Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins Claim Erik Komatsu, DFA Clete Thomas

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 150 Times in 75 Posts
    When I saw that Komatsu was available, I thought "Why not?" At this point, he can't be any worse than Clete Thomas was.

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This move is akin to changing out the cupholders in your Aztek.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He has more upside than Thomas (and is better), but Komatsu needs more time in the minors and unfortunately we can't stash him there. I think Mastroianni should have been promoted instead of this signing. He fills the role much better and is on fire in AAA.

Judging strictly by the first dozen Komatsu Tweets, it seems like he and Danny V are gonna be besties.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    I have no problem taking a shot with a young guy who still has potential. The team might get lucky, even so, OF is one spot where the team actually does have multiple options. However this probably speaks volumes as to how the Twins feel about Trevor Plouffe's future and maybe Ben Revere's too. This is the second time the Twins have picked up a waiver-wire dump off, instead of giving either of those players a real shot at a full time gig. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I don't think anyone can get a fair read on Plouffe if he can't get more than a couple days at a time getting starts at the same position.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I don't think anyone can get a fair read on Plouffe if he can't get more than a couple days at a time getting starts at the same position.
    Plouffe is having trouble getting a read on those balls hit to him in the outfield... I think that's the issue... Outside of 2011, Plouffe has nothing in his minor league stats that suggests he is some great talent that just needs time... I think we've seen the top of the Plouffe mountian and the view ain't that great... Komatsu at least has a minor league history of strong play, suggesting he has potential...

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glanzer View Post
    Judging strictly by the first dozen Komatsu Tweets, it seems like he and Danny V are gonna be besties.
    Yikes.... Well, at least he has confidence....

Am I not understanding the rule, why wasnt WASH first given the right to take him back for the 25K before he was placed on waivers??
    Are we sure they didnt take him back AND then St Lou tried to get him thru waivers to avoid an option??

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,176 Times in 1,688 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    they could've possibly shipped him to the Red Sox for Bowden
    Didn't realize it was possible, but I endorse this potential acquisition. 220px-Katrina_Bowden.jpg

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    When I saw that Komatsu was available, I thought "Why not?" At this point, he can't be any worse than Clete Thomas was.
    True. He can't be any worse than Clete Thomas and given that he is 4 years younger than Thomas and has put up excellent numbers in the minors without ever having played at AAA, he just might end up being a good player at the major league level.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    We are going to stash a Rule 5 guy, so at least Terry Ryan knows we are rebuilding and can start to do some things with the roster. Right now I think Span is only proven tradeable asset we have. He needs to be traded while his value is high and lets get some young starting pitching for him. I would love to see Francisco and Pavano pitch better, so they would have some value.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What's the deal here with him being a Rule V pick?! I don't understand how he's not back with Washington after this and how the Twins could even claim him then?
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarais66 View Post
    Plouffe is having trouble getting a read on those balls hit to him in the outfield... I think that's the issue... Outside of 2011, Plouffe has nothing in his minor league stats that suggests he is some great talent that just needs time... I think we've seen the top of the Plouffe mountian and the view ain't that great... Komatsu at least has a minor league history of strong play, suggesting he has potential...
    I agree, I ripped the organiztion for striking out on the Plouffe pick for years. He doesn't look to be anything other than bench option. His defense isn't very good but the club knew that coming into the year. Still they were really trumpeting him this spring with Gardy implying that he was the favorite for the RF job. Plouffe's not my first choice, or even second for RF, I just think they have mis-managed the situation seeing as Gardy and Ryan seemed very high on him a month ago. No one seems to have a game plan at this point and there have been several knee-jerk reactions. These are the signs of a front office and coaching staff in desperation.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    What's the deal here with him being a Rule V pick?! I don't understand how he's not back with Washington after this and how the Twins could even claim him then?
    If you don't want the Rule 5 player you drafted, you can waive or trade that player, but the Rule 5 status follows that player to the next team... If no one else takes the player, you can offer him back to the team he came from...

Quote Originally Posted by gmarais66 View Post
    If you don't want the Rule 5 player you drafted, you can waive or trade that player, but the Rule 5 status follows that player to the next team... If no one else takes the player, you can offer him back to the team he came from...
    i was unsure, but figured it out after thinking bout it a few minutes. Needs to be active for 90 days & can be stashed on DL for the remainder (if a team would try) but on the MLB version of the roster all yr.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    He only gets offered back to Washington if he doesn't clear waivers.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 155 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I actually did a bit more research:
    He hit .323/.413/.442 in A+ in 2010 and was the Brewers MiLB player of the year. And that was FSL, so it projects. Last season he had a .294/.393/.416 line in AA Huntsville before traded to the Nats at the deadline. Projects as a CF and leadoff hitter.

Revere and Mastro did not do anything that good at those levels (well, Mastro might this season but he is oldest). The fact that he is actually a prospect and CFer makes me think that a. the Twins do not think much about Revere and b. Span might be going sooner than later
    And maybe...
    c. The Twins realize they might as well be collecting guys for the future, cuz this season is toast. That's a little harsh, but these are the kinds of moves that a team looking to the future would make.

I got to watch Komatsu during his rookie campaign with the Brewers and think this is a great move. (I'm not a scout but I saw that) He was a good outfield defender and a hitter with good discipline and power (at least at this level). He doesn't have the speed of Hicks or Revere but much more power potential. We have to have something to get excited about this season.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On base guy who generally walks more than he strikes out. That much is good. I don't like not being able to stash him at AAA for a few months, but whatever.

Liked 684 Times in 358 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinVike61 View Post
    I got to watch Komatsu during his rookie campaign with the Brewers and think this is a great move. (I'm not a scout but I saw that) He was a good outfield defender and a hitter with good discipline and power (at least at this level). He doesn't have the speed of Hicks or Revere but much more power potential. We have to have something to get excited about this season.
    I share your hope for someone new who can make the team better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast