Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Berardino: Dozier shares his faith in Detroit

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post

And then there's the book of Anderson.... talk about something that gets people riled up....
    "... And verily, I say unto you, pay 1/10 strkeouts per 9 as a tithe. And behold, your defenders slave for you."

2. These 2 users like Willihammer's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (05-11-2014), Paul Pleiss (05-12-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strumdatjag View Post
    At the risk of digging into that open can of worms:
    Dozier is having a great year as a player, but I don't think it's unusual or all that courageous for a baseball player to speak about his Christian religious beliefs in public. The members of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes have been doing it for years. Brian is a guy from Mississippi, the heart of the evangelical Bible Belt. They're supposed to spread the word (and sometimes that can be counterproductive for the team - remember Tommy Herr, although I am not saying Dozier would be that divisive). If Brian Dozier had come out and said he was an atheist, maybe that would be courageous, but I'd be just as negative. Lace up your shoes, pick up your bat and glove and play the game - and tell us about that. I don't want to hear about you guru, your atheism or personal relationships with deities. I don't care how the deity got you successfully to negotiate your latest mega-million dollar contract (it's happened) or help you win the game over the poor "loser" Christian who lost in the other dugout (apparently not helped that day by divine intervention). On HBO, Larry Merchant, while interviewing winning boxers, would often cut them off when they'd endorse products ("This is HBO, we don't have commercials") or go into the obligatory "The first thing I want to do is thank God . . ." Larry was right - It's just NOT good sports commentary! We want to hear you talk about the game.
    this is exactly what I spoke to...projections. All generic stuff. Most people in the Bible belt are not Christians. Most people in Mississippi are not Christians.

Why do people project? Just the other day there was a Mississippi man who killed someone. Did he fit the Bible belt Mississippi man description?

And he did share, that it was a struggle to share in public. Again, that's different than the Tim Tebow and other types of Christian.

Let's not put projections of Dozier or Michael Sam or anyone we know onto them if we don't know them. Let each person speak for themselves and be distinctly themselves.

Did you know Dozier was a Christian before this? I don't get post-game stuff on MLB.TV so I haven't seen that many interviews of Dozier.

He's been with the Twins for almost 3 years....and I didn't know this. Doesn't seem to be 'over the top' as some are.

He doesn't even go as far as the Kirby Puckett 'sign of the cross' before his at-bats or anything else like that.

But to your 2nd point...or Larry the Cable guy...it's usually just out of left field, and if you 'share' in that moment, it's everyone's projection of Christianity - and personally I can't handle the dialogue of most people who claim to be "Christians."

It's not the right time to 'share' and people are only going to project what they know of Christianity upon you. Good and bad.

That's what my initial post tried to speak to.
    Last edited by twinsfan34; 05-11-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Seth, told you, you were opening a can of worms

Alright. Matthew 14:

I think I missed the stripper part. Seems that Matthew did too.

Matthew 11.11:

this is my projection...

but I didn't think you'd miss that kind of thing.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just wow!

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 393 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    And then there's the book of Anderson.... talk about something that gets people riled up....
    This is controversial, because many people do not think it should have been excluded from the official cannon by the Council of Cooperstown - that it better reflects the spirit of Abner Doublesday than some of the official cannon.

This can be a controversial topic, although while not perfect, this board handles stuff like this better than others. I have heard Dozier mention his faith in passing before. It seems to be a sincere part of who he is, and when he has mentioned it, it has seemed to have been an organic part of the conversation and not something he is forcing into it. At this article he was speaking at an event where this was the subject matter. I don't think Dozier is going to be causing any problems unless all of a sudden his baseball skills plummet.

7. These 2 users like D. Hocking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-11-2014), snepp (05-11-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Just wow!
    Wow upside down is of course, Mom. That works.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

9. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

D. Hocking (05-11-2014)

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post

Did you know Dozier was a Christian before this? I don't get post-game stuff on MLB.TV so I haven't seen that many interviews of Dozier.
    Yes, I did. And I loved this story about his faith in action:

http://msn.foxsports.com/north/story...-dozier-020214

That's the type of "testimonial" I prefer.

(And that doesn't mean that non-Christians can't and don't do wonderful service projects. It's just that I prefer to see people put their efforts -- and their money -- in action instead of mere words.)

11. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-11-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    I am an atheist, but greatly respect those with other beliefs. I think people should share their stories and beliefs. I think people should not take away others' freedoms based on their beliefs, however. that's as far as I'll tiptoe....
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I am an atheist, but greatly respect those with other beliefs. I think people should share their stories and beliefs. I think people should not take away others' freedoms based on their beliefs, however. that's as far as I'll tiptoe....
    As a Christian, I applaud your post, "can't we just all, get along"?

Life is short, enjoy what you have. And if, you throw "stones" hope it has a great hook, as the Twins need it

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    People certainly have a right to speak about their religious views, and I have a right to hope they get to talking about the game or their playing of the game. If an athlete appears on Pat Robertson's show or at the pulpit of a local church, those are great places to talk about religion. In fact, those would be weird places to talk about changing batting stances or being more aggressive in running the bases (except as a parable to the religious lesson). However, if you're talking in the ballpark or in your short TV interview before, after or during the game, I want to hear about what happened, is happening or what to expect to happen in the game and how you are playing, ailing or whatever. I don't want to hear about religion - And I say that in accordance with my First Amendment rights (freedom of speech) - Just my opinion.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "And then the Lord looked down from heaven and saw that what he created was good and he gave Rick Anderson dominion over all the Twins pitchers. And to Rick he said "pitch to contact" and all will be forgiven."

-Anderson 1:45

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    After watching the Michael Sam publicity, I figured out what bothers me. It's not just the Christian athletes. I really think the TV, radio and written commentary spends too much time on the "up close and personal". It seems like it's at least half of the Olympic coverage. I'm getting sick of the TV broadcast cutting away to the family, wife or girlfriend, the gay straight or parental kiss of the boyfriend/girlfriend/child, the religious views of a player, the philanthropy of a player, bringing the players' kids out on the field . . . A little bit can be illuminating, but I really want to watch the game and commentary on the games and players (more stats and less fluff)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Agreed. Sports is too much about the fluff, and not enough about the sports, for my taste. Especially the Olympics. Kind of like "The Voice"....half of that show is the human interest stuff. I don't care about that. I care about the singing. But, as I understand it, millions of USAians do care about that stuff......so I just turn the channel more now.

The Sam publicity is ever so slightly different, though, since we are in the middle of a change in public policy and acceptance......I think that story is a bit different than other kinds of fluff. Frankly, I wish more athletes would care about politics and try to help make the world a better place, instead of trying to make millions more by selling shoes to poor kids.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just wanted to share one of my favorite, REAL, possibly baseball-related bible verses, Judges 20:16

Among all this people there were seven hundred chosen men lefthanded; every one could sling stones at an hair breadth, and not miss.

19. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (05-13-2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12