Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are we now?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries

Where are we now?

The Twins have played 36 games, that is 2/9ths of their schedule. They've won 17 games and would project to win about 76.5 games, a nice little improvement. The team has been without two of their projected sluggers--Willingham and Arcia--and suffered through a disastrous run of starting pitching early.

The team relied on a reclamation project (Kubel), a journeyman catcher, a rookie, and whatever Trevor Plouffe is for key hits. It worked great early, but these guys, except for the catchers have fallen off the cliff of late.

From what I can tell, the Twins have played a really tough schedule. They've played mostly teams with winning records last year and spent a lot of time on the road. Their home schedule has been highlighted by lousy weather and good teams.

Given their tough schedule and the concentration of injuries to corner OFs, I am satisfied that there is improvement. I don't think they are a .500 team, but there should be improvement over the last three years' dismal performance. While there isn't much help available in the minors, there are a few live arms in the upper minors. It could be that the Twins could flip some arms in their pitching staff for future help and still put out a representative team.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins have veteran place holders who are solid (Suzuki, Mauer, Willingham, Kubel, Nolasco, Hughes, most bullpen members, Corriea as a 5th starter, . The key to this point and more so through out the season will be how the younger players produce as they start coming up. (Colabello, though not young, Tonkin, Thielbar, Logan, Santana, Pinto, Escobar, Dozier, and soon to come Meyer and Vargas)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 131 Times in 81 Posts
    they are better than last year but still not very good.

I can't wait for next year's offseason debate when the Twins end up with the 11th/12th pick and would have to forfeit it to sign any notable FA.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    11th/12th? I'm still predicting top 5.

The Stros and Cubs are locks to finish worse than the Twins. Otherwise it should be a barn burner...Mets, Marlins, Padres, and the Chi Sox should contend.
    Last edited by Fatt Crapps; 05-12-2014 at 01:17 AM.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    I'm still comfortable with my "under" pick for the Twins.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

6. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Halsey Hall (05-12-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had them placed in the 71-73 win area and nothing has really changed my opinion. They'll be better than last season but still pretty bad.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think 75-80 wins is out of the question. With how weak out division is it's a possibility.
    I bent my wookie...

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernzy View Post
    I don't think 75-80 wins is out of the question. With how weak out division is it's a possibility.
    It's definitely a possibility, though it will require better play from Gibson and Corriea/May/Meyer to get there. Right now, the team isn't good enough to crack .500 for an entire season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    The team seems to me to be right on the edge of being great. They've got several players that overperformed in the early going, but are now showing their age (both versions - old age for guys like Kubel and inexperience for some of the young players). The old guys are just getting older, and the young guys aren't there yet.

They've been fun (if a bit frustrating) to watch this year.

It's not ideal to be stuck in a holding pattern, waiting for the prospects to develop and fielding a roster of spare parts, but compared to the last few seasons, it's been an encouraging season.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Sticking with the 72 or so wins (I think) I predicted pre-season. Meyer/May aren't coming up soon, and Gibson/KC have been meh. They essentially have zero OF on the 25 man roster right now. At some point, that is going to catch up to a team. The Sano/Buxton/Rosario situations this year have been total buzz kills to my hopes for the 2nd half.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I liked my mid 70's win projection before the season and I haven't seen much to make me deviate from that number. They're playing an absolutely brutal early schedule and haven't been blown off the map yet. So long as they keep treading water at or near (within 3 games or so) .500 during this tough opening stretch, I think they'll finish at 75 wins.

13. These 2 users like iTwins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (05-12-2014), diehardtwinsfan (05-12-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 131 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Crapps View Post
    11th/12th? I'm still predicting top 5.

The Stros and Cubs are locks to finish worse than the Twins. Otherwise it should be a barn burner...Mets, Marlins, Padres, and the Chi Sox should contend.
    They are better than 66 wins which is needed for top 5. 75 wins gets them to the 11th/12th pick. that's in reach but I feel more comfortable predicting a few wins lower.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 659 Times in 371 Posts
    If you look past the surface, it's hard not to see 17-19 as borderline miraculous. Especially given some of their own self-imposed problems to go with a few injuries. (Which happens to everyone by the way)

The key to me is how much longer they can keep picking up wins like yesterday. I can think of a handful of games already that I thought they didn't deserve to get a W but were given one by the opposing team's incompetence. Kudos to the Twins for getting those wins (that's the Twins Way TM, afterall) but I'm not sure how much longer that will keep happening.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    If you look past the surface, it's hard not to see 17-19 as borderline miraculous. Especially given some of their own self-imposed problems to go with a few injuries. (Which happens to everyone by the way)
    Well, they're 5th in the AL in runs scored and 13th in ERA. That sounds a lot like a 17-19 record overall and their expected pythag is indeed 17-19.

But... It's unlikely they remain anywhere near 5th in runs scored as the year progresses. On the other hand, it's also unlikely that they remain 13th in team ERA given that Deduno, Hughes, and Nolasco are now in the rotation and pitching well enough to stay in games.

I think the team is a low 70s win team, just as I did before the season. Whether they drop below or rise above that depends on injuries and how much Meyer and/or May contribute this season.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
    This has just been a much more entertaining team to watch this year. Last year was just awful. Consider we've only used 6 starters (not counting Kris Johnson's double header start). The arms have stayed relatively healthy and even the ones with higher ERA's have had enough good starts mixed in to make them useful. I'm confident that Nolasco and Hughes will keep it up and anchor this rotation. Still hopeful that Gibson can get that K rate up at some point here. If he does that he could really settle into a nice groove. If not, he may be the return of Nick Blackburn. (hopefully the 4.00 ERA version, not the I can't handle AA bats one). I like that we have young guys that are hopefully more than just AAAA arms at AAA in Meyer, May and Darnell this year. Makes me more confident that we can replace guys.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts

The key to me is how much longer they can keep picking up wins like yesterday. I can think of a handful of games already that I thought they didn't deserve to get a W but were given one by the opposing team's incompetence. Kudos to the Twins for getting those wins (that's the Twins Way TM, afterall) but I'm not sure how much longer that will keep happening.
    Incompetence is a two-way street, though, so I do have to give the Twins credit for not giving away as many games as their opposition has. Especially last week when the Twins were fielding injury-necessitated lineups that had no business being competitive. The fact that they won any of those games is impressive to me.

19. This user likes Kirby_Waved_At_Me's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (05-12-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 659 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Well, they're 5th in the AL in runs scored and 13th in ERA. That sounds a lot like a 17-19 record overall and their expected pythag is indeed 17-19.
    Sure, but they've also had unusual luck with their opponents making ridiculous plays in the field and handing them wins. Again, it's a credit to the Twins that they won those games, but that doesn't diminish the fact that those sorts of wins aren't to be counted on.

This is a team that does deserve a little good luck, but it could easily be 15-21 right now and we're talking a 67 win team projecting. (And this is completely bias probably, but I don't feel like I'm watching anything close to a .500 team. The record just feels like an illusion)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    This is a team that does deserve a little good luck, but it could easily be 15-21 right now and we're talking a 67 win team projecting. (And this is completely bias probably, but I don't feel like I'm watching anything close to a .500 team. The record just feels like an illusion)
    They could also be 19-17 if they reversed just two or three few idiotic plays in the field. That's just baseball. They've looked bad at times (the Dodgers and Cleveland series) and then they turn around and play the Tigers straight-up in Detroit. They're a middling-to-bad team and to me, that's exactly how they've looked thus far. They've looked entirely incompetent and then turned around and looked like an 85 win team the next day.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    But... It's unlikely they remain anywhere near 5th in runs scored as the year progresses. On the other hand, it's also unlikely that they remain 13th in team ERA given that Deduno, Hughes, and Nolasco are now in the rotation and pitching well enough to stay in games.
    But... that 13th ERA rank (actually 14th this morning?) already includes Hughes pitching very well, as well as Deduno at 75% of a starting role, and a fair amount of Gibson pitching above his K/BB peripherals. The rank already reflects that. How much will the overall rank improve with just Nolasco's improvement (and Correia's, hopefully)?

Still, should be better, but how much? Could we stabilize around ~10th rank in both runs scored and runs allowed?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    But... that 13th ERA rank (actually 14th this morning?) already includes Hughes pitching very well, as well as Deduno at 75% of a starting role, and a fair amount of Gibson pitching above his K/BB peripherals. The rank already reflects that. How much will the overall rank improve with just Nolasco's improvement (and Correia's, hopefully)?

Still, should be better, but how much? Could we stabilize around ~10th rank in both runs scored and runs allowed?
    I think the Twins will end up somewhere just south of mediocrity. Probably 8-11th in ERA. In May, they're 9th in the AL in ERA. I think that's close to what we can expect for the season if the rotation stays somewhat healthy.

Pelfrey was absolutely atrocious. He has been replaced by Deduno, who posted slightly above average numbers last year and looks like the same guy this year. Nolasco was awful and has since turned it around and looked like Ricky Nolasco in his past two starts. Hughes was punished early and has now started looking like an above average pitcher, which is what I expected from him.

Gibson needs to turn it around or he'll be well below average after getting lucky in early starts. He's the big regression candidate. How he and Correia (or whomever replaces one of them) pitches is the difference between a 70 win team and a 75 win team, in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast