Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Thread: Twins v Red Sox, 5/13 @ 7:10pm CT

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,948 Times in 1,139 Posts

Game Thread: Twins v Red Sox, 5/13 @ 7:10pm CT

Game-time forecast: Mostly clear. Winds blowing out to center field at 10-15 mph. Temperature near 55. (My game-time temperature is near 80. Very happy about that.)

Red Sox:
    SP, Peavy

Pedroia 2B
    Victorino RF
    Ortiz DH
    Napoli 1B
    Sizemore LF
    Pierzynski C
    Bogaerts SS
    Middlebrooks 3B
    Bradley CF

Twins:
    SP, Nolasco

Dozier 2B
    Mauer 1B
    Plouffe 3B
    Kubel LF
    Suzuki C
    Parmelee RF
    Nuñez DH
    Escobar SS
    Santana CF

-----------------------------------

Okay, Brian. You now have the floor. Take it away!
    ---------------------------------------

OK... But if I take away the Floor... Everybody standing on it will fall into the basement.

Things to Think About:

1. The Red Sox -- These guys are the reigning World Series Champions... The Curse of Babe Ruth is long gone. It was a team that went from the outhouse to the penthouse in a years time and they did so by shedding a bunch of high priced talent off the pay roll. The cupboard isn't bear at all... I don't want to leave that impression. They have a fantastic farm system and players who can play. The Red Sox are going to be a force to contend with... for years to come.

2. Santana CF -- This is a bit of a hot button topic. What do you do with a young moldable player like Danny Santana. Some feel it's crazy to take a SS in training and place him in the OF. Some feel it's crazy that we don't have an experienced backup in CF. Some feel that it's fine and that's where I am... It's fine... If it turns out that Santana can play a decent CF... That's good for the Twins and it's good for Santana. For light hitting guys like Santana... Being capable at multiple positions will increase his value. I don't think his SS days are over... He will get more time at the 6 Position and if he proves capable at the 8 position it's a good thing for Danny Santana.

3. Nolasco -- I don't know why it is... But whenever I read "Nolasco"... I think of Oreo's... Chips Ahoy... Ritz Crackers and Nutter Butters. Why is that?

4. David Ortiz -- OK... Let's think about Ortiz... The Twins acquired him from the Seattle Mariners for Dave Hollins in 1996. During his time in Minnesota... He wasn't the David Ortiz of today but he was decent while often injured. The Twins were really pinching pennies back then and David Ortiz figured to make 2 million in arbitration for the 2003 season. The front office had negotiations to deal with Jacque Jones and Torii Hunter and Doug Meintkewicz. Plus they had picked up a Rule 5 SS named Jose Morban. They needed to shed payroll and they needed a roster spot. Terry tried to trade Ortiz and found no takers and were forced to release him. In hindsight... it looks horrible. Ortiz didn't arrive in Boston and become an immediate superstar... close but not immediate. Even Boston wasn't sure what they had... He was signed as a bench bat and didn't get much playing time as Grady Little preferred Jeremy Giambi. Evenually... Giambi struggled and Ortiz was inserted and he didn't look back. In the end... It came down to Meintkewicz over Ortiz and Morban over Ortiz. There is no debate... It was a the wrong move. History has proven this... but... I'm not sure if it was cut and dried at the time. I'm not trying to open any old wounds... In the end... I'm just like David Ortiz... I was once let go in Cheyenne Wyoming and they felt bad about it. Those folks in Cheyenne are looking back at that day and regretting it now.

5. Arguments -- I read new research today that states... People who are prone to argue will die younger than those who are not. People who are apt to be quarrelsome are 2 to 3 times more likely to live shorter lives based on the data. My first thought... This isn't good news for some of the members of Twins Daily. My second thought... Even if I don't agree with this research... I don't want to challenge it with any counter arguments.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 05-13-2014 at 06:13 PM.

2. These 2 users like ChiTownTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-13-2014), Sconnie (05-13-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the Twins' chances tonight and Thursday.

Tomorrow? Maybe not so much. Then again, Doubront has been almost as bad as Correia.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    5 former or current shortstops in our starting lineup. What will Bert say about the best athletes on the field?

5. These 2 users like Hawkeye12's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-13-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (05-13-2014)

Showcase of two of the best 2B in the AL tonight. Let's see if Dozier makes a statement.

When can we expect to see Arcia back? Know he doesn't provide much relief in CF, but at least he is an outfielder.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 865 Times in 556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's a veritable shortstop Murderer's Row at the bottom of the order. It sure looks like Hicks might be on borrowed time- getting pulled on Sunday and out tonight- if/when Fuld passes his concussion test.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    It sure looks like Hicks might be on borrowed time- getting pulled on Sunday and out tonight- if/when Fuld passes his concussion test.
    He needs more time at AAA anyway.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slash129 View Post
    He needs more time at AAA anyway.
    Yeah... That's where I'm at. I like Hicks a lot... He has tools and a bunch of them.

I was just surprised that he didn't start this year in AAA and let him conquer Rochester and then... Give him a job as Club President.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,314 Times in 709 Posts
    Man, I really hate the Red Sox.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    OK, I'm bringing a special request for consideration. Could we have a game thread tonight that didn't spend time bashing/defending Rick Anderson, and just leave that to two-thirds of the other active threads? Somehow I think that would be ok, but if others disagree I will stand down.

I'm looking forward to a good start by Nolasco, and if I find out he played shortstop in high school I will not be at all surprised. I'll bet the majority of ML pitchers were either shortstops or centerfielders in high school, on days when they didn't pitch. Who's got an instinct on that?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by big dog View Post
    OK, I'm bringing a special request for consideration. Could we have a game thread tonight that didn't spend time bashing/defending Rick Anderson, and just leave that to two-thirds of the other active threads? Somehow I think that would be ok, but if others disagree I will stand down.

I'm looking forward to a good start by Nolasco, and if I find out he played shortstop in high school I will not be at all surprised. I'll bet the majority of ML pitchers were either shortstops or centerfielders in high school, on days when they didn't pitch. Who's got an instinct on that?
    I'm fine with not bashing Rick Anderson... I'd actually prefer not to... But... Can we still make fun of him?

13. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Gibby (05-13-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I'm fine with not bashing Rick Anderson... I'd actually prefer not to... But... Can we still make fun of him?
    Well, I certainly think the mustache is fair game. He's gotten a pass on that for too long.

15. This user likes big dog's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-13-2014)

Liked 931 Times in 568 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    I was once let go in Cheyenne Wyoming and they felt bad about it. Those folks in Cheyenne are looking back at that day and regretting it now.

I bought an Audi 5000s from Cheyenne in 1985. I bought it a week before I got married, so I'd have a sweet ride to drive my baby around in. What a money pit. The Audi not my baby. I wound up getting rear ended on 195. I kept the insurance payout and it helped contribute to the down payment on our first house. So, Cheyenne may appear to be a bad omen, but it had a silver lining for me.

Blog Entries
    Well, I certainly think the mustache is fair game. He's gotten a pass on that for too long.
    And why the shades during a night game?

18. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (05-13-2014)

I caught when I didn't pitch. I hated pitching, loved catching. I had to do it because we didn't have any other guys that could pitch worth a damn.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    I won't argue that. In fact I won't argue anything. I'm going to live a long life! Trouble with that is, I've been around a long time already.

21. These 3 users like Halsey Hall's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Gibby (05-13-2014), Riverbrian (05-13-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (05-13-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    I bought an Audi 5000s from Cheyenne in 1985. I bought it a week before I got married, so I'd have a sweet ride to drive my baby around in. What a money pit. The Audi not my baby. I wound up getting rear ended on 195. I kept the insurance payout and it helped contribute to the down payment on our first house. So, Cheyenne may appear to be a bad omen, but it had a silver lining for me.
    The Audi's are much better in Ft. Collins. They Sell 5,007's.

23. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Gibby (05-13-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    I caught when I didn't pitch. I hated pitching, loved catching. I had to do it because we didn't have any other guys that could pitch worth a damn.
    I had to pitch as well. I was terrible, I was just willing to do it and most guys weren't. Of course, I was terrible at everything so I couldn't afford to dislike pitching, since it at least got me on the field once in a while. You can guess how good our team was.

25. This user likes big dog's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (05-13-2014)

The Audi's are much better in Ft. Collins. They Sell 5,007's.
    They have a ton of great breweries too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    I won't argue that. In fact I won't argue anything. I'm going to live a long life! Trouble with that is, I've been around a long time already.
    (Clink of Glasses)

To You Halsey

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post

3. Nolasco -- I don't know why it is... But whenever I read "Nolasco"... I think of Oreo's... Chips Ahoy... Ritz Crackers and Nutter Butters. Why is that?
    Huh. And for me, must... have... Wheat Thins. And I don't even like them that much. There must be a scientific explanation for this.

29. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-13-2014)

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast