Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The over/under on Correia

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Gruyere is one of my favorite cheeses ....

Guerrier is not one of my favorite pitchers.
    Ditto
    And I do not understand the analogy.
    The cheese is Grew-air and the pitcher is Goo-rear. Close but not cigar.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As far as the original question goes about Correia's over and under: He is a pitch to contact type pitcher (I know, what a revelation.) And the perceived performance of these types is BABIP susceptible: If you have .350ish BABIP so far (Correia), you are awful, if you have .182 BABIP the last 365 days (Thielbar) you are great.

It is what it is and the choices people make. Still, I'd rather see May up soon.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 3,187 Times in 1,365 Posts
    I'll take the over.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2 more starts in a row that are "quality starts" might save his job. That's all he gets.

When is the super 2 deadline?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heimer View Post
    When is the super 2 deadline?
    Usually some time between June 5-15th, I believe.

Ok May will be up after that point. As for Correia thanks for being our best pitcher last year but your just not good.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlier View Post
    I expected a move to be made if he struggled last night, and I'm a little surprised nothing has happened. He hasn't pitched well this year, but at least the first few starts he averaged 6+ innings; now it's closer to 4. If for no other sake than that of the bullpen, it's a shame if he gets another start.
    Actually, Correia might be an upgrade for the pen too. Tonkin has promise but has been pretty useless this year, both in terms of his performance and his apparent role. He should be in AAA anyway. Swarzak has been pretty shaky too. We lost Deduno to the rotation, and our only reinforcement has been another shaky performer in Guerrier.

I have no idea what promises were made to Correia, though -- I recall he didn't like being demoted from the Pittsburgh rotation a few years back, and given recent roster moves, it would not surprise me in the least if the Twins promised Correia a starting role.

(All of the above applies the same to Pelfrey too, whenever he's "healthy" I guess.)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    If healthy, I have more faith in Pelfrey becoming a bullpen arm than Correia. At least the guy throws hard and in the pen, it won't hurt him so badly to rely on a single pitch.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Not to mention that Meyer is refining a new pitch and, unsurprisingly, is struggling with it.

Now is not the time to call up Alex Meyer. Let him develop the new pitch against AAA hitting.
    I guess I don't see how he's struggling. Three out of the last four starts have been dominant. Maybe you mean he's been struggling to control it. But how important is change-up control? If he throws 10 of them in the dirt for Ks over a 100-pitch outing, I'm fine with that. You don't usually try to throw strikes with it. He's throwing it 40 times a game to get the feel for it, and guys are laying off. So he's walking more guys. Still, he had four base runners in five innings last night, all on walks.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    We're going to have KC for at least two more months. He's going to throw 2 solid games and buy himself more time to rile up the TD board.

I really don't have a problem with the Twins picking up 1 guy like KC or Pelfrey to fill out the rotation. The problem is that they have 2 of them. They also picked up KC immediately in FA 2 years ago and they signed Pelfrey when there were still very good options available in FA. I remember a thread where several people on here believed that the Twins couldn't pick up Ervin no matter how cheap he was because Pelfrey had the last spot. Ervin has been awesome. Pelfrey not so much.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I remember a thread where several people on here believed that the Twins couldn't pick up Ervin no matter how cheap he was because Pelfrey had the last spot. Ervin has been awesome. Pelfrey not so much.
    And that argument has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with the team and how it structures itself.

The Twins boxed themselves in with signing both guys, that's the problem.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If healthy, I have more faith in Pelfrey becoming a bullpen arm than Correia. At least the guy throws hard and in the pen, it won't hurt him so badly to rely on a single pitch.
    I should have clarified, Correia would just be more of a long/mop-up man. Still, that gives Swarzak a little more help in that role, or hopefully frees Swarzak for more valuable long relief appearances if he returns to 2013 form. Right now it feels like we are patching together too many short relievers at times (albeit largely in relief of Correia!). Tonkin in particular seems to serve no great function at the moment, neither setup nor long guy.

Pelfrey, in theory, could be more a setup guy, with health and velocity.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I guess I don't see how he's struggling. Three out of the last four starts have been dominant. Maybe you mean he's been struggling to control it. But how important is change-up control? If he throws 10 of them in the dirt for Ks over a 100-pitch outing, I'm fine with that. You don't usually try to throw strikes with it. He's throwing it 40 times a game to get the feel for it, and guys are laying off. So he's walking more guys. Still, he had four base runners in five innings last night, all on walks.
    If AAA guys are laying off the pitch, there's just about a zero chance a MLB hitter will swing at the offering unless his name is Delmon Young.

And I'm not sure why you think it's unimportant to get a changeup over the plate. It's not a slider, where you trick the hitter into thinking it's a strike as it dives off the plate. I think it's a must to get a changeup over the plate in case the hitter doesn't swing (which in turn forces the hitter to swing at it if he fears it will get over the plate for a strike call).

Senior Member All-Star
    If AAA guys are laying off the pitch, there's just about a zero chance a MLB hitter will swing at the offering unless his name is Delmon Young.

And I'm not sure why you think it's unimportant to get a changeup over the plate. It's not a slider, where you trick the hitter into thinking it's a strike as it dives off the plate. I think it's a must to get a changeup over the plate in case the hitter doesn't swing (which in turn forces the hitter to swing at it if he fears it will get over the plate for a strike call).
    The trick is getting hitters to think it will be a strike and that might take time to master (in AAA) depending where he is at with the pitch.

I honestly wouldn't have a problem if they called up Meyer tomorrow. He's a 24 yr old college starter with 2 successful seasons of pro experience and pitched in AA last year. I'm also not going to be concerned if he spends 2 more months in the minors and gets called up in July.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    And that argument has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with the team and how it structures itself.

The Twins boxed themselves in with signing both guys, that's the problem.
    Yes.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    The trick is getting hitters to think it will be a strike and that might take time to master (in AAA) depending where he is at with the pitch.
    Absolutely. That's my point.

I honestly wouldn't have a problem if they called up Meyer tomorrow. He's a 24 yr old college starter with 2 successful seasons of pro experience and pitched in AA last year. I'm also not going to be concerned if he spends 2 more months in the minors and gets called up in July.
    Same here. If the Twins think he's ready, I'll defer to their judgment. They get to see the kid pitch and talk to him every day.

I simply think the likelihood of them calling him up as he's developing a new pitch is very low.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins are 18 - 12 when Pelfry and Corriea do not get a decision. They are 1-8. If the Twins went 4-5 instead, we are in the wild card lead and only a few games behind Detroit.

If Escobar is the solution at SS
    and the Twins decide to platoon Hicks and Fuld in CF so as not to be too big a hole, that essentially puts the Twins 1 solid starting pitcher away from competing for the playoffs.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely. That's my point.

Same here. If the Twins think he's ready, I'll defer to their judgment. They get to see the kid pitch and talk to him every day.

I simply think the likelihood of them calling him up as he's developing a new pitch is very low.
    Yeah. This is one instance where Gardy can't get his way, and implement his dream scenario from Spring Training, of Meyer in a RP role. Anthony put the big damper on the chances for any Meyer appearances with the Twins any time soon in his recent interview. And because of Anthony's now-public pronouncements on Meyer's inning limitations and evidenced in their extreme precautionary measures in pulling Meyer out of last night's game after 5 no-hit innings, I'm not sure if he gets the call-up this year at all, unless massive physical breakdowns take place, or both Correia and Pelfrey are no longer options on or around July 31.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trevor May should be the guy. Absolutely. It might be Darnell though.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast