Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Minor League Report (May 10): Rock Cats Bats Rock

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Minnesota Twins Minor League Report (May 10): Rock Cats Bats Rock

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Looks like it will be awhile before Meyer comes up after his recent outings.

Ugh. This was a disappointing read. Seriously...Vargas is the only true positive out of this it feels like

Vargas needs to move up to AAA in my opinion. The guy is ready. Meyer is the epitome of frustration. How can you be so dominant and then so mediocre.

Seth (or Jeremy): Any clue on why Brett Lee went 10 days without an appearance and now came out of the pen?? He certainly didn't pitch his way out of the rotation with his April starts.

I feel like this has been a very disappointing minor league season to date. We were hyped on the strength of our minors and it seems that with our two best position prospects yet to play (significantly), it has been a lack luster season. Our low-minors pitching has been deflating. Landa has come out of the pen, Eades is mediocre, Wimmers is getting blown up, and we have not gotten to see Gansalves or Thorpe. Someone talk me off the ledge please! I'll give us this, Slegers is nice, Mildren too, and Berios is hanging in there.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by benji21 View Post
    I feel like this has been a very disappointing minor league season to date. We were hyped on the strength of our minors and it seems that with our two best position prospects yet to play (significantly), it has been a lack luster season. Our low-minors pitching has been deflating. Landa has come out of the pen, Eades is mediocre, Wimmers is getting blown up, and we have not gotten to see Gansalves or Thorpe. Someone talk me off the ledge please! I'll give us this, Slegers is nice, Mildren too, and Berios is hanging in there.
    First off, welcome to TD. Stop by the rookies and lurkers thread in the main forum and introduce yourself.

I think your pessimism of the farm system is a bit off base. The injury bug certainly hit Buxton and Sano, but it doesn't suddenly mean these guys are not good prospects. Thorpe and Gonsalves will likely both be in Cedar Rapids yet this year but are in EST largely because of a lack of room for them. The fact that we are having these conversations about both of them being in CR is impressive given that highschool draftees typically get 2 years in rookie ball before they make low A. Thorpe graduates from HS this summer. Eades has actually been decent (other than yesterday), and while I don't really hold out hope for Wimmers, he was the victim of 5 errors the other day. On the flip side, Parmelee seems to have gotten back on track. Vargas is showing more and more that he's a legit prospect. Darnell has gotten steadily better over the last couple of seasons and looks like he can be a mid-rotation guy. May is looking like he's going to stick as a starter. Polanco might find himself in the top 50 on most lists in the near future. All isn't lost.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smcginnity View Post
    Ugh. This was a disappointing read. Seriously...Vargas is the only true positive out of this it feels like

Vargas needs to move up to AAA in my opinion. The guy is ready. Meyer is the epitome of frustration. How can you be so dominant and then so mediocre.
    Vargas has had two tremendous weeks, let's let him keep it up for awhile. Meyer will be fine, but like every other pitcher, he'll have his ups and downs.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Sano, Rosario and Buxton have been a huge disappointment so far though partly out of their hands. On the flip side, Santana has been a pleasant surprise as has Pino and Darnell. May isn't far off and if Meyer has a season or two of Liriano like performance it wouldn't be so bad. By that I mean a couple quality starts for every one or two clunkers. Gibson is showing us he can be effective some days and not so effective others. Nothing new here. Hendrik dominated every day in the minors. Meyer hasn't. I would still take Meyer's chances in the bigs. Levi Michael is maybe re- ermerging as a prospect and Polanco is continuing to emerge. Really tired of hearing injuries that are not considered serious because they almost always seem to end up that way.

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm with you, benji21. I really feel that regardless of reasoning that can be adhered to for the minor league teams not doing well, that one of the top 3 rated minor league systems should also get wins as a team in a team sport along with the development. I am also surprised that is not happening. Talent is one thing, but the real talent in a team sport....... is winning as a team.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see benji21 as pessimistic. We were ranked 1st, 2nd, or 3rd best minor league system by pretty much anybody who put together a list.

It's a pretty big downer when you have no production from #1, #2, and wherever you rank Rosario.

Meyer has shown a few night games and Vargas is doing well enough he could get a promotion (AAA or MLB) by as early as late July...

The other top farm system teams?

Just a few small samples...

Pirates lost Taillon for the season to TJ, however they have the NL's ROY hitting .395 in AAA.

The Cardinals are struggling hitting and Tavares and Piscotty are hitting .320-ish with great plate discipline at AAA.

The Astros brought up Springer after he was killing AAA. Singleton, also at AAA, is leading the ML's in HRs and will be up with the big club by mid June/early July.

The Cubs would be the other 'top farm system' in the mix. Baez has struggled, however Bryant is killing it at AA as are other top prospects in their system. He gets his K rates down a little and he'll be in the bigs soon.

So some of it is we'd have guys knocking on promotions. So far the only promotion is Santana. And I hope it isn't short lived.

I guess I feel that's more of a report than a downer/pessimism. But I suppose it could be taken that way too.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Thorpe graduates from HS this summer.
    Thanks for this bit of perspective. The Twins are doing the right thing keeping him in EST. Imagine trying to finish high school while traveling all over the midwest living out of a suitcase.