is it a good thing have the ability to play several positions when it seems to equate to not playing any particularly well. Plouffe is just now appearing to be competent at 3rd base. I am guessing he would still be a defensive mess if trotted out at other positions.
    The reason is that for many guys they will never be good enough to force an established player aside for a spot in the lineup.
    The premium 'specs like Buxton, Sano, etc. they will learn pretty much 1 position and stay there until they get up, because they are good enough that you make room for them at that position when they are ready.
    For everyone else, you may need to move off your 'natural' position in order to ever have a shot at making it. Most teams would prefer that you learn those other positions in the minors, rather than the majors.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Todd Van Steensel, just imagine Bert trying to pronounce this.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    Todd Van Steensel, just imagine Bert trying to pronounce this.
    Sounds European, Dutch even, so he may be just fine with it.

Cedar Rapids has 4 catchers as of today on the roster....oddly built rosters based on injuries seems to be a familiar theme. Any idea where they will go with it? CR looks lite on outfielders because of the injuries even with JD Williams. Are there any left in extended you see joining the club? Proctor?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 101 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just speculation on my part, but I imagine we'll see Chad Christensen see more time in the OF with Garver (and maybe other catchers) playing some 1B for a while.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    I think the other half of why they want versatility is the short benches in the major leagues. It's a lot easier to carry 13 pitchers when your three bench players cover 4 positions each.