Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berardino: Dozier shares his faith in Detroit

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries

Berardino: Dozier shares his faith in Detroit

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...pregame-crowd/

Mike Berardino posted a blog about Brian Dozier speaking to a Saturday morning crowd in Detroit about his faith. Great quotes from Dozier about speaking about such a personal thing in public. Check it out.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That is a huge can of worms, as are any discussions that mix baseball with politics and religion and the such.

just my 2 cents and I will leave it at that.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Well, thanks, I appreciated the little story. Baseball Chapel is quite an old organization, and a lot of fine fellows (and "good guy" Twins) have been involved in it.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 75 Times in 56 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's a lot who say faith and don't do it. Most often when we hear someone say they're a Christian or anything really, a woman, a European, a man, an 80 year old, a banker, a professional athlete - in all of those things we often throw our projects, both favorable and unfavorable upon them as if we actually knew them.

Dozier is fun to watch and seems to be a genuine guy.

There's much expectation that faith and behavior should go hand in hand. Just like a young prospect coming up through the minor leagues, for some, it takes a lot of time to overhaul what they knew previously.

Faith won't give you win's and tons of money, it's not what it's about. The Bible says there was no greater man born of a woman than John the Baptist (Matt. 11:11). He was beheaded on request of a stripper (Matt. 14). And Jesus was crucified. Good behavior doesn't necessarily equate to 'life results'...Sabermetricians agree.

To bring all this to a close. Thanks for sharing Seth. Glad Dozier is humble enough to show how it was not easy at first and the more people he shares with the more it weighs with him. If you're not nervous, it probably doesn't matter that much.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Seth, told you, you were opening a can of worms

Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    . The Bible says there was no greater man born of a woman than John the Baptist (Matt. 11:11). He was beheaded on request of a stripper (Matt. 14).
    Alright. Matthew 14:

14 At that time Herod the tetrarch heard the reports about Jesus, 2 and he said to his attendants, “This is John the Baptist; he has risen from the dead! That is why miraculous powers are at work in him.”
    3 Now Herod had arrested John and bound him and put him in prison because of Herodias, his brother Philip’s wife, 4 for John had been saying to him: “It is not lawful for you to have her.” 5 Herod wanted to kill John, but he was afraid of the people, because they considered John a prophet.
    6 On Herod’s birthday the daughter of Herodias danced for the guests and pleased Herod so much 7 that he promised with an oath to give her whatever she asked. 8 Prompted by her mother, she said, “Give me here on a platter the head of John the Baptist.” 9 The king was distressed, but because of his oaths and his dinner guests, he ordered that her request be granted 10 and had John beheaded in the prison. 11 His head was brought in on a platter and given to the girl, who carried it to her mother. 12 John’s disciples came and took his body and buried it. Then they went and told Jesus.
    I think I missed the stripper part. Seems that Matthew did too.

Matthew 11.11:
    11 Truly I tell you, among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet whoever is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 05-10-2014 at 09:23 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let's not turn this into an argument over the meaning of scripture.

7. These 4 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

biggentleben (05-12-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (05-12-2014), diehardtwinsfan (05-11-2014), snepp (05-11-2014)

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Seth, told you, you were opening a can of worms

Alright. Matthew 14:

I think I missed the stripper part. Seems that Matthew did too.

Matthew 11.11:
    its interesting to hear other people's faith story. I am not so bold to share it so openly in public face to face.

the back story is, John the Baptist told Herod it was a sin to be hot for your step daughter (or niece depending on your translation)
    http://biblehub.com/commentaries/gill/matthew/14.htm
    Herod wouldn't "Marry" Salome because of it, but told Salome (or Herodias again translation) he'd give her anything she asked for a "dance". Being vindictive she asked for John the baptists head on a platter, which he obliged.

Stripper isn't so far off, and this book has been translations of translations for hundreds of years.

9. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (05-11-2014)

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Let's not turn this into an argument over the meaning of scripture.
    Sorry Brock, should've read further. I'm done

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Sorry Brock, should've read further. I'm done
    No worries, thanks for responding.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    This is going to end well.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

13. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (05-10-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    This is going to end well.
    May he who casts the first stone have a long career in the Twins bullpen.

Or something like that.

15. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-10-2014), Sconnie (05-10-2014), snepp (05-11-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    May he who casts the first stone have a long career in the Twins bullpen.

Or something like that.
    If the stone approaches 100 mph and is on target of course. Gardy 4:20

17. These 2 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (05-12-2014), Sconnie (05-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Thou shshoud not throw the stone straight. Jim Hoey 1:98

19. This user likes old nurse's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Fatt Crapps (05-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 487 Times in 284 Posts
    Thou shalt not throw in excess of 100 stones, lest ye be unable to throw stones again on your fifth day.

- the Book of Rick

21. These 6 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

AM. (05-11-2014), amjgt (05-11-2014), Fatt Crapps (05-11-2014), LaBombo (05-12-2014), snepp (05-11-2014), Willihammer (05-11-2014)

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    Thou shalt get after it
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

23. These 3 users like zchrz's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

AM. (05-11-2014), Monkeypaws (05-13-2014), Reider (05-13-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thou shalt not covet thy opposing team's impending free agents, or at least contact them until after the end of season tournament concludes.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know. Gardy 5:1-20 is all about how the stone needs to have some decent sink to it.

And then there's the book of Anderson.... talk about something that gets people riled up....
    Last edited by diehardtwinsfan; 05-11-2014 at 07:27 AM.

26. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (05-12-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That is a huge can of worms, as are any discussions that mix baseball with politics and religion and the such.

just my 2 cents and I will leave it at that.
    All kidding aside, I think we can have these conversations and still be respectful. I think we are all aware that there are liberals, conservatives, and libertarians that visit this site. It doesn't mean we can get along. I'm fairly certain there are Christians, Atheists, and Agnostics that visit too. We can all get a long. No one is saying that an atheist needs to become a Christian or vice-versa. I do think though that where people land, we can talk about it respectfully.

Personally, as a Christian I like hearing about these things. I already really like Dozier and stories like this make me like him more. There's a lot more to life than baseball. If Dozier has a good baseball career, he'll be nearing retirement when he reaches my age. It's great to see that he wants to have an impact both now and when that time is reached.

28. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

WLFINN (05-12-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    "You have to tell the truth the way you see it. And yet you have to be tolerant of the fact that neither you nor the man you are arguing with is going to get it right." - J. Bronowski.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At the risk of digging into that open can of worms:
    Dozier is having a great year as a player, but I don't think it's unusual or all that courageous for a baseball player to speak about his Christian religious beliefs in public. The members of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes have been doing it for years. Brian is a guy from Mississippi, the heart of the evangelical Bible Belt. They're supposed to spread the word (and sometimes that can be counterproductive for the team - remember Tommy Herr, although I am not saying Dozier would be that divisive). If Brian Dozier had come out and said he was an atheist, maybe that would be courageous, but I'd be just as negative. Lace up your shoes, pick up your bat and glove and play the game - and tell us about that. I don't want to hear about you guru, your atheism or personal relationships with deities. I don't care how the deity got you successfully to negotiate your latest mega-million dollar contract (it's happened) or help you win the game over the poor "loser" Christian who lost in the other dugout (apparently not helped that day by divine intervention). On HBO, Larry Merchant, while interviewing winning boxers, would often cut them off when they'd endorse products ("This is HBO, we don't have commercials") or go into the obligatory "The first thing I want to do is thank God . . ." Larry was right - It's just NOT good sports commentary! We want to hear you talk about the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast