Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Black Hole

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,265 Times in 677 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    Hicks just got a week off and no rehab because they were shorthanded. Give him a couple games to knock off the rust.
    Knock the rust off of what? The slick, well oiled hitting machine he was before the injury?

2. These 6 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-12-2014), mike wants wins (05-12-2014), Mr. Brooks (05-12-2014), Sconnie (05-12-2014), snepp (05-12-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (05-12-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    I'm mostly joking with this . . . mostly.
    Think of the roster flexibility!!!

4. This user likes amjgt's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-12-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    DeRosa can play CF...just sayin
    Did he get a turbocharger on his wheelchair?

6. These 2 users like stringer bell's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (05-12-2014), snepp (05-12-2014)

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    Rasmus from Toronto was being shopped wasn't he? Wonder what that would cost.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, if Buxton ever gets healthy, there's no one standing in his way.

9. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-13-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 652 Times in 366 Posts
    If we're looking outside the organization, I put in a big vote for Bourjos.

Hicks and Dozier aren't a good comp either because Dozier was sent down for two months in 2012 to get things straight. Hicks hasn't had that taste and then uninterrupted time back down in AAA to get things right. I think at this point it's a necessity.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I don't see how Hicks doesn't get sent down at this point. .
    Because he is the only CF glove the Twins have from the majors to High A. Fuld is not a centerfielder. He can back up there, but...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Well, if Buxton ever gets healthy, there's no one standing in his way.
    Other than himself. Based on Spring Training and AFL, he really needs to show that he can hit at least AA pitchers (and he hasn't so far.) Hicks has proven that he can do that. What happens if Buxton gets called up and he pulls a Florimon on the plate (which is very likely?) Not a good thing for anyone.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Because he is the only CF glove the Twins have from the majors to High A. Fuld is not a centerfielder. He can back up there, but...
    If there is a single meaningful defensive metric that doesn't show Fuld as somewhere between 'roughly equal to' and 'substantially better than' Hicks, it has eluded me.

Hicks is more athletic and still has the potential to be a fine defensive CF, but until his reads and routes improve he's just not very good.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    *NOTE TO MODERATORS: THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT AT "THREAD-JACKING"

What if the Twins had just not brought Jason Bartlett north with the club thereby exposing Alex Presley to waiver claims (and maybe saving Mastro in the long run too). Yes there is a hole at CF, but that's what happens when you trade not one but TWO major league caliber CFs in one off-season. Hicks was a gamble, and that hasn't worked out, but I'm not sure he's a bust just yet.

15. This user likes Paul Pleiss's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (05-12-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Perkins to LA... Should net us a lot more than Ethier... A lot More.

The Dodgers would have the paperwork done and submitted to the league office before the Twins hung up the phone.

Think Joc Pederson... Dee Gordon... Corey Seager or Zach Lee or pass.

I don't know if the Dodgers would part with any of those guys but that's the only place the conversation about Perkins should be.
    Are you trying to balance the Perk/Ethier idea by going just as far the opposite way?
    I like Perk as much as anyone, but unless Bill Smith is now in charge of the Dodgers, you are not getting an elite spec like Pederson or Seager for what would be the Dodgers LH setup man.

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Did he get a turbocharger on his wheelchair?
    We seniors prefer the term 'mobility aid'.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,265 Times in 677 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    *NOTE TO MODERATORS: THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT AT "THREAD-JACKING"

What if the Twins had just not brought Jason Bartlett north with the club thereby exposing Alex Presley to waiver claims (and maybe saving Mastro in the long run too). Yes there is a hole at CF, but that's what happens when you trade not one but TWO major league caliber CFs in one off-season. Hicks was a gamble, and that hasn't worked out, but I'm not sure he's a bust just yet.
    Not sure why that would even be perceived as a thread jack. Anyway, Presley and Mastro are Fuld 2.0 and 2.1, actually a little worse. Hicks was a gamble, maybe a poor one but given the teams competitive level at the time of the trades I'm still ok with May and Meyer as return for Span and Revere, they needed the pitching depth. Both of them should be key pieces in the Twins next competitive team with Buxton in CF.
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 05-12-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    I'm still ok with May and Meyer as return for Span and Revere, they needed the pitching depth. Both of them should be key pieces in the Twins next competitive team with Buxton in CF.
    I agree completely. I wasn't trying to say the trades of Span/Revere were bad moves. I liked them both individually and as key parts to what I'd call a successful off-season. It was definitely a gamble. Presley, Mastro, Fuld, may all be roughly the same player, but losing Presley and Mastro becasue of Bartlett and his "super utility" tag is a tough pill to swallow having watched the Twins throw just about anyone with a pulse out to play OF for the last week.

Hopefully Buxton's wrist heals and he can get up to AA before the season runs it's course. There isn't a lot in the system between him and the Twins CF job. Hopefully Aaron Hicks can figure it out and bridge the gap (I feel like we've all be reading/saying this for awhile now...). That's a lot of hope for Bux and Hicks, but being a Twins fan these days requires a heavy dose of hope and optomism.

20. These 2 users like Paul Pleiss's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-12-2014), twinsnorth49 (05-12-2014)

Liked 2,276 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Are you trying to balance the Perk/Ethier idea by going just as far the opposite way?
    I like Perk as much as anyone, but unless Bill Smith is now in charge of the Dodgers, you are not getting an elite spec like Pederson or Seager for what would be the Dodgers LH setup man.
    Nope... I'm saying that's what I'd consider... If the Dodgers aren't interested... Then... No need to make a call.

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Santana has the same skills as Bonifacio. Fast, switch hitting, middle infielder by trade, converted outfielder at age 23. He won't read balls off the bat as well as an everyday outfielder but I think he has enough speed to make up for some of that and ultimately put up near-average level defense in the OF (like Bonifacio).

If he continues to get on base, he could be a real roster saver as a backup to everyone but catcher.

There's a golden opportunity here.
    we're back to the Dozier debate, robbing Peter to pay Paul. I'd rather see Santana be given every opportunity to lock down SS and use other resources such as trade or FA to shore up OF.
    Last edited by Sconnie; 05-12-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I vote no on the Perk for Ethier trade. I'm not opposed to trading Perk...I just think we can get more for Perk. Like maybe Span...or Revere...or Go Go Gomez...or Hardy...or Cuddy...or Garza...or Liriano...or Ramos...or Hunter...etc. Yikes we have gotten rid of some good players.

Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheeltwinsfan View Post
    I vote no on the Perk for Ethier trade. I'm not opposed to trading Perk...I just think we can get more for Perk. Like maybe Span...or Revere...or Go Go Gomez...or Hardy...or Cuddy...or Garza...or Liriano...or Ramos...or Hunter...etc. Yikes we have gotten rid of some good players.
    There are a lot of former Twins finding high levesl of success for other clubs, and it's not always easy to swallow that pill.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zchrz View Post
    Rasmus from Toronto was being shopped wasn't he? Wonder what that would cost.
    Toronto was looking for starting pitching. I wonder if Correia could have done it, but I think Toronto solved their issue with a AAAA free agent

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Fuld has looked way more competent than Hicks, both fielding and hitting. I'm sure Hicks can get the ship righted, were he given the time in AAA to do so, but it's been ugly.

27. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-12-2014)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast