Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins Claim Erik Komatsu, DFA Clete Thomas

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Claim Erik Komatsu, DFA Clete Thomas

The Twins claimed 24 year old OF Erik Komatsu and Designated Clete Thomas for Assignment. Also, Sean Burroughs cleared waivers and was outrighted to AAA Rochester.

He was the Cardinals' Rule 5 pick and made the opening day roster. However, he has just four hits in 19 at bats. No surprise considering he played in AA last year with the Brewers and then the Nationals (after being traded in a deadline deal). He will need to remain on the Twins roster or be offered back to the Nationals.

Clete Thomas made a strong first impression with the Twins, hitting a ball to the warning track in his first AB against Neftali Feliz and then homering to deep right field in his second at bat. Since then, he has put up some very impressive strikeout numbers.

Burroughs was signed to a minor league contract and got just 18 at bats with the Twins before being DFAd earlier this week.

Feel free to discuss.

Erik Komatsu.jpg
    Last edited by Seth Stohs; 05-04-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    seeya clete.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    .211/.286/.211 with the Cardinals this season. LHB can play all 3 OF positions. Speed not much power. 24 years old. I really do not see what he has over someone like Revere or Mastroianni...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

The Erik Komatsu era has begun.

Liked 131 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    .211/.286/.211 with the Cardinals this season. LHB can play all 3 OF positions. Speed not much power. 24 years old. I really do not see what he has over someone like Revere or Mastroianni...
    Agreed. I don't know what to think when baseball-reference lists him as a pinch hitter first.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ampaign=Linker

On a positive note, we don't have to deal with Clete Thomas anymore.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting, We'll see what happens.
    I bent my wookie...

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Erik Komachu's twitter account is @KomoBeatz FYI
    -----

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Well, he had some pretty good minor league numbers.... At least for the moment, it's something to be hopeful about..... I guess it would be tough for him to be worse than Clete, who made Drew Butera look like Ted Williams... In all seriousness, I know Clete is a much better player than he showed in his time with the Twins, he just picked the worst time possible to go into a horrible slump... He'll likely get a chance somewhere else and hopefully he can turn things around... At least Ryan is not letting the bad eggs rot on the shelf... He's dumping them and trying to find one that doesn't stink...
    Last edited by gmarais66; 05-04-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I don't know what to think when baseball-reference lists him as a pinch hitter first.
    I think that's because the majority of his appearances with the Cardinals were as a pinch hitter...
    Last edited by gmarais66; 05-04-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,199 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarais66 View Post
    I think that's because in five of his seven appearances with the Cardinals, he came into the game as a replacement player...
    Yeah, looks like B-R automates everything they can. And in his major league career, PH is what he's been, according to his game log. He's had more than seven appearances, though.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Rule 5 guy who had never played above AA. So I don't care about the 19 at bats in the big leagues. Revere and Mastroianni provide very little, so hopefully in a year or two, this guy can be good... (Note - i don't anticipate it)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Yeah, looks like B-R automates everything they can. And in his major league career, PH is what he's been, according to his game log. He's had more than seven appearances, though.
    Pinch-hitting is what most Rule 5 guys that make a roster do. You try to hide him at the back of the bench or the back of the bullpen. The Twins aren't competing this year. it's ok to 'hide' guys on the bench for the future. And yeah, can't be any/much worse than Clete Thomas.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Rule 5 guy who had never played above AA. So I don't care about the 19 at bats in the big leagues. Revere and Mastroianni provide very little, so hopefully in a year or two, this guy can be good... (Note - i don't anticipate it)
    I actually did a bit more research:
    He hit .323/.413/.442 in A+ in 2010 and was the Brewers MiLB player of the year. And that was FSL, so it projects. Last season he had a .294/.393/.416 line in AA Huntsville before traded to the Nats at the deadline. Projects as a CF and leadoff hitter.

Revere and Mastro did not do anything that good at those levels (well, Mastro might this season but he is oldest). The fact that he is actually a prospect and CFer makes me think that a. the Twins do not think much about Revere and b. Span might be going sooner than later
    -----

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Maybe I am missing something, but if there is something that the Twins have, it is outfielders. Mastroianni and Revere could play similar roles. If you are going to take a fly, why not look for pitching?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adjacent View Post
    Maybe I am missing something, but if there is something that the Twins have, it is outfielders. Mastroianni and Revere could play similar roles. If you are going to take a fly, why not look for pitching?
    Was there a particular pitcher recently on the waiver wire that you're thinking of?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I like picking up young guys with some upside....much better idea than most of the decisions this year so far.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 1,590 Times in 793 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Pinch-hitting is what most Rule 5 guys that make a roster do. You try to hide him at the back of the bench or the back of the bullpen. The Twins aren't competing this year. it's ok to 'hide' guys on the bench for the future. And yeah, can't be any/much worse than Clete Thomas.
    Komatsu takes Clete's role, which is placeholder for Revere so Ben can play every day and possibly develop into a poor man's Denard Span. Then we can trade Span for the next Jeff Diamond and the next Clete Thomas...

Definitely worth taking a look at Komatsu. He's playing a bit over his head having never played AAA but was the Brewers minor league player of the year in 2010. Has much more upside than Clete.

Well, you have to keep him all year to keep him, or get $25,000 grand if he stinks (and no one else claims him). Still, can't quite understand...Carsom. Wilkin, Mastro...aren't they basically place setters.

I wish I really knew what the Twins think of Ben Revere. If they don't really see him in their future, they could've possibly shipped him to the Red Sox for Bowden, which would've been a lopsided deal...except if the Twin s don't really see Revere in their future.

he again, they are hanging onto #1 draft pick Trevor Plo
    uffe and squandering him in the utility role.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Twins sent 3B Sean Burroughs outright to Triple-A Rochester.

He cleared waivers and has accepted his assignment. Burroughs managed just two hits in 17 at-bats with the Twins but might get another shot at some point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast