Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parmelee... What happens after?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    I think we're missing the obvious option. There has been no production from the CF spot, and the Twins clearly don't give a crap about OF defense.

Ladies and Gentlemen, meet your new centerfielder:

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    My eyes hurt now......
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 88 Times in 31 Posts
    Arcia has officially been optioned to AAA FWIW

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I think we're missing the obvious option. There has been no production from the CF spot, and the Twins clearly don't give a crap about OF defense.

Ladies and Gentlemen, meet your new centerfielder:

http://giphy.com/gifs/ObXgWWGHzMlVe

5. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-14-2014)

Disappointed that Arcia was optioned to AAA. Kubel clearly needs a break and Arcia would be a better, if less than ideal option, in CF.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No problem with Arcia being optioned for 2-3 weeks. he's missed enough games where it will do him some good for a short time. It's very likely the situation will sort itself out with a a OF getting hurt or remaining unproductive not being able to break out of a slump. Just DFA Hammer and be done with it.

Hicks stays until Fuld is healthy then is sent down. Santana goes down once Arcia is called back up. I like Nunez as the 25th guy with Parm, Kubel, Arcia eventually being the other OF on the roster.

Can TR not find a team needing a reliever & flip one for a backup CF?

I hope by July they are moving or straight up DFA guys like Corriea, Burton, Duensing, Willingham so we can see Meyer, May, Darnell, Escobar, & Parm in the second half & not just in September. May especialy really seems to be putting himself back on the top prospect radar.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Kubel and Colabello haven't been hitting (much) since their uberhot start. Kubel just sat for three days.
    And both went Ohfer last night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I think as long as he's showing signs of competence at the plate, he stays no matter what happens with others. For one thing, there's still too many pitchers, for another Santana is likely headed back to Rochester, and finally Hicks can be sent down if necessary.
    Agreed, he's hit well enough (AAA and bigs) that they would lose him, we're get DFA'd

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
    Arcia has officially been optioned to AAA FWIW
    I found it
    http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/...r_min&c_id=min

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given Arcia's continued wrist soreness, this should come as no surprise.

DFA Kubel

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another golden opportunity for Parmelee, glad to see him take advantage of it so far. Not a single strikeout looking.

edit: Guess who didn't see the game yesterday? (He had two)
    Last edited by Willihammer; 05-15-2014 at 08:55 AM.

14. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ericchri (05-15-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Arcia is essentially continuing his rehab by the Twins optioning him to Rochester which can only be good for him. More time to heal in order to be ready when he does come back up later in the season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    The Twins are comfortable with the # of healthy outfielders on their 25 man roster - why would you want to have Arcia up when you can start your choice of Danny Santana or Eduardo Nuñez?

j/k - Arcia should benefit from some time in the minors with a nagging injury and a slow start.

My guess is that Willingham's rehab stint will be short and he'll be called up much faster than Arcia will be because the Twins love their old guys.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    Arcia is essentially continuing his rehab by the Twins optioning him to Rochester which can only be good for him. More time to heal in order to be ready when he does come back up later in the season.
    This is costing the Twins (and Arcia) an option (his last?). In making predictions for this year, I predicted that Arcia would spend some time in Rochester. He homered on Tuesday and played the whole game yesterday. I don't know if the wrist is still bothering him some or not, but there's an opportunity for him if he gets his act together.

Hammer probably needs a few games of live pitching. It would surprise me if he's ready to go for the Twins next road trip.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    This is costing the Twins (and Arcia) an option (his last?).
    Unless I'm missing something, Arcia should still have one option remaining.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think when Hammer is ready to come back that someone from the bullpen gets sent down. I dont think it makes sense to take another OF away from this team that needs all the OF depth it can get at this point. If you lose Hicks then Santana is your everday CF with no reaon backup option. That's not okay. Not even close to okay.

Hicks continues to get on base. He's got a .310 OBP, as of this morning, i believe, so that's not awful. Give the guy some credit, and leave him on the roster.

Gardy wants to get back to a 12 man staff, so I think losing a pitcher when hammer comes back makes sense. I think both Parm and Hicks should, and will, stay with the club for the forseeable future.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 173 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing I really like about this season is that the Twins as a whole, FO, Gardy and his staff, seem less reluctant to change. They don't seem so resistant to making moves that have to be made. Now some of this is due to necessity. But when push came to shove in ST, the staff stuck with Gibson over hope and veteran experience such as Diamond and Worley. They stuck with Thielbar when there were other journeymen in camp. They brought Tonkin right back up. They kept Pinto instead of sending him down. They sent Florimon and Pelfrey out, even if later than they should have. They brought up Santana over a veteran such as Bernier, who was actually swinging a hot bat at the time. I believe they generally realize what we all do...it's time to move forward where and when you can.

At some point in ST I honestly believe the entire staff as a whole had a conversation that basically said; "Deduno needs to be in the rotation. But if we're going to commit to Gibson to start the season along with Pelfrey and Correia, and with Deduno coming off his surgery, I think we need to just slide him to the pen to start the season. Bring him along slowly and plug him in when we need him. And no matter how good he's looked for us, not sure he's a 30+ plus start guy. I/we think he might be the best #5 starter around if we can just keep him at 160-170 IP max, or about 28 starts."

My opinion.

Also my opinion:

Despite youth and inexperience, I believe the Twins just might have the best overall talent in the middle infield they've had in years with Dozier, Escobar, Santana and Nunez. There is real talent, flexibility and potential there. And I don't want to lose that. I also don't want to see young talent languishing on the bench. So there has to be a fine line where Gardy keeps everyone playing and involved.

With Fuld still out of the picture, I see a soon to be roster of Suzuki and Pinto at C. Mauer, Plouffe, Dozier, Escobar, Nunez, Santana and Colabello in the infield, Hammer, Kubel, Hicks, Arcia and Parmelee in the OF. Perkins, Burton, Fien, Swarzak, Tonkin, Duensing and Thielbar in the bullpen. The rotation is Nolasco, Hughes, Gibson, Deduno, and, UGH, Pelfrey or Correia.

Thielbar and Tonkin have each had a couple rough outings lately. But you HAVE to stick with them at this point. They are talented and part of our future. And with little exception, most relievers, like all pitchers have a bad outing or two. And despite decent depth, are you really going to promote some journeyman to replace these talented youngsters? Big mistake if you do.

If you added things up, then you know this is a 26 man roster. I don't know where the cut takes place unless somewhere there exists someone on the DL.

Even if you replace Santana with a healthy Fuld, there still has to be a move made. So for now, I'm going to cheat.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Why are we talking about DFA'ing Willingham when the Twins have gotten no production out of their OF'ers?

IF Parmelee keeps hitting then there is still room for Willingham. Colabello and Kubel are showing that they are expendable or bench guys. Arcia will spend some time in AAA but even when he comes back up there is room on the team for guys that can actually hit.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I don't see a place for Colabello on this roster when Willingham returns. Parmelee can spell Mauer at first, Josh is a better right handed bat.

23. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (05-18-2014), USAFChief (05-18-2014)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast