Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posnanski's Intentional Walk Rage Scale and Gardy

Posnanski's Intentional Walk Rage Scale and Gardy

Posnanski - one of my all-time favorite writers - created the Intentional Walk Rage Scale (IWRS) and wrote about it at hardballtalk. Although it is mostly just hilarious, it does have some analytical value, IMO. Naturally, the writers at SB Nation decided to create a 2014 leader board for IWRS. It should be fun to watch this year. Here's the link: http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...rs-leaderboard

One interesting thing to note is that Gardy has issued the second fewest IBB this year at 3, and the Rage/IBB is tied for lowest. In other words, he doesn't order IBBs often, and when he does, it's usually a relatively good decision.

I'm curious to hear what TD community thinks of IBB and the Twins. Ready? Go!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    IBB are a bad idea, as a general rule. It's like intentionally committing an error in the infield to give up a single. There are exceptions (only LATE in games) of course, when it might make sense. I am happy Gardy does not use them often.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The IBB has its place (runner on second or third, unfavorable matchup at the plate) but generally, I'm glad Gardy doesn't resort to using them often.

4. These 4 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (05-14-2014), Since71 (05-14-2014), snepp (05-15-2014), USAFChief (05-14-2014)

Mike wants wins and Brock - agree completely that IBB are very very rarely considered a good idea. But I would have guessed Gardy favored them, considering how he doesn't pay much attention to advanced metrics and loves the hit-and-run, sac bunts, moving the runner over, etc. It looks like the Twins have been pretty middle of the road on IBB. From 2010 - 2013, they've issued 130 - 7th in the AL. The Red Sox only issued 84 and the Orioles issued 155.

I'd be curious to see how Gardy fell on the IWRS over his career.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    Interesting analysis.

It actually doesn't surprise me too much about Gardy. How many times have people screamed (figuratively) in chat for Gardy to hand out an IBB (looking at your ABs, David Ortiz and Miguel Cabrera)?

Always the chance that somebody will come up behind them and make the IBB a bad choice but it seems like there are a handful of players where an IBB might be advisable at times.

Gardy has been down on them since Nick Punto got one and sprained a thumb sliding head first into 1st base.

8. These 5 users like Since71's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-14-2014), mike wants wins (05-14-2014), Paul Pleiss (05-15-2014), Sconnie (05-15-2014), snepp (05-15-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    I think Bonds was walked intentionally once with the bases loaded. Be interesting to know how that one scored.

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Frasier Law View Post
    Mike wants wins and Brock - agree completely that IBB are very very rarely considered a good idea. But I would have guessed Gardy favored them, considering how he doesn't pay much attention to advanced metrics and loves the hit-and-run, sac bunts, moving the runner over, etc. It looks like the Twins have been pretty middle of the road on IBB. From 2010 - 2013, they've issued 130 - 7th in the AL. The Red Sox only issued 84 and the Orioles issued 155.

One of life's great mysteries indeed, when Gardy and I appear to agree.....
    Lighten up Francis....

11. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (05-15-2014)

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    Intentional walks have their place, and the unintentional intentional walk where you just throw junk to good hitters and hope they swing does even moreso. Certainly could have put Ortiz on a couple times yesterday...
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    Maybe it falls into a "get after it" or "battle one's tail off" category in Gardy's mind.

As in, he'd rarely ever walk a guy intentionally, because he'd rather face the challenge head on (whether it makes strategic sense or not)...?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    I think Bonds was walked intentionally once with the bases loaded. Be interesting to know how that one scored.
    Bonds was definitely walked at least once with the bases loaded. I remember it happening.

Looked it up. Bonds had it done to him. No surprise there... But Hamilton was also issued an IBB with the bases loaded in 2008.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts

Actually, since Gardy took over, the Twins are 26th in the majors in IBB and 21st in sac bunts. (They also are #1 in bunt hit percentage but only middle of the road on the actual number of bunt hits).

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries

It is interesting that Gardy has historically shied away from the IBB without paying attention to metrics while other teams continue to use it.

Then again, not issuing IBB fits in with the Twins' MO of "don't issue BB, period".

Liked 1,680 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    IBB's have the intangible value of saving wear and tear on other relievers by getting an extra out or two from a LOOGY or ROOGY. They also speed up late innings compared to an extra pitcher change.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Actually, since Gardy took over, the Twins are 26th in the majors in IBB and 21st in sac bunts. (They also are #1 in bunt hit percentage but only middle of the road on the actual number of bunt hits).
    These stats are the opposite of what I would except re: sac bunts. That makes me pretty happy. How about attempted steals?

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    I wouldn't have expected sac bunts to be middle of the pack either. Steals will be down since Revere was traded, I bet.

Senior Member MVP
    I admit it. While at the game last night, I did mutter "just stop pitching to him already" after the 2nd or third blast off Ortiz's bat.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And remember, just like last year with Robinson Cano, when he single-handedly was allowed to beat the Twins each game of a four-game series at Target Field, Gardenhire's pre-series talk with the team started with this: "We will not allow David Ortiz to beat us."

And true enough, the Twins have lost only one game to David Ortiz so far.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Twins Cap View Post
    And remember, just like last year with Robinson Cano, when he single-handedly was allowed to beat the Twins each game of a four-game series at Target Field, Gardenhire's pre-series talk with the team started with this: "We will not allow David Ortiz to beat us."

And true enough, the Twins have lost only one game to David Ortiz so far.
    I'd say Kevin Correia has lost one game to the Red Sox so far. Let's not gloss over that the Twins gave up nine runs last night. Unless I missed something, David Ortiz did not hit nine homers in last night's game.

23. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-15-2014), Sconnie (05-15-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Re: Ortiz in this series. I have no problem with the Twins continued insistence against putting him on base. Every time he's hit a HR, the bases have been empty. Unless there are already 2 outs and the guy after him is complete garbage, don't give up the IBB.

25. These 2 users like Beezer07's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (05-15-2014), mike wants wins (05-15-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast