Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Loyalty vs Results

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts

Loyalty vs Results

While reading another gushing report about the positive impact Paul Molitor is having on the club this year, it finally dawned on me that this public adoration is almost certainly not doing the Twins any favors.

If Molly can keep the offense over-achieving near this current clip, no doubt his name is going to be a hot one once the annual MLB manager job fair rolls around next November. This is his first year in the dugout in about a decade, but getting credit for turning around this woeful offense will carry much clout. Surely his HOF resume and his place on the top 10 leader board for hits won't hurt either.

So what do the Twins do? If Molitor succeeds, likely so do the Twins, at least compared to recent seasons. This would likely mean Ron Gardenhire would also try to lay claim to the turnaround. Would the Twins really have the stones to ax Gardy and promote his underling if it is clear that Molitor was the true driving force behind the Twins (offensive) success?

Obviously I couldn't see this happening if Molitor's services are not in demand at season's end, but would they even consider such a move? I think they would not, even if every single player, coach, reporter and fan lined up outside of Terry Ryan's office and offered proof that Molitor was the best man for the job.

If it is clear come the off season that Molitor needs to stay but the Twins will have a hard time retaining him, my hope is that the Twins work out an agreement that he is the manager in waiting, and he will wait no later than the 2016 season, or simply, he will be asked to remain the bench coach for one additional season. From all reports, Gardy isn't ready to hang up his cleats, but of course the alternative might be less appealing.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A couple things to consider:

a. He will be 58 this August
    b. He made more than $40 million playing ball

So, really, he does not have to work and he does that because he chooses to do that. This does not mean that he will want to jump into a stressful manager position...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also, I heard rumblings that Molitor resisted coaching for many years because of the time and travel commitments (can't blame him!). I doubt he would jump quickly from his home state for a full-time managing gig elsewhere.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 177 Times in 100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Further, while a HUGE Molitor fan, Brunansky has a lot to do with the Twins success this season. Further, the past two weeks has seen a huge upturn in the production of our SP. That has nothing to do with Molitor.

This is no knock on Molitor, who I love and advocate as the next Twins manager, (slightly above Mauer and Dougie M or a reunion with Redmond possibly) but one full year on the bench, and his family callin the Twin Cities home makes it doubtful in my mind that he's going elsewhere. And yes, with Gardy having one more year on his contract, there is the possibility of either an understanding or possibility for Molitor.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Well Molitor did leave once. He became the Angels hitting coach when Gardy got the Twins gig over him. I think he did step away to spend more time with his family and now returned as his kids are no longer in the nest.

I really don't think he's jumping into coaching again simply to do the Twins a favor. I'm sure he has some ambitions. And this is baseball, not football. I doubt the manager puts in that much more time than the coaches.

Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

ambition?

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Well Molitor did leave once. He became the Angels hitting coach when Gardy got the Twins gig over him. I think he did step away to spend more time with his family and now returned as his kids are no longer in the nest.

I really don't think he's jumping into coaching again simply to do the Twins a favor. I'm sure he has some ambitions. And this is baseball, not football. I doubt the manager puts in that much more time than the coaches.
    This statement makes sense to me. To think that Molitor is not ambitious is not logical. This isn't a hobby and he isn't going through the motions. He's working it. But he does have affection for this organization. I have to think he would choose a Manager position if offered, but not with just any team, and I believe he would prefer that team to be the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post

So what do the Twins do? If Molitor succeeds, likely so do the Twins, at least compared to recent seasons. This would likely mean Ron Gardenhire would also try to lay claim to the turnaround.
    Do you mean like every other boss claims credit for success? If things are turned-around, all of Gardenhire's superiors will also claim credit. Will the Twins change managers if things have turned-around? Why would they? Success doesn't bring change--especially with this organization. If Gardenhire gets replaced it will be because he just leaves or things didn't improve.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    If they do well at all "with all these unpredictable injuries", and Gardy wants to stay, does anyone really think they'll not extend him again? Really? They extended him after three straight awful years. I think it is up to Gardy......which makes me sad, since I assume, based on all reports, he's the one that wanted Bartlett and Gruyere on this roster.
    Lighten up Francis....