Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: The Emergence of Kennys Vargas

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Pinto can play catcher just fine. Plenty of good hitting catchers field no better than him. Sano could move to RF potentially, but we are years from worrying about that. Parmalee? I don't think we need to worry about him clogging the path to the majors. Arcia? No need to move him off of RF for a few years either. That leaves Rosario.....not worried. They'll either find a spot for him, or move him.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Since he is on the forty...we will see him in September, but might we see him earlier?
    Since he's on the 40, he can be called up anytime somone is sent down or put on the DL. He's also automatically eligible for a September callup, which I'd imagine he's going to get. I'd hazard a guess that if Mauer had gone on the DL that he would have been on the short list of names to call for a cup of coffee.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good hitting is like good pitching. You can never have enough. With that said, We have the following depth coming up over the next 12months.

DH: Pinto, Vargas Colabello
    3B: Sano, Plouffe
    LF/RF: Kubel, Willingham, Arcia, Parmelee, Rosario,
    CF: Hicks, Buxton

Looks like Willingham and Kubel leave as FA. Colabello to the bench with maybe Parmelee or he is gone too and Hicks may need to go down and become a pitcher. Sano may not stick at 3b. so hopefully these newer prospects fare better.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by THE DFC View Post
    I'm excited about Vargas, but the amount of DH candidates we have coming up is a bit alarming.

Arcia is questionable in the field. As is Vargas. As is Pinto. As is Parmelee. Plus, there's the very real possibility that Sano won't stick at 3B, which is a problem given that Mauer is planted at 1B.

5 hitters with major potential right around the corner. This could get tricky. Hopefully, Pinto can stick as a near full-time C, Sano sticks at 3B and at least one of Arcia/Parmelee can hold down a corner OF spot. It would really be a luxury to have all of those guys producing and to be able to fit Vargas in at DH every day.

Then, we have to figure out where to put with Rosario with 3B/2B/DH/LF/RF potentially all covered...but that's a conversation for another time.

It's an interesting situation on the horizon. Lots of talented options, of course. Glad to see Vargas throw his hat into the ring.
    The worst case scenario is that they all work out with the bat and we have a surplus of guys who can OPS greater than .800 with ease, but are not good defenders. At that point, these guys can be traded for something of value.

If that doesn't happen, the situation will work itself out on its own whether it be for a developing glove or a prospect failing to make it in the majors. Honestly, I'm not terribly concerned about Parmelee, Pinto, or Arcia finding a spot for their gloves and I'm only mildly concerned about Sano, whom I suspect will be an issue more as he ages than when he first makes it. Parmelee is already an average defender in the corner, and Pinto's offense is good enough to offset the defensive liabilities that he has... but even with them, he doesn't seem clueless behind the plate.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It seems clear that a 2015-at-some-point player roster could be:

1B Mauer
    2B Polanco/Dozier
    3B Sano
    SS Dozier/Polanco
    C Pinto
    DH Vargas
    LF Rosario
    CF Buxton
    RF Hicks

Let's say Santana, Plouffe, Ortiz/maybe JD Williams, X catcher on the bench

Vargas fits in nicely as a switch-hitter in this scenario. He can get in minimal time at 1st base for spelling Mauer and DHing Pinto as well.

Imagine those positions working and a lineup of:

Buxton
    Mauer
    Sano
    Vargas
    Pinto
    Rosario
    Dozier
    Polanco
    Hicks

Note: this is leaving Arcia out at the moment for no good reason.

6. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Twins Fan From Afar (05-13-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    I have a feeling Hicks is not going to be the Twins starting RF in 2015.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Time to bench the vets and the guys who are clearly future non-contributors. With a full-time DH knocking on the door, this team HAS to finally get a definitive answer on Parmelee. No more time-sharing, no more options or DFA. Plug him in and see what happens. It should go without saying that Arcia needs full-time work and Colabello will always be walking a tightrope. If the team wants answers on these guys, Kubel and Willingham have to ride pine.
    I don't disagree but got to realize that Colabello is just a year younger than Kubel, has been stinking up the place recently and is as much part of the future as Kubel and Willingham. I would not mind seeing Vargas replacing him at this point.

9. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-13-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post

1B Mauer
    2B Polanco/Dozier
    3B Sano
    SS Dozier/Polanco
    C Pinto
    DH Vargas
    LF Rosario
    CF Buxton
    RF Hicks

Vargas fits in nicely as a switch-hitter in this scenario. He can get in minimal time at 1st base for spelling Mauer and DHing Pinto as well.

Buxton
    Mauer
    Sano
    Vargas
    Pinto
    Rosario
    Dozier
    Polanco
    Hicks

Sub Arcia for Hicks and Plouffe for Rosario and leave away Williams and especially Danny Ortiz (who I doubt will be with the organization in 2015) And this is pretty close. Polanco might be another season away and Escobar/Santana should be the SS till then.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Kennys Vargas is a WONDERFUL young man! He has a contagious laugh and is a fan favorite. The kids love him (he's just a large kid at heart)! Well mannered and he was very helpful to me when he stayed with me in Elizabethton. That was the season that Miguel Sano, Eddie Rosario, Jhonatan Arias, Jairo Rodriguez and Tyler Jones stayed here. I wish the best for him...he deserves it.
    Last edited by Madre Dos; 05-13-2014 at 07:19 PM.

12. This user likes Madre Dos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Thrylos (05-13-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post

1B Mauer
    2B Polanco/Dozier
    3B Sano
    SS Dozier/Polanco
    C Pinto
    DH Vargas
    LF Rosario
    CF Buxton
    RF Hicks

Buxton
    Mauer
    Sano
    Vargas
    Pinto
    Rosario
    Dozier
    Polanco
    Hicks

5 of mine in the starting line up - that would make for a GREAT trip to Minnesota!

A 20% k rate from a power hitter is pretty damn good to begin with. Even if he starts regressing towards that, anything below 20% from a hitter with his power is icing on the cake.

Count me in on the Vargas bandwagon. He's a guy I've been interested in but he's been around for a while. I was surprised to see he's only 23. Is he a top 10 prospect by the end of the season?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsbars08 View Post
    Count me in on the Vargas bandwagon. He's a guy I've been interested in but he's been around for a while. I was surprised to see he's only 23. Is he a top 10 prospect by the end of the season?
    For some of us, he already is a top 10 prospect...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

16. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Larsbars08 (05-13-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Larsbars08 View Post
    A 20% k rate from a power hitter is pretty damn good to begin with. Even if he starts regressing towards that, anything below 20% from a hitter with his power is icing on the cake.

On the subject of his K %, take a look at what he's done since 2009: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...1B/DH#advanced

I'll save you the click if you don't want to check fangraphs: 26.2; 25; 26.2; 22; 20.2; 16.2 (going into tonight's game).

So Vargas is definitely trending in the right direction.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    I will worry about the Twins having too many good DH's when the Twins actually have too many good HITTERS. Not everyone of those hitters will work out and I'm not convinced that most of them can't play somewhere in the field.

19. This user likes kab21's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-14-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 177 Times in 100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This guy.

Vargas really intrigues me as a future block for the new Twins foundation. And his play thus far at AA has me very encouraged.

Simply can't discount Arcia as a full time OF with his youth and relatively decent athleticism. He just needs time, experience and more coaching. And right now, full health. To me, right now, so far this season, his injury is right up there with Sano and Buxton being hurt. There are different reasons to like him in both corners. RF with his arm, LF if his potential never quite reaches reality defensively. And yet, more room to cover in LF for someone else.

Pinto at C, no problem. He's not bad there, just learning and growing and Suzuki doing a great job. Even better than expected. No good reason why a healthy, and steadily improving Sano can't stay at 3B.

My "dream" for this season, besides every Twins top prospect improving and growing overall, and Buxton just having a healthy and kick-butt season that would show he might be ready for 2015 (UGH!), was in 5 parts. #1 was a SS to emerge from somewhere. I believe the move to Escobar is long over due as well as encouraging. Santana's early promotion has been a huge surprise, even if it proves temporary. This one might actually be coming true. #2 was an OF, other than Arcia, to take a big step forward toward next season. (Again, other than Buxton) I had a hunch it could be Walker, but perhaps Parmelee could FINALLY be getting it. #3 was for Meyer, May or Darnell to be ready by the ASB. This might still happen.

#4 was for a "someone" to emerge. Regardless of position. Regardless of full time or just good all around productive player. Vargas just might be that guy.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    Hmm, Let say Below Average. Below Average glove and range. Meaning If Mauer is hurt, he could player there. But just like people dream of him having David Otriz production with the bat, they have nightmares about him being like Ortiz in the field.
    I wonder how many people remember that David Ortiz was named Baseball America's best defensive first baseman in 1997 when he was at New Britain.

22. This user likes Hawkeye12's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-14-2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12