Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The over/under on Correia

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries

The over/under on Correia

So, Kevin threw another clunker last night. I think his days are numbered.

What's the over/under on Corriea being removed from the rotation?

My guess is May 25th.

Secondly, who replaces him? Right now, I'd split the odds between Pelfrey and May, dependent on how May pitches over his next couple of starts.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    May 25 sounds about right....
    Being it's the Twins, I wouldn't even split the odds, it's probably a slam dunk it's Pelfrey. <sigh>

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sorney View Post
    May 25 sounds about right....
    Being it's the Twins, I wouldn't even split the odds, it's probably a slam dunk it's Pelfrey. <sigh>
    I think it all depends on May. If he throws two more good starts, that would put four of his last five starts as quality. I think that might be enough to get the call.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Pelfrey. Veteraniness....

edit: as evidence, I offer Matt Gruyere
    Last edited by mike wants wins; 05-15-2014 at 08:10 AM.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    June 1. I expect him to develop a groin injury

6. This user likes pierre75275's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (05-15-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Pelfrey. Veteraniness....
    I don't think the Twins are in any hurry to bring back Mike Pelfrey, particularly if he struggles with velocity in AAA.

This team is 18-20 and in a much stronger position than last season to stay in the hunt. I think the Twins will start getting more aggressive to put quality players on the field over struggling veterans, which is why I think Correia will be gone after two more starts if he continues to struggle.

Though I'm sure we'll see Mike Pelfrey in a Twins uniform again at some point.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Whenever it mercifully happens...Darnell?

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I don't think the Twins are in any hurry to bring back Mike Pelfrey, particularly if he struggles with velocity in AAA.

This team is 18-20 and in a much stronger position than last season to stay in the hunt. I think the Twins will start getting more aggressive to put quality players on the field over struggling veterans, which is why I think Correia will be gone after two more starts if he continues to struggle.

Like Matt Gruyere? That "quality"?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

I hope you are correct (minus the Pelfrey back in a Twins uni part)!! That would be awesome

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Like Matt Gruyere? That "quality"?
    A bad decision, to be sure... But one that has much less impact than a starting pitcher.

They didn't hesitate to make room for Parmelee when the need arose. I think they'll do the same if Correia continues to struggle.

12. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mike Frasier Law (05-15-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sorney View Post
    I hope you are correct (minus the Pelfrey back in a Twins uni part)!! That would be awesome
    If Pelfrey is throwing 92+ mph, he has value. I won't mind at all if the Twins bring him back if he's healthy and productive.

Senior Member MVP
    A bad decision, to be sure... But one that has much less impact than a starting pitcher.

They didn't hesitate to make room for Parmelee when the need arose. I think they'll do the same if Correia continues to struggle.
    I admire your hope in the FO, despite all the missteps this year.
    Lighten up Francis....

15. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-15-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I admire your hope in the FO, despite all the missteps this year.
    Not everything has been a misstep. They didn't hesitate to give Gibson a spot in the rotation out of Spring Training. They've been playing Pinto regularly. Arcia had a starting spot before the injury. They pulled the plug on Pelfrey pretty quickly and replaced him with Deduno.

I understand that the Twins have bungled several bench roles this season but honestly, it gets really tiring to see people use their back-of-the-bench decisions to invalidate the things they've done right this season.

It shouldn't work that way. Feel free to criticize the Twins for doing stupid things. The fans and media should do that but not at the expense of ignoring the things they've done right. Give credit where credit is due. The Twins have made some aggressive moves this season that helped the team, just as they've made some dumb decisions that cost the team some games.

17. These 6 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Ben Noble (05-15-2014), Joe A. Preusser (05-15-2014), mahukey1 (05-15-2014), Mike Frasier Law (05-15-2014), twinsnorth49 (05-15-2014), WLFINN (05-21-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Signing Pelfrey was not a "bench role" decision, was it?

I have given them credit for Suzuki. And have been pleased Pinto and Gibson are on the roster. If every post has to praise every good decision, and rip every bad decision, not sure what to do. IMO, they've done more wrong for the LT good of the team this year, than they've done right. I have no issue with others concluding otherwise.

I certainly praised them for trying to fix the SP. Other than that, I'd hardly call the offseason aggressive, for either the LT or the ST. Again, I have no issue with people drawing different conclusions.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Signing Pelfrey was not a "bench role" decision, was it?
    The Twins had no reason to expect Mike Pelfrey to start throwing at 90mph with no control. He finished out the second half of last season throwing 92+ with decent control.

There was no reason to expect Mike Pelfrey to be this bad or to throw this slowly based on how he performed last season outside of "I hate Mike Pelfrey".

Mike Pelfrey, at his best, is a decent back-of-the-rotation guy. Teams need those guys to fill out a rotation, though the second year was baffling (and that's my problem with the entire situation). If the Twins signed Mike Pelfrey and sat on their hands, I would have been furious. They didn't do that. They picked up a decent #2/3, a reclamation project with big upside, and then they picked up Pelfrey. Considering their rotation woes last season and how many pitchers they ran through the rotation, I won't criticize them for being overly cautious and padding the back of the rotation a bit to prevent running out multiple AAAA guys at once.

But the second year shouldn't have been offered. It just shouldn't.

Anyway, back to my point about assuming incompetence from the front office with trite statements. It's not clever and it doesn't add anything to the conversation. Instead of moaning about the front office's supposed incompetence, why not offer a solution for what you'd like to see happen? Isn't that pretty obviously the point of this thread in the first place?

20. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Gene Larkin Fan Club (05-21-2014), Tibs (05-15-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    I'd like to see KC cut. Not on the roster at all. The second year was a mistake, a mistake they repeated this year. I'd like May up.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Hopefully May will continue to pitch well in Rochester and essentially force the Twins hands and make them bring him up instead of Pelf.

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Gruyere is one of my favorite cheeses ....

Guerrier is not one of my favorite pitchers.

24. These 2 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

kab21 (05-16-2014), Paul Pleiss (05-15-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    Hopefully May will continue to pitch well in Rochester and essentially force the Twins hands and make them bring him up instead of Pelf.
    That's what I'm hoping as well.

Inversely, I'd like to see Meyer continue to excessively throw his change and struggle a bit in the short-term. I think it's best if he stays down in the minors and pressure is taken off both him and the front office to call him up as he works on a new pitch.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    That's what I'm hoping as well.

Inversely, I'd like to see Meyer continue to excessively throw his change and struggle a bit in the short-term. I think it's best if he stays down in the minors and pressure is taken off both him and the front office to call him up as he works on a new pitch.
    I agree with this thought as well. Clearly Meyer is the most important pitching prospect in the short term, so the Twins need to protect him, which in this case, means allowing him to refine/develop this change-up in Rochester.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast